competitive OBC from TA question

nicole9s

I am shopping quotes to transfer my cruise reservation. What would you consider a 'competitive' offer for a travel agent, or what has been your experiences? We are on a 5 nighter on the Century in a Royal Suite. It appears that TA's cannot 'undersell' X, so they try to make it up in OBC and other incentives.

I have never received more than a coupon book in the past, but I've never been on a really $$ cruise before either, they were always short ones that were booked at the last minute...

Thanks for your help

If I were you I would check around. Many TA's give a cabin credit and some have champagne waiting in your cabin the day you board. I have always received the coupon book that is like part of your tickets. You are not getting anything extra. Shop, shop, shop around.

I am shopping quotes to transfer my cruise reservation. What would you consider a 'competitive' offer for a travel agent, or what has been your experiences? We are on a 5 nighter on the Century in a Royal Suite. It appears that TA's cannot 'undersell' X, so they try to make it up in OBC and other incentives.

I have never received more than a coupon book in the past, but I've never been on a really $$ cruise before either, they were always short ones that were booked at the last minute...

Thanks for your help

Isn't that a 2Kpp stateroom? Probably $200.00. I think for most 5 night's the online agencys are $100.00

Susan,

That same on-line TA withdrew a much smaller incentive they originally gave us to switch our booking to them when we began pursuing cruise line price drops. We did get the price drops, but lost the so called incentive.

David

tHAT'S BECAUSE THEY WERE GOING TO LOOSE THEIR SMALL MARGIN THEY GAVE YOU TO BOOK WITH THEM.

Sorry about the caps.

tHAT'S BECAUSE THEY WERE GOING TO LOOSE THEIR SMALL MARGIN THEY GAVE YOU TO BOOK WITH THEM.

Sorry about the caps.

Here's why you sometimes can't offer a set rebate (either cash or OBC) if you also promise to pass on any price drops.

Say it's a $2000 (commissionable amt) cruise you're dealing with. You call around and a TA is willing to give you an OBC of $200 which is equal to 10% of the fare (the TA is making 15% commission).

You're effectively are paying $1800 and your TA is still making $100 ($300 initial commission less the $200 given back to you).

A couple of months later the fare drops to $1500. It wou;d be reasonable to assume that that $200 OBC is still on the table as that is what was promised to get your business.

But now the TA is only making $25 (15% of $1500 = $225 then less the $200 promised to you).

And if there were further big fare drops the TA could be working for free or worse.

That's why some TAs that do this sort of thing base the OBC on a percentage of the final commissionable fare. In this example, if the final fare is $1500 your OBC would be $150 and the TA ends up making $75 instead of $25.

If you're shopping a booking around to various agencies be sure to find out exactly how any promised OBC (or other perk) would be affected in the case of a price drop. And get it in writing.

Here's why you sometimes can't offer a set rebate (either cash or OBC) if you also promise to pass on any price drops.

Say it's a $2000 (commissionable amt) cruise you're dealing with. You call around and a TA is willing to give you an OBC of $200 which is equal to 10% of the fare (the TA is making 15% commission).

You're effectively are paying $1800 and your TA is still making $100 ($300 initial commission less the $200 given back to you).

A couple of months later the fare drops to $1500. It wou;d be reasonable to assume that that $200 OBC is still on the table as that is what was promised to get your business.

But now the TA is only making $25 (15% of $1500 = $225 then less the $200 promised to you).

And if there were further big fare drops the TA could be working for free or worse.

That's why some TAs that do this sort of thing base the OBC on a percentage of the final commissionable fare. In this example, if the final fare is $1500 your OBC would be $150 and the TA ends up making $75 instead of $25.

If you're shopping a booking around to various agencies be sure to find out exactly how any promised OBC (or other perk) would be affected in the case of a price drop. And get it in writing.

So then, if the TA keeps dropping their OBC, the final result will be that you're in the same spot as if you booked with the cruiseline.

OK if you're booking last minute (probably not too many price drops), but if you're booking far in advance, find out if the OBC will drop also.\\

Has anyone ever stayed in this room? My wife are looking to confirm this tomorrow for a 4 night cruise. It is a suite. We are bringing our 8 month old. Do they have a drape or something that can be used to serperate the bed area from the rest of the room? He sleeps MUCH better when he isn't within eye's view.

Thanks!

We are also thinking of booking adjoining rooms, but that is a MUCH more exspensive option. Unfortunately, there is nobody we can leave him with.

Has anyone ever stayed in this room? My wife are looking to confirm this tomorrow for a 4 night cruise. It is a suite. We are bringing our 8 month old. Do they have a drape or something that can be used to serperate the bed area from the rest of the room? He sleeps MUCH better when he isn't within eye's view.

Thanks!

We are also thinking of booking adjoining rooms, but that is a MUCH more exspensive option. Unfortunately, there is nobody we can leave him with.

I've never booked a SS, so I could be wrong, but... I don't think you even get a dividing curtain, just a blackout curtain at the window/door - of course, you get a lovely cabin! Here's a link for a SS on the Galaxy. All the Century class ships have the same cabin layout in different color schemes. I hope this helps you.

http://community.webshots.com/album/344081072rgOnij

Happy cruising!:)

Denise

Don't know why you would ask this question on a thread that deals with OBC from TAs, but here's your answer: No. The sky suite is just one room, square shaped, that measures approx. 240 sq. feet. No drape, and no way in which to hang one.

My advice would be to go for a FV category cabin - these have a sitting area with a sliding partition that separates it from the sleeping area.

So then, if the TA keeps dropping their OBC, the final result will be that you're in the same spot as if you booked with the cruiseline.

Exactly my point. If you book far in advance directly with the cruise line, and plan to monitor price drops yourself (because the big TAs cant be relied upon to do it for you), and want to take advantage of those price drops, it makes little sense to switch your reservation to a TA because of promises they won't keep, regardless of the reason. In addition, I found out after we switched to this particular TA that they have a penalty charge (not disclosed to us in advance) for cancelling the booking (ie, moving it back to Celebrity). This is only our third cruise, and I am learning that it pays to do things directly with the cruise line myself. BTW, I see that Susan's original post which names the TA in question has been deleted.

David

Archived