Anyone else NOT have a great body and loves dressing up for formal night?

I am pleasingly plump, not obese, but am flabby and will NOT be caught in a sleeveless or revealing dress.(Yes, I know about wraps/shawls but do not like them) Does anyone else try to cover up and still do formal nights? I still enjoy the palazzo pants with a very dressy top with some sleeve....am I the only one who does this?

Don't you know that all the rest of us have perfect bodies? Ha Ha - if only it were so. I'm sure that whatever you wear you will look lovely. I'm always impressed on formal nights at how elegant everyone looks. Formal nights, to me, are one of the most fun parts of cruising.

Kim,

I hear you! I found a great site called Zaftique that has great dresses for formal night. I ordered one and it came today and it is gorgeous. And it has sleeves, and doesn't look too matronly. I prefer dresses to pants for formal nights, just personal preference. Take a look at the site - http://www.zaftique.com.

Maybe you'll find something you like.

Susan

I think there are more less than perfect bodies on cruise ships than perfect ones!

I've seen more than one lovely lady ruin her look by exposing areas of her body that could have easily been covered with a different style.

Personally I think all shapes and sizes can look great, if they know how to dress their shape. Even the stars on the red carpet make mistakes and wear clothing that isn't flattering, so don't be shy about trying new styles.

So, go shopping, try on everything you see, even stuff you don't think you will like, you may be surprised. Many times a cut of pant, or fullness of skirt, or length of sleeve can make a difference in your whole appearance. Get to know what neckline suits you best, what hemline is most flattering to your leg.

Take a trusted and honest girlfriend, someone who isn't afraid they will hurt your feelings. I'd rather go through a little hurt feelings in the dressing room rather than looking at a photo of myself is a perfectly horrid outfit.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with wearing a sleeve to formal night. Although I will wear sleeveless at times, I also have evening jackets. I'm one who would not take kindly to a wrap, I don't really care to have anything along that I have to adjust or keep track of, other than an evening bag.

I have read a lot of posts on this site where people have some strong opinions on "formal night". I feel that people should wear what makes them feel good. Not everyone feel comfortable wearing an "evening gown". If it looks like something that you would wear to a nice restaurant than wear it, no matter WHAT it is. I am picky about what I wear because I am not "skinny". I most certainly will not stress myself out trying to find what someone else might like. If I feel comfortable I am going to wear it! Who cares what others think....you'll probably never see them again anyway! Heck...this is vacation....why worry....

You should find a style of dress or outfit that you are comfortable wearing and you think looks great on you. No one has a perfect body but anyone can look beautiful in the right outfit. The confidence that looking great brings makes a woman shine IMHO.

I have seen many elegant dresses and outfits with sleeves. With a basic long skirt or pair of palazzo pants there are many options. I love the matching camisole/sheer jacket type outfits and feel they are very flattering. Just go try some stuff on and you will get a feel for what looks good and makes you feel good.

I am pleasingly plump, not obese, but am flabby and will NOT be caught in a sleeveless or revealing dress.(Yes, I know about wraps/shawls but do not like them) Does anyone else try to cover up and still do formal nights? I still enjoy the palazzo pants with a very dressy top with some sleeve....am I the only one who does this?[/quote

When I got married, my mom wanted me to wear something with out sleeves. I told her to forget it, I had to have sleeves!!! I go round and round looking for something with sleeves for formal nights.

I am pleasingly plump, not obese, but am flabby and will NOT be caught in a sleeveless or revealing dress.(Yes, I know about wraps/shawls but do not like them) Does anyone else try to cover up and still do formal nights? I still enjoy the palazzo pants with a very dressy top with some sleeve....am I the only one who does this?

All of us have a part of our body that we don't think is perfect. If you feel better with palazzo pants and a dressy top that is great...whatever makes you feel good!

Payd:)

Kim,

I hear you! I found a great site called Zaftique that has great dresses for formal night. I ordered one and it came today and it is gorgeous. And it has sleeves, and doesn't look too matronly. I prefer dresses to pants for formal nights, just personal preference. Take a look at the site - www.zaftique.com.

Susan

Susan, great website!!! Have you ever purchased anything from Zaftique.com? I found some really nice dresses! Thanks for the info!!!

The perfect body?:eek: :confused: hmmm...I don't have one and never have....

Many, many years ago I smoked and was a size 6~did I think I had

a perfect body back then? Nope.

I quit smoking in 1991-92 and gained weight.....I am now (many

years later) a size 14.

I have never had the perfect body, whether I was small or large.

I don't know anyone (personally) that has a perfect body.

She might be out there, but I don't know her;)

Oh, do I still love dressing up on formal nights? You bet:)!!!!

I am also a little more fluffy, especially on the top, and don't like to have my flabby arms showing! This is a great site. If anyone has ordered any of these, I would like to know if they are "true to size". I love the red one! Now I am gonna go and look at them again...........Nightingail.

I do not love my underarms which I have been covering, but a couple years ago I just accepted this is it and its my vacation and I love sleeveless shirts and dresses. I have struggled with weight since my hysterectomy and my body seems happy to be a size 12/14. So when I go into a store now I buy them and wear them and I'm happy and if someone has a problem with my underarm issue..it is their problem. So if you see me on my Oct. 27 trip I will be the one smiling and happy with the sleevless formal dress because I think that I look fine in it.;)

Missygirl

Missygirl...you have a GREAT attitude! I agree that women should not have to worry about pleasing other women. We all need to feel good about ourselves and what we are wearing. If a sleeveless top makes you feel happy than that is GREAT! After all, aren't we supposed to be happy when on vacation? (or any other time for that matter) Maybe I am going on about this, but it aggravates me when people specifically say what others should or should not be wearing on formal night! Granted, I wouldn't wear capris or anything like that, but something that looks nice and dressy in my opinion is FINE. AND, if I feel great wearing it, that's even better! I'm actually heading out to the mall right now to pick out my outfit for formal night....hope I find something good....:)

It took me about the first 40 years of my life to get over my imperfect body. Oh, how I wish I still had that body of my teens that I agonized over so much back then :p I'm determined not to allow poor body image to detract from my enjoyment of life from now on!

I agree with missygirl completely. While I do pay attention to what I'm wearing and there are just certain areas I don't feel comfortable exposing, I'm not going to hold back because of what someone else may not like about me. I'll wear my shorts in the heat and if you don't like my spider veins, look somewhere else! I'm not going to hold myself back any longer because of other people.

I do have to say that my teenage daughter has the same body issues as I did as a teen, I think we all do. I'm doing my best to encourage her to not feel bad about any part of her body. I'm also not telling her, like my mother did to me, to worry what the neighbors may think. I'm encouraging her and my son to be themselves and not to worry about what others may think. In all honesty, most of us are so worried about ourselves we don't pay that much attention to others.

I have a deformed leg due to polio as a 2 year old, so I cannot wear heeled shoes of any height. It's not easy wearing really dressy formal clothes when you have to wear flats, but I don't care what anyone says. Sometimes I wear a long black, sleeveless dress, and wear a fancy georgette blouse over it, or I have a beautiful beaded jacket I wear over the dress. And I also wear the flowy pants with fancy tops. As long as you feel good about yourself, don't worry about anything.

Henepup,

Yes, I received my dress from Zaftique yesterday. I got the Prima Donna dress in garnet and it is gorgeous. I wear and 18 or a 1x and ordered the dress in a 1z and it fits perfectly. Also, it is very comfortable, feels like a nightgown! The only caveat I would have is that if you are short the dress might be too long on you, I am 5'7" and the length is perfect. You could always order one of the shorter dresses. I will definitely be ordering from them again!

Susan

Kim,

I hear you! I found a great site called Zaftique that has great dresses for formal night. I ordered one and it came today and it is gorgeous. And it has sleeves, and doesn't look too matronly. I prefer dresses to pants for formal nights, just personal preference. Take a look at the site - www.zaftique.com.

Susan

Susan,

Thank you so much for sharing the Zaftique site:D ! I just saw two dresses that I plan to buy for our spring break cruise in March 2008! Thank you, thank you!!!!:)

Most of my life I was a thin girl. Some would say skinny. Then "bam" menopause hit and all of a sudden I too am fluffy! Had a hard time with it at first, but now, I'm so over it! I dress to please myself first and then my DH. As long as he continues to love the way I look I'm fine! He's the one I want to look great for!

http://www.davidsbridal.com/specialoccasions.jsp

David's Bridal sells their dresses in many sizes. I have purchased 3 dresses from them, I wear a 16 and I feel very nice when I dress in their dresses. My DH thinks I look very nice. I am 60 years old, I KNOW I do not have a very nice figure, or upper arms etc. There are a lot of ladies on the ship that look a lot better than me and lot that may not look as nice as me. But most important is I feel nice.

I stayed away from cruising for years because I thought only 'beautiful people' cruised. I only hurt my DH and myself. NO more, I buy nice quality clothing that fits, is clean and well cared for and always try to look my best. That is the best I can do. My DH thinks I am beautiful - what more could I want?

I've seen more than one lovely lady ruin her look by exposing areas of her body that could have easily been covered with a different style.

I'll wear my shorts in the heat and if you don't like my spider veins, look somewhere else! I'm not going to hold myself back any longer because of other people.

I'm afraid you are contradicting yourself! Can you expose problem areas or no? ;)

No really, I'm just kiddding, hee hee. :) It is a difficult issue. I think that you all have an awesome attitude and are right, we more likely judge ourselves than notice what others are wearing. There are many options out there that look great!

Hi everyone...

Im a larger lady and i have to say i dont give a flying fig what people think of how i dress, i know i dress " appropriatley" for my size and i enjoy clothes and have had many compliments on my dress sense. I no longer worry about exposing my less than perfect upper arms, i have seen far worse sights when " Ladies of a certain age" feel its still ok for them to wear lycra and mini skirts!.... Sheesh!

No one has run screaming from my company when i wear a swimsuit, children dont weep when i wear my shorts and camisoles so where's the problem?

As they say " you are a long time dead!" so enjoy life and dont fret over a few extra lumps and bumps... be cuddly and be proud!

;) .... Kim x

I'm afraid you are contradicting yourself! Can you expose problem areas or no? ;)

No really, I'm just kiddding, hee hee. :) It is a difficult issue. I think that you all have an awesome attitude and are right, we more likely judge ourselves than notice what others are wearing. There are many options out there that look great!

I know it sounds weird, but I'll cover up my chub before I'll cover up my spider veins! I don't happen to think of spider veins as a problem area, but I'd not wear a midriff baring top, or a tight shirt, showing off my belly fat!

I suppose problem area may mean something different to a all of us ;) .

I occasionally see people, both men and women, wearing T-shirts stretched over bellies with stuff hanging out below. They don't have a problem with it, but I think they would look so much nicer wearing clothes that fit and flatter.

It doesn't sound weird. I think everyone has spots they consider senstive and would prefer to cover. That is just natural!

I didn't mean to pick you out :) , but I think it is odd that some people saying they don't care about what other people think, and everyone should wear what they want, etc. etc.. But then they turn right around and condemn others for doing so.

Archived