All things Monarch of the Seas

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suburbanette viewpost.gif

Thanks for the info Jean. If you wouldn't mind, when you return from your B2B I'd love to hear how it worked out for you.

And thanks for your mention of clean clothes. I was going to pack enough stuff for both cruises, but instead I think I'll have hubby bring me a couple of extra things when he joins me.:)

Happy cruising!

It was no problem at all. We went to Guest Services on Sunday and asked if they were showing us as back to backers. The GSM, Tonya, said that she hadn't seen the list yet, but would call and let us know. She did not.:mad:

But in the Windjammer last night, as we were saying goodbye to Maru, one of the managers and telling him we'd see him again, he said, "I know, I saw your names on the list."

But we just disembarked at our leisure, went home for clothes and such and then re-embarked around 1:30. Because we were staying in the RS for the 4-nighter (talk about spoiled for life!) we had VIP embarkation, which meant we got to cut in front of everybody all the way up to having our Seapass pictures taken.:p Whatever other B2Bers most likely re-boarded first, but I can't confirm that.

Here's a reason you don't want to have your reservations linked: if they are, any alcohol you purchase will be held until the end of your second cruise. If not...

Jean,

Thanks so much for the info! :) I'm soooo looking forward to my cruises.

Cheers.

What kind of a wait is there for NON-Express disembarking? What time does that start?

We do not need to be off the ship to early, but want to go to the Queen Mary before we head to the airport.

Thanks!

After express, disembarking is done by luggage tag colors that are given to you the night before. First is White which are given to Platinum and Diamond members, no matter what deck they are on. After white the other colors are called, one at a time, and I believe that is by deck, starting at the top deck, and working to deck 2....but I may be in error with that explanation. My most recent time on the Monarch, they called white about 7:30...but there were still some people in line that were at the end of express. The last groups may not be leaving until 9-9:30, perhaps even a little later. When you are finally off the ship, you go to get your luggage, and it is all arranged in different areas by luggage tag color.

After express, disembarking is done by luggage tag colors that are given to you the night before. First is White which are given to Platinum and Diamond members, no matter what deck they are on. After white the other colors are called, one at a time, and I believe that is by deck, starting at the top deck, and working to deck 2....but I may be in error with that explanation. My most recent time on the Monarch, they called white about 7:30...but there were still some people in line that were at the end of express. The last groups may not be leaving until 9-9:30, perhaps even a little later. When you are finally off the ship, you go to get your luggage, and it is all arranged in different areas by luggage tag color.

Thank you for that info! We are on deck 2…how sad…it will take forever to get off the ship…if we can at least be off by 9 I’ll be happy. Maybe since this is Friday morning not to many people will be in the express line as they won't have to rush to work :)

~Thanks!!

Express Departure is really sometimes hurry up and wait. I would definitely be on line no later than 6:00 AM since a line begins to form around 5:45 AM:eek: . Sorry to be the one to tell you this, but my husband uses Express Departure every time we cruise on the Monarch, and we're going on #29 on October 6!

D+ and D only have a departure "Lounge" for waiting for the WHITE tags to be called. This happens after all of the Early Departure folks are almost cleared. The line is very dependent upon the Immigration folks opening up on time and the ship clearing Customs on time (something that just can't be controlled).

The four-day cruise is a little easier to get off, but not much. Good luck with the departure! It is my most unfavorite thing to do.....I never want to leave.:o :D

We just booked the Monarch today for February 9th. I am soooo excited! I can't wait. Thanks for this great thread. I was getting scared because I kept hearing, "it's an older ship and not as nice." But it seems there are plenty of people who love the Monarch! ;)

I posted this question on the main RCI board, but can't get straight answers. I was wondering if someone who has actually been on the Monarch could answer for me please? What is Jade Restaurant like? Is it part of Windjammers? Is it buffet style? Do they have various Asian foods? Is the sushi 'real' sushi? Does it cost extra, or is it free? My group was thinking of eating there instead of the main dining room on formal night. Is there a dress code, or is it more casual like the windjammer? Thanks in advance!

What are the suite perks on this ship?

We were in a GS on the Monarch in January 08. We received Priorty boarding, we got to choose 1 bottle of wine at check in (only 3 types listed, we had to make selection and it was delivered to our cabin on the second nite...This was because there is not a concierge lounge on board). We also received goodies each night (a plate of canapes, sushi, and something else the 3rd nite). We had the coffee press w/hot water pot to make coffee in the morning, but honestly, better to order from room service. We had the pillow menu to choose a pillow from, not sure about the priority debark because we stayed on until very late.

Overall, we love the Monarch, but we booked a JS guarantee and received the GS. Honestly would not pay the going rate for this cabin. Even though there is more space and a HUGE bathroom, not really worth it to us for a 3-night cruise. But, that is just us.

Enjoy your trip, she is a great ship!

Debbi

I posted this question on the main RCI board, but can't get straight answers. I was wondering if someone who has actually been on the Monarch could answer for me please? What is Jade Restaurant like? Is it part of Windjammers? Is it buffet style? Do they have various Asian foods? Is the sushi 'real' sushi? Does it cost extra, or is it free? My group was thinking of eating there instead of the main dining room on formal night. Is there a dress code, or is it more casual like the windjammer? Thanks in advance!

I was wondering if someone who has actually been on the Monarch could answer for me please? OK...

What is Jade Restaurant like? It is cute with Asian inspiration.

Is it part of Windjammers? No, it is forward from the upper level of Windjammer.

Is it buffet style? No.

Do they have various Asian foods? Yes... see links below for views of the menu board.

Is the sushi 'real' sushi? Yes.

Does it cost extra, or is it free? There is a cost per item.

My group was thinking of eating there instead of the main dining room on formal night. Is there a dress code, or is it more casual like the windjammer? Casual.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2702323140046215528VgosEa

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2835496650046215528QwfmPL

I was wondering if someone who has actually been on the Monarch could answer for me please? OK...

Is it part of Windjammers? No, it is forward from the upper level of Windjammer.

Is it buffet style? No.

Do they have various Asian foods? Yes... see links below for views of the menu board.

Is the sushi 'real' sushi? Yes.

Does it cost extra, or is it free? There is a cost per item.

My group was thinking of eating there instead of the main dining room on formal night. Is there a dress code, or is it more casual like the windjammer? Casual.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2702323140046215528VgosEa

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2835496650046215528QwfmPL

Do you remember the hours Jade is open? Is it open both for lunch and dinner, plus hours in between? Or just during the hours that the dining room is open? I just showed my DH the menu and he is getting excited. Are the rolls "pre-made" or can you customize, such as no mayo? (watching our weight) Thanks for posting the menu.

Do you remember the hours Jade is open? Is it open both for lunch and dinner' date=' plus hours in between? Or just during the hours that the dining room is open? I just showed my DH the menu and he is getting excited. Are the rolls "pre-made" or can you customize, such as no mayo? (watching our weight) Thanks for posting the menu.[/quote']

Jade is normally only open for dinner, starting at 7:00 when the Windjammer opens (the dining room seatings are 6:00 and 8:30 on the weekend, 5:30 and 8:00 during the week). On the 3-night cruise it has also been open for lunch on the sea day, but I haven't checked in awhile to see if that's still the case. Also, they're now selling little boxes of sushi like you'd see in the supermarket in the Windjammer during regular lunchtime buffet hours.

Everything we've ordered has been made to order, but I don't know if, for example, the California roll "stuffing" is pre-made (I'll bet it is), which would make eliminating the mayo pretty much impossible.

Krazy4Kruisen: Jade is a very lovely area above the Windjammer. It is Asian decor and has some nice seating at the Sushi Bar or you can order at any of the tables that are also there.

The Sushi is very "nominal" in price and we really enjoy the Sushi in there. It is not "top drawer" sushi, but it is very nice. If you ask the head sushi fellow to make you something special, omitting some ingredients, that is perfectly okay. They do make "most" of the sushi while you wait.

The times that Jade is open is usually around 7:00 PM to 10:00 PM for dinner. On some days, they open for extra hours, but you'll need to check your Compass for those hours. On the Four day cruise, I noticed that it wasn't open at all on the day we visited Catalina.

It is almost time!!!

I am really getting excited about my upcoming Monarch cruise 9/29/2008).

The thrill of walking up the ramp and boarding the ship; The hunny-stung chicken waiting for me in the WJ; checking out the ship that first afternoon; making sure my dinner table reservations are "just so"; unpacking and getting reaquainted with my deck 8 cabin...

Ah, my "first day" rituals are so inviting...so relaxing just to think about.

I am cruising with a friend who has never cruised before - so this trip is extra special.

I just can't wait!!!!!:) :D :)

I have cabin 7506 on my cruise. Does anybody have any insight on this cabin? Is it noisy?

Thanks for any info you can give me.

This reply is not to scare you, but give you some basic info.....

I would not want this cabin for the 3 day weekend cruise, as the front of the ship tends to be a congregation point for parties. Heard horror stories of people not sleeping because of the noise. I don't think it would be an issue on a long trip such as yours.

You need to close your curtains, as people can see into your cabin. The common walkway is right there.

But even with that said, I love deck 7, and will be there on my final trip on Monarch - October 10th.

Dave

This reply is not to scare you, but give you some basic info.....

I would not want this cabin for the 3 day weekend cruise, as the front of the ship tends to be a congregation point for parties. Heard horror stories of people not sleeping because of the noise. I don't think it would be an issue on a long trip such as yours.

You need to close your curtains, as people can see into your cabin. The common walkway is right there.

But even with that said, I love deck 7, and will be there on my final trip on Monarch - October 10th.

Dave

Thanks for the info. I booked an ocean view guarantee and this was where I was assigned. I guess it could have been worse, huh? I'm sure I'll enjoy my nice long cruise on the Monarch. Thanks again.

Is it buffet style? No.

When we were on the Monarch of the seas, Sept 5, 2008. The portion of the Jade restaurant we used was forward from the Windjammer. Dinner meals it was closed off from the windjammer. We had our breakfast and lunch in Jade portion, it was much quiter and great outside views. Breakfast and lunch was served buffet style we were able to bring our choices of food from windjammer and enjoyed the meals forward in the jade portion. I do not remeber if there is two decks to Jade. If it does we used the lower deck.

Is it buffet style? No.

When we were on the Monarch of the seas, Sept 5, 2008. The portion of the Jade restaurant we used was forward from the Windjammer. Dinner meals it was closed off from the windjammer. We had our breakfast and lunch in Jade portion, it was much quiter and great outside views. Breakfast and lunch was served buffet style we were able to bring our choices of food from windjammer and enjoyed the meals forward in the jade portion. I do not remeber if there is two decks to Jade. If it does we used the lower deck.

Monarch has two Jades - there's the Jade section of the Windjammer, all the way forward on Deck 11, which is the standard buffet on the starboard side and Asian-themed dishes on the portside. Although it's usually only open for breakfast and lund, on formal night it's open and they set the tables with tablecloths.

The other Jade is Jade Sushi, on Deck 12 forward. There is a sushi bar and tables, and the sushi is fair. They also have tempura, although for some reason it's not on the menu.

Monarch has two Jades - there's the Jade section of the Windjammer, all the way forward on Deck 11, which is the standard buffet on the starboard side and Asian-themed dishes on the portside. Although it's usually only open for breakfast and lund, on formal night it's open and they set the tables with tablecloths.

The other Jade is Jade Sushi, on Deck 12 forward. There is a sushi bar and tables, and the sushi is fair. They also have tempura, although for some reason it's not on the menu.

Hi Jean! Excellent description! I was also confused a few years ago about the difference between Windjammer Jade and the Jade Sushi restaurant. I of course asked here on CC and it was explained to me then. Now, after several Monarch cruises I am able to help out others as well.

Is should also be noted that upon embarkation, if you are one of the first to board, you will be directed to Windjammer Jade first as the other Windjammer areas are still closed until more people board. I enjoy WJJ more because of the view. You are at the front of the ship right above the bridge. There are panoramic views from there.

This is a picture I took standing near the front of the ship on deck 12 looking aft. Windjammer Jade is open for dinner on the lower level and Jade Restaurant is above.

2894110030046215528S500x500Q85.jpg

We are looking at taking the Monarch next year. We would like to book a Junior Suite. We notice that they are either under Windjammer or the pool area. Can anyone tell me what the noise level would be for these? Currently the cabins listed by RCCL's website (1048, 1050, 1546, 1548, 1550, but there may be more not listed) are the ones nearest the elevator. Any input on which cabins are quietest or have better views would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx,

Erika

Birdylady: My favorite JS is 1088 or 1588. It is at the end of the hallway, but most often is much quieter and doesn't seem to have as much noise from above.

I guess my one concern, sailing out of Port Canaveral, you'll be in mostly warm/hot climates and the pool will be used a lot more. In LA and the Mexican Riviera area, it is hot during the summer months, but it cools down considerably from October through June.

I didn't sail on the Monarch much during the summer months, so that would be something that should be considered as you choose a cabin. Since the cruise is only 3 or 4 nights, I wouldn't really worry too much. Be prepared, though. The JS's on the Monarch are not as large as some of the other ships in the RCCL fleet!

Archived