A FEW credit card questions

Sunshine91

John & I are finally going to "get with the program" & get a rewards credit card. I know, I know. :o We've just preferred to pay as we go, so it's not been a big deal - we've not charged enough for it to be worth it. Just wouldn't have racked up enough points, miles, dividends, whatever. But, we're travelling more, buying bigger-ticket items for the house, etc., so it's time.

So, I'm looking at a Discover card - that 5% cash-back on certain purchases is very attractive. So, for the more seasoned travellers -

1. Does HAL accept Discover for the onboard purchases?

2. Is Discover widely accepted internationally - Europe, Caribbean, etc?

For cash, what ATM networks are most widely available? We've also got some new-account set-ups to do & I'm having some difficulty (maybe I just don't know where to look :o ) figuring out what networks are available around the globe.

Thanks. :)

The Discover Card is not anywhere near as well accepted as Visa and Mastercard and you will run into problems in many places. Amex does well in the travel/entertainment business, especially the business end, but smaller establishments often do not accept it because their fees are higher.

Assuming you are talking about a credit as opposed to a debit card, I am not sure why you would want to use one at an ATM. The cost of a cash advance is stiff and will most definetly exceed any benefits, unless of course, one has no money.:o Most travelors use their own bank ATM or debit card to obtain currency in a port.

If you are inclined to use a debit card, make sure it carries either a Mastercard or VISA logo on it.

It is the only CC we use. We earn at least $1000 per year as we put all our cruises on the card. We pay it off in full every month and never have a finance charge.

We have rarely found a place that does not accept the card contrary to what others may say. I have used the card for over 20 years and in the beginning noone took it, not so nowadays.

We never take cash advances, it costs way too much, I bring enough cash from home to cover our needs.

We use our Discover for all most everything. The cash back bonus can rack up pretty fast that way. Then use the Cashback Bonus Award towards our cruise. I use the Double cash back bonus if the designated Discover TA beats/matches any of my cruise bids. This cruise, I used $60 of my CBA and got $120 off our cruise. The trick is to pay off our Discover every month so that you don't have any interest charges. Then I just figure that the CBA is "free money".

IMO the most universal credit card anywhere I've been is Visa. In Europe many places don't take MC or Discover. A few weeks ago a friend had her Discover card declined a couple of times in Alaska!

We run almost all of our purchases through a Visa card which gives us points for hotel rooms at a chain that has locations world-wide, and rarely have to pay for a hotel any more.

Susan -

Get more than one... especially for Europe. We like Amex for certain purchases, but are also really liking the Chase Freedom Rewards card...

I think one card we actually don't have is Discover, so can't help you there, sorry.

I am usually not a big fan of any type of reward card, but I must say the Chase Freedom is one we've almost inadvertantly earned 20K points in no time at all - and the rewards look pretty decent. :)

My local bank credit card has the best conversion rate from EU transactions, so I tend to use that for the most part - for purchases.

To get additional cash (especially in Europe), we still swear by the old debit card from our local bank. :)

I think it all depends upon where one plans to use the card and the frequency. I am one of those people who will charge anything and everything as it allows me to identify the black hole. I pay off all balances.

Discover Card is not as well accepted, especially outside the U.S. I wish it were, as I prefer cash back to points.

To get additional cash (especially in Europe), we still swear by the old debit card from our local bank. :)
Our credit union has recently stopped allowing cash withdrawals anywhere out of the country. But we have a debit card with another bank that still works ... for now.

From our experience in the Med. last fall, ALWAYS take 2 cards. I lost our main card on Santorini and, fortunately, my husband had the card we use for gas only. We were able to change our registered card with no problem. Our main card id CapitalOne. They don't, or didn't, charge for foreign transactions and were extremely helpful when I called from the ship to report the card lost. We used it, a Mastercard, everywhere with no problem.

John & I are finally going to "get with the program" & get a rewards credit card. I know, I know. :o We've just preferred to pay as we go, so it's not been a big deal - we've not charged enough for it to be worth it. Just wouldn't have racked up enough points, miles, dividends, whatever. But, we're travelling more, buying bigger-ticket items for the house, etc., so it's time.

So, I'm looking at a Discover card - that 5% cash-back on certain purchases is very attractive. So, for the more seasoned travellers -

1. Does HAL accept Discover for the onboard purchases?

2. Is Discover widely accepted internationally - Europe, Caribbean, etc?

For cash, what ATM networks are most widely available? We've also got some new-account set-ups to do & I'm having some difficulty (maybe I just don't know where to look :o ) figuring out what networks are available around the globe.

Thanks. :)

No. Discover is not accepted at many places. Get a Visa or Mastercard. If you are in the US I can recommend one with Bank of America. The service I receive has always been execellant. Another hint, I find I get more bang for the buck with a credit card tied to an airline. The value of the tickets usually far exceeds a card that gives you cash back.

It is the only CC we use. We earn at least $1000 per year as we put all our cruises on the card. We pay it off in full every month and never have a finance charge.

We have rarely found a place that does not accept the card contrary to what others may say. I have used the card for over 20 years and in the beginning noone took it, not so nowadays.

We never take cash advances, it costs way too much, I bring enough cash from home to cover our needs.

But, the OP asked about Europe. Your list of cruises do not appear to be in that part of the World.

We have had enough points on one card in less than two years to cover 4 roundtrip tickets to Rome in high season, at least a $6,000.00 value. I can't imagine what I would have if I traveled as much as a lot of folks on these boards. 50,000 points get an international round trip in coach. My Dad had 125,000 points he was tying to get rid of (US Airways - he got rid of the card a long time ago but may get another one.) He went to London first class this summer on United. The retail cost of the ticket was $11,000.00.

I'd reccommend checking out the Citi Premier Pass Mastercard, especially if you fly a lot. It is no annual fee!

You earn Thank You Points which can be redeemed for travel, products, gift cards, statement credits and pretty much ANYTHING you would want. The value of a point seems to be $.01 for most items like giftcards, but can be as high as $.03-.05 or more with certain airfare redemptions. You earn 1 point for every dollar spent, which works out to between 1% and 5% back on all purchases.

The real value of this card is that you earn 1 point for every 3 miles flown on any airline for ANY ticket you purchase, even if you don't travel (tickets bought for friends/relatives). These really add up. If you buy to round trip tickets on a 3000 mile RT flight, you'd get 2,000 Thank You points, PLUS the cost of the ticket. (They also have an elite card where you earn a point for every mile you fly instead of every three, and get a free companion ticket, although the ticket generally isn't much good since the price of the original ticket tends to be high. The elite card caries an annual fee.).

Right now they offer a 10,000 Points Bonus for signup once you spend $100!

I highly recommend visiting FlyerTalk and Fatwallet message boards (add .com to both) for good discussions on how to get the most out of these rewards cards.

Jim

But, the OP asked about Europe. Your list of cruises do not appear to be in that part of the World.

You are right and that is my bad. :o I missed the Europe part. We don't fly as DH is a plane crash survivor so there are many places we haven't gotten to. . .yet.

You are right and that is my bad. :o I missed the Europe part. We don't fly as DH is a plane crash survivor so there are many places we haven't gotten to. . .yet.

Oh my, (a big plane?). I'm glad he is OK.

I like Amtrak.

Archived