Worst Illness You've Had While Traveling

diveoz

Being sick is never good. But being sick half way around the world with the possibility of being left in some strange hospital is not a comforting feeling, although it beats having no hospital. The alternative is to stay healthy and enjoy your vacation, and of course, to be lucky.

Exactly ,

Being in Emergency services , it does cross my mind sometimes on vacation, especially on some of these small islands, what kind of emergency and medical services they provide. How long would it take for help to get to me, where will they take me, what kind of facility will I be going to and what kind of technology do they have there to help me.

thats one area where you do wish for all the comforts of home

Do yourself a huge favor and look into MedJetAssist Insurance. Unlike some of the other travel insurance, MedJet lets you select which hospital you will be air evacuated to in the event of requiring such a service. It is a yearly premium and quite moderate. At least you are not told where you will be going whether you approve or not.

For those who are AARP, there is a meaningful discount if you give your AARP number.

That's our major concern. We don't worry about trip cancellation/trip interruption at this stage of our cruising career. We worry about a potential for medical evacuation. That is where real heavy bills can be incurred and, of course, what could be more important than the best medical care in the event of serious illness?

Uh-oh--note to DH--Use those vacation days and step up number of cruises per year....It seems like the years to enjoy travel are soon limited by concerns noted here.:(I'm always fine with "seasoned" citizens at sea; it is just the nicest place to be to forget about the problems and drs appointments etc.Bravo! We once met a lady whose sister was also on board with us. The sister had been given a terminal diagnosis and her immediate action was to get on board for a dream trip before the drs could get a hold of her and begin the treatment and essentially confine her to the hospital.

I hope that if I ever become ill with severe cold or flu while traveling, I would get a hotel room, check in and stay put until I was less infectious. I would hate to think I boarded a plane with no thought for anyone else and coughed and sneezed by way home while infecting everyone around me.

I have not been in that position but I feel very strongly about it and hope I would think of others.

I was on the Noordam, last Dec., and they sent around a letter abut 3 days into the cruise that there were more GI complaints than usual, and to be very careful. There were hand washing stations all over the ship, and the crew was standing outside the dining room making sure that everyone washed. The cruise companies take this very seriously, and every illness is reported to the CDC.

Despite this, I had terrible cramps on the 5th day, and called the nursing office the next morning to check on their hours. I was told not to come down, and the nurse came to my room at noon, with medication and a bottle of Purell. I was "confined to quarters" for 24 hours. Luckily, my roommate had already left, so she was not locked in also. The housekeeping staff came in with masks on. I felt like Typhoid Mary!:eek: I had to fill out a CDC form, and list when the symptoms began, and where I was the days before I got sick. The nurse called the next day, and I was allowed to go out because I had no symptoms for 24 hours.

I was better the next day, and only misssed St. Thomas. Strangely, I had the same symptoms about 6 weeks later at home - without the scenery or service!!:confused:

Carole

Do yourself a huge favor and look into MedJetAssist Insurance. Unlike some of the other travel insurance, MedJet lets you select which hospital you will be air evacuated to in the event of requiring such a service. It is a yearly premium and quite moderate. At least you are not told where you will be going whether you approve or not.

For those who are AARP, there is a meaningful discount if you give your AARP number.

Absolutely agree with you Sail! In May 2005, we sailed from Norfolk, VA on the Maasdam to the Carribean for our 25th Anniversary. I had recently had an implanted pacemaker after several hospitalizations, thus we did not want any "unfortunate events" leaving us stranded on a remote island without adequate medical care. While on this cruise, I awoke in the intensive care suite of the ship's infirmary! Wow, what an experience. I fell down a complete flight of steps after dinner & woke up not knowing what had happened-result of a consussion received during the tumble. The consussion left me confused for awhile-I could not remember going to a port the previous day-later came back to me though.The care I received on the Maasdam from the ship doctor & nurse, was exceptional. They were well equipped to handle the emergency (I know as i am a nurse with critical care experience). Fortunately, we only had one more port after the fall. I was bruised & had brush burns on my face from the fall & black eye tool Another formal following the incident-those picture are quite a reminder of the whole incident! The ship doctor call our room for follow-up & cheched in on me frequently. Also, the front desk sent a beautiful plate of chocolate truffles!!!

Very sorry to hear of your accident but very happy to hear you received such excellent care. Hope none of us ever need to see the doctor professionally (let's keep it on a social level :) ) while cruising but it is comforting to know they are available in such an emergency.

I am just back from 40 days cruising on Rotterdam. I had a very freakish accident whilst playing volleyball with my teens (in an organised game). As I stretched for a ball that my son had served, I tore my calf muscle and spent the rest of the cruise in a wheelchair. The doctor and crew were very helpful and with the wonderful help from my husband I continued to see most places as planned. The doctor checked and strapped my leg daily and towards the end of the cruise put on a halfcast to help out with my determination to sightsee. On the second last day he was concerned about new swelling and suggested that I get checked for clotting when I leave the ship. We were to spend three days in Paris post cruise and then head home via Hong Kong, Bangkok and Singapore. However, I ended up spending 6 days in hospital in Paris with 2 blood clots in the leg plus an additional 3 staying nearby and returning to the hospital daily for treatment. At least I got to take the Seine River cruise and sit on the HOHO buses. We then had to fly straight home as the doctors would not permit me to make the additional flights throughout Asia. Thank goodness for travel insurance.

Thank goodness for a competent physician who guided you to being checked for those blood clots. So sorry you had this unfortunate accident and how much it impacted your vacation but very happy you received good care and can look forward to more exciting vacations in the future.

Hope you are healing well.

I second what Sail said about the physician. You were very lucky he was competent and told you to get checked. My husband worked as a dentist on some HAL cruises and it was our experience that the doctors were all very competent and concerned . Glad you're OK now.

Yes, I am very grateful for his advice - I NEARLY did not bother having them checked but was pleased to have seen some interviews on TV (just before our trip) with celebrities who had suffered with blood clots whilst travelling overseas. Thanks for the good wishes. I am improving each day - soon it will be time to plan the next cruise.

Archived