Carnival pricing vs NCL - why?

Ykgorbie

"My only advise, skip the ship provided shore excursions, no matter the cruise line, you can find the same excursions cheaper at the ports. Do your research on the internet before you leave and you should have some idea what you want to do. This will save you money.

FYI many of us choose to purchase ship sponsored excursions not for the price but for the guarantee the ship will wait for us if something happens on the excursion and for liability purposes.

Several people have pointed out the falacy of this, that it simply isnt true that the ship will wait for you. They are more likely to wait, but not necessarily. People assume this about booking airfare thru the cruiseline that they wouldnt sail without you....it happens. Dont believe this unless you find it in writing (which you wouldnt).

I have booked thru the cruiselines my excursions but not because I think they will wait for me, I know better.

How can you compare? Judging by your signature, you've only cruised with Carnival... 3 times. My opion is honest. Yes, the Carnival ships are very clean but the ships ARE NOT as beautiful and richly decorated as the other cruise lines.

I made no attempt to compare. As a discerning traveler I offered an opinion that is backed up by extensive travel in various places around the world, not only on a cruise. However, before booking my three cruises, I extensively researched each cruise and constantly found that for what my needs were at the moment, Carnival was the best value for the dollar. That research proved to be accurate when I had very good expereinces on all three cruises. Further, I find these frequent attempts to compare a cruise line to a retail outlet is pointless. You did not even bother to compare two retail outlets competing in the same market catagory.

Having traveled many places in the world, dined in many fine dining estblishments, and stayed in many highly rated hotels, I have a firm basis to allow me to offer an opinion of a cruise line. I really believe that any cruise expereince is what you make of it. There is no reason that the OP cannot board the cruise she booked and have a great time. Carnival, as does many other lines, offers a great product and a good vacation expereince. This is all the more evident when you compare the price. As for you MM42, I hope you will leave it at that. Your voice has been heard, now let the OP form her own opinion. I suspect she will have a great time and be able to post a very positive review of her cruise. That is certainly my wish for her.

"My only advise, skip the ship provided shore excursions, no matter the cruise line, you can find the same excursions cheaper at the ports. Do your research on the internet before you leave and you should have some idea what you want to do. This will save you money.

FYI many of us choose to purchase ship sponsored excursions not for the price but for the guarantee the ship will wait for us if something happens on the excursion and for liability purposes.

OK, I thought I had posted my last comment, on my last cruise I watched as they ship left people in port who had booked a ship excursion. It simply is not the case, no matter what they say. Also, regarding liability, if you read the fine print, the cruise lines all point out that shore excursions are provided by outside vendors and they are not responisible for what happens on a shore excursion. I appreciate your post, but a quick read of the contact will show you that you are mis-informed.

OK, I thought I had posted my last comment, on my last cruise I watched as they ship left people in port who had booked a ship excursion. It simply is not the case, no matter what they say. Also, regarding liability, if you read the fine print, the cruise lines all point out that shore excursions are provided by outside vendors and they are not responisible for what happens on a shore excursion. I appreciate your post, but a quick read of the contact will show you that you are mis-informed.

As for you MM42, I hope you will leave it at that. Your voice has been heard, now let the OP form her own opinion. I suspect she will have a great time and be able to post a very positive review of her cruise. That is certainly my wish for her.

They were asking for an opinion and I gave mine. If you don't like my opinion then you have problems when other people have opinions different then yours. Did I hit a nerve? :D

They were asking for an opinion and I gave mine. If you don't like my opinion then you have problems when other people have opinions different then yours. Did I hit a nerve? :D

Nope, although I suspect I hit a nerve with you. I do not have a problem with your opinion, but I do have a problem with the way you expressed it. I really feel sorry for people like you who feel that they must build themselves up by putting other people down, which is exactly what you tried to do in your pointless comparision of the two cruise lines, and what you are further trying to do now. You clearly can see that the OP has already purchased her vacation, why would you want to make her feel bad about that purchase? Shame on you! Leave her alone and let her go have fun. Is that so hard for you to do.

I think every ship is different regardless of the cruiseline. Every ship is run by different hotel/restaurant management, Captain etc....

I have been on some Carnival ships I would never sail again, but then others have been wonderful.

I will let you know how I like NCLA when I cruise Hawaii next year. I know one thing I will enjoy is the freestyle dining:D

Nope, although I suspect I hit a nerve with you. I do not have a problem with your opinion, but I do have a problem with the way you expressed it. I really feel sorry for people like you who feel that they must build themselves up by putting other people down, which is exactly what you tried to do in your pointless comparision of the two cruise lines, and what you are further trying to do now. You clearly can see that the OP has already purchased her vacation, why would you want to make her feel bad about that purchase? Shame on you! Leave her alone and let her go have fun. Is that so hard for you to do.

Nice temper! :D

How can you compare the two of them? It's like comparing Wal-Mart (CCL) to Macy's (NCL).

Well I know Walmart (which to me means good value for your money and you can buy just about anything there and we all visit it eventually), but here in Ontario there's no Macy's - so precisely what is that experience?

Well I know Walmart (which to me means good value for your money and you can buy just about anything there and we all visit it eventually), but here in Ontario there's no Macy's - so precisely what is that experience?

Macy's equals The Bay in Canada.

Funny, I was under the perhaps mistaken impression that NCL was generally a little bit less expensive than Carnival, not the other way around. So I checked some prices at their respective websites:

Early May 2008, 8 Day Caribbean cruise out of New York

Carnival Miracle $829 inside, $979 ocean view, $1079 balcony

NCL Spirit $649 inside, $749 ocean view, $1,149 balcony

A don't really know how the age and size of the ships compare. Perhaps Spirit is a little older accounting for the cheaper prices, except for balconies because older ships don't tend to have as many balcony cabins?

Late Sept. 2008, 7 Day Mexican Riviera out of Los Angeles

Carnival Pride $699 inside, $799 ocean view, $949 balcony

Norwegian Star $549 inside, $649 ocean view, $799 balcony

This actually looks like a good comparison because both ships entered service the same year and and very close in size.

Mid-July 2008, 7 Day Alaska out of Seattle/Vancouver

Carnival Spirit $949 inside, $1249 ocean view, $1549 balcony

Norwegian Pearl $949 inside, $1149 ocean view, $1899 balcony

This comparison isn't as close. Different starting points, Spirit ends in Anchorage rather than returning to Vancouver, and Pearl is 5 years newer. So it's sort of apples and oranges.

Overall though, I get the impression that NCL tends to be a little cheaper, at least until you start getting up the the balcony cabins where Carnival is sometimes cheaper.

I have no experience on NCL and only one cruise on Carnival (with one pending), but I wouldn't hesitate to try NCL if it were me. I don't think I would prefer the Freestyle dinners on NCL, but I won't know for sure until I try them. Even if I didn't prefer that, I wouldn't guess it would be a big enough issue to be a dealbreaker for me.

What liability purposes? Carnival specifically disclaims liability for any incidents occuring while on the excursion. Good luck collecting from Carnival for anything that happens on an excursion.

Responsibility

Carnival is not responsible for any losses, damage, death, injuries, or claims whatsoever arising from, connected with, or related to any activities engaged in by guests while off Carnival’s ships or tenders in any port of call. This includes all shore excursions, whether booked online, sold onboard or sold by third parties ashore. Guests engage in all such activities off the ship at their own risk.

Carnival acts only as an agent for the independent tour operators supplying excursions or services. Independent contractors operate all shore excursions, including any related transportation. Carnival neither supervises nor controls their actions, nor makes any representation either expressed or implied as to their suitability. Carnival sells tickets for all excursions as a convenience to guests only. Tour operators, transportation providers, and their employees are neither agents nor employees of Carnival, notwithstanding their use of any signage or clothing which may contain the name “Carnival” or other related trade names or logos. It is understood and agreed that Carnival assumes no responsibility for, nor guarantees performance of, and in no event shall be liable for, any loss, damage, injury, or death in connection with said excursions or transportation. Please review your ticket for further information regarding your rights and obligations as well as those of Carnival.

This is one the oldest, meaningless cliches running on the board. If I get bad service and bad food, hey, it will make for a bad cruise! Back in 89, several members of my family, along with a third of the rest of passengers on another line came down with food poisoning. They all had a wretched time. You wanna tell them "A cruise is what you make of it?"

I like most people, are not pollyanna types that gleefully pay several thousand dollars on a cruise are content to merely be in a ship. We want good service, good food and good entertainment. CCL does well in all these categories, with the exception of food which can often be excellent as good or better than more expensive lines.

I have never cruised NCL and never will. My sister is trying them out this month and wanted to know why.Here's why-

1) Everyone I have personally talked t that has been on NCL (my parents, mother in law and two coworkers) said that NCL had middling service and horrible food.

2) I own stock in CCL and I appreciate the shareholder obc, as well as the feeling that I am contributing to the company.

3) I don't want to spend $3000 see if NCL really doesn't suck! My money and time are too precious.

4) Freestyle dining? Yeah right.NCL zealots talk as if only NCL has it. Were they to pay the extra money to sell on other lines, they'd see that Princess and HAL have it In fact, CCL and RCL have had it for a long time, only they call it a "supper club" where you have to pay for it. How is that any different from NCL where a lot of people say you have to get up early in the morning to make reservations for a $20-$30 meal otherwise you'll have wait in a long line for slwo service in the dining room where the food can be inedible? Princess has the same thing, except they also do "wild things" in the dining room like offer alaskan king crab legs, large shrimp cocktail or filet mignon whenever you want at the dining room, and lots of other things that I have yet to hear NCL serving in their dining rooms. Were we to cruise on NCL, my daughters would want to know why NCL doesn't have souffles everynight, or crab legs or real lobster tails.

5) My wife and daughters like to dress up every night, especially formal night. They'd feel out of place dressed up sitting across from trailor trash tom who is wearing his favorite pair of sweat pants with his Nascar themed t-shirt.

We have taken a break from CCL mainly because we are tired of the same ships, singing waiters and color games. But still, CCL is our standard, with excellent bedding, good food, entertainment, etc. CCL isn't just a good cruise for the money, it is great cruise. For the above stated reasons, we would view NCL as a step down. For those who like NCL or want to try them, more power to you. Have a good time.

[quote name='Kurbanfan']I think every [I]ship[/I] is different regardless of the cruiseline. Every ship is run by different hotel/restaurant management, Captain etc....
I have been on some Carnival ships I would never sail again, but then others have been wonderful.
I will let you know how I like NCLA when I cruise Hawaii next year. I know one thing I will enjoy is the freestyle dining:D[/QUOTE]

Kurb, when are you going to Hawaii???? and which ship?

[quote name='Earthworm Jim']I have no experience on NCL and only one cruise on Carnival (with one pending), but I wouldn't hesitate to try NCL if it were me. [COLOR="Red"]I don't [I]think[/I] I would prefer the Freestyle dinners on NCL, but I won't know for sure until I try them.[/COLOR] Even if I didn't prefer that, I wouldn't guess it would be a big enough issue to be a dealbreaker for me.[/QUOTE]

LOL...how very seldom we see a common sense statement on here. Thanks for the sane comment. :)

[quote name='halos']Kurb, when are you going to Hawaii???? and which ship?[/quote]

We are not confirmed yet. Looking at the Pride of Aloha end of May 2008.
It will be a graduation gift to our daughter in law who will be graduating from nursing school. She has not been given her final date as of yet. End of May or first of June. Hopefully end of May because it is a little cheaper:o

[quote name='Kurbanfan']We are not confirmed yet. Looking at the Pride of Aloha end of May 2008.
It will be a graduation gift to our daughter in law who will be graduating from nursing school. She has not been given her final date as of yet. End of May or first of June. Hopefully end of May because it is a little cheaper:o[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking Hawaii for early 2009...can't decide if I want to do it on NCL or not. I can't wait to hear your review.
That's a nice graduation gift!!

[quote name='halos']I'm thinking Hawaii for early 2009...can't decide if I want to do it on NCL or not. I can't wait to hear your review.
That's a nice graduation gift!![/quote]

It was either 7 days in Hawaii or the cruise. We have been to Maui and Oahu several times. This way we can see the other islands as well. I can't deal with more then 2 sea days....so I guess it's NCL. Plus we are definitely not bringing dress up clothes to Hawaii lol, so I think this will work out great.

I'm not an idiot. I have read the shore excursion contract many times and yes it sounds bulletproof, but I assure you if something happens on a ship sponsored excursion you have a MUCH better chance of receiving compensation than if something happens on a non-ship excursion. Carnival put a lot of work into the ticket contract to discourage lawsuits, but I assure the contract's bark is worse than it's bite.

Also from Carnival.com Shore Excursion FAQ

Do I have to book a shore excursion through Carnival or can I go off on my own?

You are not obligated to book shore excursions through Carnival in order to leave the ship. Public transportation is available at each port. We suggest you visit your local library, bookstore or a pertinent web site to determine where you would like to go.

Carnival does not offer any alternatives from the established shore excursion program. All shore excursions sold through Carnival are coordinated with reputable tour operators and include all the most popular sites of interest.

[B]One of the many benefits of booking excursions through Carnival is a guarantee that the ship will remain in port until all guests are back onboard. Carnival will not be aware of shore excursions that are booked independently. Also, keep in mind that some ports have visa requirements that may prevent you from venturing off on your own.[/B]

[quote name='LABecca']I looked into booking a NCL Hawaiian cruise. The pricing is great but the airfare! OUCH! We're going to wait to build up some more points on the AMEX.[/quote]

I know, but you would be surprised. I don't know where you would be flying from, but just keep checking all the time. The fares have been going up and down consistently here from LAX. Last week for the end of May they were $317.00 p/p round trip. The week before $650.00.:eek:

Archived