Keeping toddlers up later than normal?

Julienatul

Ok here is my question, our DD is 2 and we will be cruising next weekend with her. My question is have any of you ever had a tough time getting your toddlers/younger kids to settle down and sleep if they are kept up later than their usual bedtime?

At home she goes to bed between 7-8pm but on the cruise if we go to a show or something, she may be up later . At home if she goes past her bedtime, which doesnt happen too often, sometimes its very hard to get her to sleep and we have to let her cry herself to sleep. Obviously thats not an option on the ship.

What have you all noticed with your kids?

I am debating whether we should just stick to her routine and forget the nightlife this cruise or try it and see? We never seem to make it to the 10pm babysitting because she gets up everyday between 5-6am.

Julie

Our approach was to not much with her schedule. So, we turned in at her normal time. Yes, it meant we didn't see the shows but we were more concerned with having a happy, social baby. She can be a bear if she doesn't get her beauty sleep!

It's really dependent on the child...

I know some friends who can vary their child's bedtime and all it does it vary the child's wake time.

I know some friends who have the same problem as you - try to deviate from the schedule and they have to let DS/DD fuss themselves to sleep.

In our case, we can lay DS down whenever we want, but he is most likely getting up at the typical time the following morning, regardless of when he went to bed. He will just want a nap sooner than normal.

Base it on your baby and what works best.

Remember, sacrificing shows on a cruise wont be forever, just while your child is young like this.

At home, both my 3 and 7 year old go to bed at 7pm.

BUT, on a cruise, I allow them to stay at Camp till 10pm. They are so exhausted by the time I get them, they are practically sleep walking. I walk them back to the cabin, put their PJ's on and they are asleep before their heads hits the pillow. It's the rocking of the ship. It's like rocking a baby. No one is immuned to it. Even I get the best sleep of my life on a cruise.

You won't have a problem getting her to sleep.

Now, you didn't say if you had a balcony or not? We book balconies so we can lay them down and walk the heck out to the balcony. ;) If we stayed in the cabin while they were trying to fall asleep, then the kids would stay up and try to talk to us.

I've found that sleep issues are much different on a ship than at home - partly because they're so tired from all the activity, and also because of the rocking of the ship. My toddlers usually go to bed at 7, but on board I take them out dancing and for a walk on deck after our early seating. It's about 9 by the time they're in bed with a DVD on, and it usually doesn't take long for them to fall asleep. If they don't seem like they're going down, I'll order room service to have a late night picnic in bed, but they're usually out before the food arrives. I have also let them stay up at the kids party until about 10.

Just like at home, I swear no matter what time they go to bed, they get up at the same time, which just means a nice afternoon nap for them, and time for mommy to read a book or get ready for dinner.

Best,

Mia

My son will be 2 on Sunday. He has the same schedule as you. This past August we were in Disney World and a couple of weeks ago I went to a Business conference in Jacksonville, FL. Disney more so than Jacksonville his schedule was messed up. He seemed to handle it just fine. He slept in a bit sometimes. Sometimes he napped and sometimes he didn't. I was really surprised with how well he did. I think it had something to do with all the excitement of the new surroundings. And my son is a slow to warm up child. He actually did give us a hard time falling asleep in the hotel the first night in Disney World but after taking him for a walk and then putting him in our bed he was out cold.

At home he never sleeps with us and in fact won't but in hotels he always sleeps with us.

Basically if you haven't traveled with your DD recently then you will have to play it by ear to figure out what will work for you and her. You have to go with no expectations which is what we did when we went to Disney.

Thanks everyone!!!

From reading the kids capers, there seem to be alot of good activities right after dinner and I didnt want to deprive DD of the experience since this will be her first time in Camp Carnival. Also DH and I might get to catch a show or some alone time :).

On previous cruises she was younger and we ALWAYS kept to her schedule and routine and never went out after dinner but now that she is older she may do OK. I think I will gage it by how tired she seems at dinner.

I appreciate the comments.

Julie

Julie:

I have the same question, we are leaving a day after you, so I cant see what you guys ended up doing :) , too bad we are on different cruises, I have a 2 & 3 yr old and they would have been in camp together. Oh well, I wish you luck and wish me luck with 2 toddlers :)

Good luck, Im sure they will do fine :) What cruise will you be on? Thats too bad we arent on the same one. Hopefully there will be more toddlers on both of our cruises!

Jullie

We are taking the Sensation, out of Port Canavaral, going to the Bahamas. I keep checking the roll call for some toddlers and all i see are a couple of 5 yr olds and older, hopefully there will be some younger kids in there as well. I am already making my lists and picking up some things, I know we are going to have the most bags, since I am not taking a chance and I am packing everything and I also have 2 kids in diapers:eek: , so yeah, I am thinking a whole suitcase for diapers and wipes :D

I also have 2 kids in diapers:eek: , so yeah, I am thinking a whole suitcase for diapers and wipes :D

Since I drive to the port, I just stick a luggage label on a supersize box of Huggies and check it at the pier with the rest of my luggage (make sure you have plenty in your diaper bag to get you through until your luggage is delivered to the cabin). Then there's one less thing to bring home. When I fly, I fill the outer pockets of all my suitcases with diapers - you'd be amazed how many can fit in those pockets, that way they don't take up space and their the perfect item to be packed in those pockets anyway.

Best,

Mia

When vacationing, our kids' bedtimes vary GREATLY. Depending on dinner reservations, activities, etc.~ they could be in bed at 8:30 or they could be in bed at 11:30. We always find that the day has been so busy and eventful, that once they lay down, they are out COLD ~ regardless of the time.

It works for us to be ultra flexible with their sleep schedules, but I know it wouldn't work for every family. Good luck finding what works for yours!

:)

Since I drive to the port' date=' I just stick a luggage label on a supersize box of Huggies and check it at the pier with the rest of my luggage (make sure you have plenty in your diaper bag to get you through until your luggage is delivered to the cabin).[/quote']

I thought about doing that, but I guess I am one of those paranoid people and I think that it will somehow get lost and we wont have any diapers!. We are driving as well and I am going to just pack 1 whole suitcase (small one) with diapers, wipes and some clothes and carry on. At least I know I will have their diapers and wipes and clothes, so I will worry less :) I know, i know, i am a freak, a paranoid freak:D :D :D

I thought about doing that, but I guess I am one of those paranoid people and I think that it will somehow get lost and we wont have any diapers!. We are driving as well and I am going to just pack 1 whole suitcase (small one) with diapers, wipes and some clothes and carry on. At least I know I will have their diapers and wipes and clothes, so I will worry less :) I know, i know, i am a freak, a paranoid freak:D :D :D

Just a thought/suggestion...

When we were cruising I made sure to pack everything that would not be leaving the ship in a disposable (handled shopping bag, plastic handled department store bag) carry on bag. Why take up space in your checked luggage with stuff that isn't going to leave the ship with you?

If you have a soft sided collapsible suitcase, or even a duffel bag, one that you can either re pack with souvenirs, or collapse and put into your checked luggage, this is ideal for things like diapers, wipes, baby food, formula, rice cereal, etc.

Personally, I hate having extra room in my suitcase when I leave the ship. It means that anything I pack in my suitcase is all going to be constantly shifting around and it also means that I probably am lugging an extra suitcase around, unnecessarily.

Happy Sailing!!

The other thing I do since we are able to drive to the port is I use a big plastic storage bin and put all the toys (I bring a bunch because we leave them with local children in each port), life jackets, beach gear, blow up pool/bath tub, swim diapers, sippy cups, etc, etc in, duct tape it closed and stick a luggage on that as well. It works great, and it's nice to be able to have all that stuff in one place on board as well - and have something to just throw everything into. (You just have to make sure you pack duct tape in your luggage to be able to reclose it when you're packing at the end of the cruise.) I just keep the same bin loaded with their cruise gear since we always have another one planned.

As for being afraid that the box of diapers will disappear - in over 20 cruises, I have never had a bag go missing between the pier and the ship. I guess it's possible, but if you're packing all the diapers in one suitcase, couldn't the same thing happen to the suitcase?

I'm an over planner too - but it certainly helps when you're sailing with little ones! You're going to have a great trip.

Best,

Mia

As for being afraid that the box of diapers will disappear - in over 20 cruises' date=' I have never had a bag go missing between the pier and the ship. I guess it's possible, but if you're packing all the diapers in one suitcase, couldn't the same thing happen to the suitcase?

I'm an over planner too - but it certainly helps when you're sailing with little ones! You're going to have a great trip.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

I was going to bring on their suitcase with all the essentials. I am a little paranoid about everything. I guess I have had my luggage lost (airplanes, yes, but still) too many times that I know that anything can happen. Travelling is so much fun with me!!!:D :D

I was going to bring on their suitcase with all the essentials. I am a little paranoid about everything. I guess I have had my luggage lost (airplanes, yes, but still) too many times that I know that anything can happen. Travelling is so much fun with me!!!:D :D

I've had my luggage lost on planes several times myself, but it's different with a ship. It goes from the porter area straight to the ship there is no mass sorting area like in an airport or a changing of ship like a changing of planes where it can get lost.

I've had luggage arrive late but never not arrive. It all depends on when you arrive to the port and where your room is.

Ok here is my question, our DD is 2 and we will be cruising next weekend with her. My question is have any of you ever had a tough time getting your toddlers/younger kids to settle down and sleep if they are kept up later than their usual bedtime?

At home she goes to bed between 7-8pm but on the cruise if we go to a show or something, she may be up later . At home if she goes past her bedtime, which doesnt happen too often, sometimes its very hard to get her to sleep and we have to let her cry herself to sleep. Obviously thats not an option on the ship.

What have you all noticed with your kids?

I am debating whether we should just stick to her routine and forget the nightlife this cruise or try it and see? We never seem to make it to the 10pm babysitting because she gets up everyday between 5-6am.

Julie

With lost of activity and sea air --she may sleep better..

that said--we had one child who was flexible and did ok without his routine..and one who needed regular sleep or he was a bear.

Sometimes too much activity made going to sleep hard...

Maybe a warm bath, jammies and sitting in the fresh sea air snuggled up in your arms on the balconey will help your dc fall alseep--regardless of time--

good luck

Archived