PG need stateroom advice

der93711

We are changing our plans and going on the PG instead of the Tahitian Princess. I am jumping for joy.....We are interested in a C catagory and have a hold on stateroom 742. It is under the "Le Grill". Will this room be noisy from the deck above or should we move forward to be under the pool (which on other ships is noisy) or way forward to be under the staterooms on deck 9. Locations on ships is important to us because we are light sleepers. Any feedback would be so welcomed.

Thanks,

Der

I think, if you're light sleepers planning on sleeping in late, you might want to move forward. Both the Grill and Pool areas will have noise from the chairs being moved around in the morning. I was in a cabin with another cabin overhead and never heard anything from them. I could hear my next-door neighbors, though (but they were constantly bickering).

It was a fantastic cruise overall - so much that I'm going back in 2 weeks :D !

We did a back-to-back in February 2003. We were in cabin 719. Never heard noise. There is an advantage to being in the odd-numbered cabins: More views of land during some of the cruising and a chance to see dolphins swimming along the side of the ship one morning (we did) during one of the jaunts.

Dreps

• 2 weeks later...

We cruised with Phil (Hey Phil - can't believe you are going back next week,you lucky duck!!!) in May and I would agree with him that if you are a light sleeper you should move forward so as to not be bothered by the sounds of the deck chairs being moved around. We were in 805 and there was nothing over us but a very small sun deck. We ocassionally heard the chairs being set up in the AM and it was pretty loud. Didn't bug us, but if you are a light sleeper or at all concerned about this...

Have a great time and travel safe!!

We just returned home last night after a postcruise on Manihi following B2B on the PG. 742 looks far enough back to me that you should not hear too much noise. They do clean the pool deck at 6:00 a.m. and people on deck 7 under that area said it seemed so odd to see what looked like snow coming down when the suds came down from above. This is all finished by 6:30 or so. Breakfast begins at 7:00am in Le Grill. The only C cabins that do not have open deck above them are 702-708 but the are near the front of the ship and you may feel more movement there. The PG only covers about 312 miles in their 7 day itinerary so you are mostly at anchor. The only nights we used motion sickness pills (the free ones from reception or the nurse) were the first night for the sail to Raiatea and Wednesday night moving from Bora Bora to Moorea.

You will love the PG. When she sailed out of Papeete August 28 we were up on the pool deck for the sailaway party with Siglo (fantastic band now beginning a 2 1/2 month furlough) providing great music for our party. We waved good-bye to some young folks on the Princess that had been swaying and clapping to Siglo's music. (We think they wished that they were on our ship.)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the information. We reserved a category F (level 3!) room for our March '05 cruise in order to spend the money we save on a pre-cruise trip. Has anyone ever stayed in one of these rooms? Are we missing out by not having a balcony? Any input or advise is greatly appreciated. This is our first visit to FP.

GibbsvilleGirl,

Here is what Mills said in his PG Review on the CC Review section:

So we ended up in a category D cabin, 606. Let me state this clearly: Unless cost completely prohibits you from booking a balcony, do not book a lower category! French Polynesia is so very, very beautiful! Having a balcony stateroom where you can enjoy breakfast in your robe and bask in the ever-present grandeur will really enhance your cruise.

We are also going in March 05 and have 707 booked following this advice.

I just returned from my second PG sailiing in 3 months and it was just as wonderful as the first time. Both times I was in one of the "cheap" cabins on 3 deck (320 & 318). I didn't miss having a balcony (which I usually get) because I spent so much time outdoors, on the decks. There are things you can miss from your balcony, depending on the side. Like Sunrise over Bora Bora as you approach, from the bow only, the double rainbow in Moorea from port-side only, the view of Taha'a from port side only, the sunset from Moorea at departure from starboard side only, etc...

Save your money and spend it on pearls!! ;)

ColonelWes and Thulewx, Thanks so much for your advise. We keep changing our minds on whether or not we want to spend the extra money to upgrade. I guess we'll have to stew on it a little more. Regardless of where we end up on the ship I know we are going to have a fabulous time (and come home with some beautiful pearls!). I'm so glad I found this website. It has been very helpful in planning our trip.

I'm with thulwx--if money is an issue, don't sweat the lower window cabins. We have been both times in an "E" cabin. It's the second-lowest price, but it has a window instead of a port-hole like the "F" cabins.

My thinking is this: I would rather go to FP more often, in a lesser cabin, than blow it all on one trip.

That being said, I'm booked right now in a C balcony next spring. But I will almost certainly downgrade to an E as the time gets nearer.

Archived