Not Cruised RCI for a Long Time - Some questions

It's been many years since I last travelled RCI (on the old Sun Viking).

We're thinking of joining a Med cruise on Splendour of the Seas next month, and I have a couple of questions.

1. Is there a charge to use the shuttle service at each port of call, and if so what is the cost.

2. We're looking at taking a suite (Owners or Royal Family Suite). Does having a suite give any priority for tender passes if you are not on a ships tour?

3. Does having a suite give any other benefits other than space etc.

Thanks in advance

We're thinking of joining a Med cruise on Splendour of the Seas next month, and I have a couple of questions.

1. Is there a charge to use the shuttle service at each port of call, and if so what is the cost.

2. We're looking at taking a suite (Owners or Royal Family Suite). Does having a suite give any priority for tender passes if you are not on a ships tour?

Thanks in advance

We were in an Owner's Suite on our Aug 5 - 12, 2007 cruise and I HIGHLY recommend it! It was fantastic!

No priority for tender passes, but being in a suite gives you access to the Concierge Lounge which serves breakfast each morning and then serves COMPLIMENTARY cocktails each evening from 5-8. The Concierge can also get your ice show tickets for you, book your reservations at Chops/Portofino's, answer questions, get you 1st disembarkation, and handle many situations for you. It's a very nice perk! You'll also be given priority embarkation.

Good Luck and Happy Cruising!!!!

I am going on the Med cruise on Splendour in 2 weeks & can't wait! She is my favorite RCCL ship now. Really lovely. She will seem HUGE to you since the Sun Viking! I've sailed on Song of Norway and Nordic Prince, so I remember those old, great ships. :)

Splendour is not tiny, but she's not huge like the newer "mega" ships, which I don't care for.

I think you'll like it!

Thanks for your help everyone.

Catnip, I was in Hong Kong a couple of years ago and the Sun Viking was in the harbour (under a different name) - I think at that time it was being used for gambling.

I have cruised a lot since the Sun Viking days, including on Celebrity amongst others, just not on RCI.

Enjoy your cruise later this month.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Catnip, I was in Hong Kong a couple of years ago and the Sun Viking was in the harbour (under a different name) - I think at that time it was being used for gambling.

I have cruised a lot since the Sun Viking days, including on Celebrity amongst others, just not on RCI.

Enjoy your cruise later this month.

I thought you hadn't cruised since the Sun Viking days, and I was going to tell you to get ready....that you will see a HUGE difference in cruising! I started cruising back in the early 80's and the cruising industry is nothing like it used to be!!! :eek:

I am scheduled to go on my 2nd Celebrity cruise in 1/09 on the brand new Solstice----I cannot wait!!

What are your favorite lines nowadays?

Thanks in advance

There is a charge for the shuttle in the ports - not sure what itinerary you are doing though [Greek isles and Turkey?]. Let us know and we will tell you if the shuttle is needed. It is usually around $8 per round trip [that is what it is in Livorno]. I am amazed that there are any suites left at this late date!

Catnip,

You're right re the differences between now and then. I first cruised (on the Sun Viking) in 1981 - that was a pretty glitzy ship in those days.

I just got off a Regent cruise (Seven Seas Mariner) from Seward to Osaka last week - still horribly jetlagged after the flight back to the UK. They are my favourite line (when I can afford it).

Other than that it's whatever takes my interest as regards itinerary, my next two confirmed cruises are on Celebritys Infinity next March from Valparaiso-Buenos Aires. And then a TA crossing from Lisbon to Rio with Oceania in November 2008. For 2009 I'm looking at another Regent voyage from Valparaiso to Sydney - but I'm going to have to do some serious saving between now and then !!

It'll be interesting to see what you think of the Solstice ships.

Archived