Changing our Honeymoon plans

Jeepenfun

Well we've decided to change our honeymoon plans and cut back a bit because of some cost issues with being able to pay for what we wanted to do.

Originally we planned to do the 5 day Elation cruise then drive up the coast to Disneyland for 3-4 nights. Now we've decided to hold off on Disneyland till later like a 1st anniversary trip or when we can do it with the kids.

SO!

were going to do just a cruise for our honeymoon and basicaly that opens the doors to a LONGER cruise anywhere for just a few hundred more then what the Elation would have cost. Longer cruise? bigger ship? caribbean islands? HEY, I'm fine with that!!! Now were looking on the other side of the nation for a caribbean cruise. :cool: So me and the future DW are wondering what 2 first time cruisers should take for a honeymoon cruise in the caribbean area or gulf of mexico area?

BTW our wedding is June 21st, 2008.

I did mention to her some of the ports in the caribbean and she really would like to see Puerto Rico. I myself would love to see St. Thomas and some island with crystal blue waters and sugar white sandy beaches.

Also you guys know the ships better and what ship would be the one to be on for a honeymoon and definately get the cruise bug so we want to do more cruises.

What do you guys think? ideas? suggestions?

Personnaly, I beleive an eastern caribbean cruise is better and more fun for a honeymoon. You will find nicer beaches for young lovebirds to enjoy. I would suggest Orient beach in StMartin to bring some spice into your mojo ;)

Well, since you are flying anyways, look at a cruise out of San Juan. Less chance of the ship being overloaded with kids (which can happen during summer vacation time) and you would get to the two ports you want to see.

Go with a eastern Brad, you'll enjoy it alot more than than the western as its more romatic. Sure Belize, Cozumel, Roatan are nice. But nothing beats the beaches on the eastern side. You should gimme a call or get on MSN tonight and we can chat, ive got some ideas and itinerarys that I can IM you or email.....

Quick question about San Juan as a embarkation port. I have heard that those ships are full a non english speaking passengers:confused:
I had heard that as well, but it was not true on our cruise. If a cruise is not selling well, the cruiseline will sometimes offer specials to port city or state residents, but that happens at all port cities. I think it just depends on the sailing. Since several cruiselines pull out of the Caribbean during the summer, I would think that would make more demand for the Carnival ships that do stay.

Quick question about San Juan as a embarkation port. I have heard that those ships are full a non english speaking passengers:confused:

I did not have that experience on my cruise out of San Juan.

I did mention to her some of the ports in the caribbean and she really would like to see Puerto Rico. I myself would love to see St. Thomas and some island with crystal blue waters and sugar white sandy beaches.

If you do wind up taking a cruise out of Florida, rather than straight from San Juan, watch the times on the San Juan (Puerto Rico) stops. Quite a few ships have a 5 PM - midnight stop, and you wouldn't have the chance to see much.

Good point! I think it is hit or miss. But most the bad reviews were during the summer months on the Destiny. Which is exactly when the OP is getting married:o The only other line is RCCL that sails out of San Juan in June I believe. I have not heard any bad reviews about AOS. Maybe they sale better and don't have to lower their rates.:confused:

Eastern is always good:D

You might want to look at airfare to San Juan first. I am coming from Seattle, and it has always been out of reach. It's fairly inexpensive to fly to Florida from here.

I thought the same thing until I just kept checking weekly. Our airfare to San Juan for this coming Dec from Calif. was cheaper then flying to Miami.

Airfares consistently have been going up and down lately.

Well we've decided to change our honeymoon plans and cut back a bit because of some cost issues with being able to pay for what we wanted to do.

Originally we planned to do the 5 day Elation cruise then drive up the coast to Disneyland for 3-4 nights. Now we've decided to hold off on Disneyland till later like a 1st anniversary trip or when we can do it with the kids.

SO!

were going to do just a cruise for our honeymoon and basicaly that opens the doors to a LONGER cruise anywhere for just a few hundred more then what the Elation would have cost. Longer cruise? bigger ship? caribbean islands? HEY, I'm fine with that!!! Now were looking on the other side of the nation for a caribbean cruise. :cool: So me and the future DW are wondering what 2 first time cruisers should take for a honeymoon cruise in the caribbean area or gulf of mexico area?

BTW our wedding is June 21st, 2008.

Also you guys know the ships better and what ship would be the one to be on for a honeymoon and definately get the cruise bug so we want to do more cruises.

What do you guys think? ideas? suggestions?

Ships sailing the Southern Caribbean sail full.

Ships sailing the Eastern Caribbean sail full.

Ships sailing the Western Caribbean sail full.

Somebody enjoys one or the other or the other. Or, like me, they enjoy them all. Which will you like best? Only you will know AFTER you have sailed them all. So that's the answer, SAIL THEM ALL. Which first? Do rock, paper, scissors to find out. Or coin flips. Its all good.

Dan

We did Eastern on the Carnival Liberty and loved it! Did the southern on RC AOS and spent a few days in San Juan before the cruise. Loved that too!! I liked the western, but not as much as these 2 cruises. Either would be great for a honeymoon!!;)

I just looked at airfare from Denver to San Juan and it's about $200 more per person then leaving from Miami. Also with the cruise out of San Juan you in port everyday and no fun days at sea unless we booked on RCL. We'd like to use United to Miami if possible. My mom has some milage points she's going to let us use to get one of the tickets for free.

So looking at some of the sailings out of Miami for the 22nd or the 28th that include San Juan and St Thomas it looks like theres 2 different ships.

The one that leaves on the 22nd is on the Triumph and the same cruise that leaves on the 28th is aboard the Liberty. The Liberty looks like a bigger and newer ship plus we wouldn't be pushed to fly down to Miami the night of our wedding and get into Miami at 1am find a cheap hotel by the port and get a few hours of sleep (HA!!! Sleep on our wedding night? thats a laugh) anyway get up late and mosey our way to the ship. If we did the cruise on the Liberty we could have a few days to prepare and pack take a decent flight the day before and just stay in a hotel next to the port. Only thing is we would be at sea during July 4th. Has anyone ever been on a ship during July 4th? do they do anything special for that day? I know Disney CL is the only CL that I've heard thats allowed to fire off fireworks from the ship. But what could we expect for July 4th celibrations on the Liberty? (hmmm Liberty.......July 4th?)

I know this is the Carnival board, but I'd totally recommend the Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas out of San Juan. I just got back from it last month, and LOVED it. (I'm in my mid-20s, by the way.)

The itinerary was the best - you can start your honeymoon by arriving in SJ a bit early to spend some time in a romantic hotel. The itinerary we did was Aruba-Curacao-St. Maarten-St. Thomas. It was awesome--Aruba has the most beautiful beach (Eagle Beach) I have ever seen in my life. You guys can get massages in beachside cabanas at Manchebo Beach Resort there...so cool! We did that, and it was a great experience. In Curacao, we went to a remote beach (Playa Porto Mari), which was also really nice...great snorkeling, picturesque location...not crowded at all, etc. In St. Maarten, we did an island tour with some shopping with a wonderful tour guide...and then in St. Thomas (my favorite island and 2nd time there), I did Snuba at Coki Beach with VISnuba. Then, we spent the afternoon shopping. That would be a GREAT way to spend your honeymoon. Oh, and United does fly to San Juan so maybe you can use the miles for that, as well.

Well discussed this with the fiancee last night compairing the 2 options on Liberty or Triumph. With Triumph leaving on the 22nd and out wedding planned for 21st we'd be pushed after the cerimony, reception to change, get to the airport to grab the last United flight to Miami at 6:30pm and would put us in Miami at 12:30am Miami time. Then find a hotel at 1-2am in the morning close to the dock. hmmmmm.

I'm thinking it would be better to wait a few days and get on the Liberty that sails on the 28th. Fly down that Thursday, get a hotel maybe along Miami beach for a couple nights then get on the Liberty on Saturday.

We looked at the cruise out of San Juan and with it being in port every day it would keep us pretty busy and not much time to enjoy the ship. At least with the cruise on Liberty it gives us 2 days at sea and some awsome ports. We want some time to just veg and relax. Were not in our 20's anymore (were in our early to mid 30's) and want to just take some time and enjoy siting on the beach or siting on the ships deck staring out to sea. Looks like halfmoon cay and grand turk might be good places to veg on the beach, horse back riding, boat rides, sight seeing, snorkling, laying on a raft in the water. St. Thomas would be a good place to shop and sight see with a beach stop along the way. San Juan another good place to shop and sight see. We'll have to look into Puerto Rico more and see what theres is to do. My parents have been to St. Thomas several times and are already telling us all the great things to see and do.

Have you considered a Disney cruise? Best of both worlds IMHO. They have an eastern iten. and it includes a stop a Disney's fabulous private island Castaway Cay with a private adult only beach!

Or you can keep your original plans, Disneyland is possible to do inexpensively, stay on Harbor Blvd and save a ton of money on food and lodging. We just took our first trip to Disneyland (after many many trips to Disneyworld) in May. We fell in love with the place, we stayed at the Disneyland Hotel (loved it)but some of the Harbor Blvd hotels were even closer. Our next trip we will try the Grand Californian.

I love Disney, can't you tell?

Have you considered a Disney cruise? Best of both worlds IMHO. They have an eastern iten. and it includes a stop a Disney's fabulous private island Castaway Cay with a private adult only beach!

Or you can keep your original plans, Disneyland is possible to do inexpensively, stay on Harbor Blvd and save a ton of money on food and lodging. We just took our first trip to Disneyland (after many many trips to Disneyworld) in May. We fell in love with the place, we stayed at the Disneyland Hotel (loved it)but some of the Harbor Blvd hotels were even closer. Our next trip we will try the Grand Californian.

I love Disney, can't you tell?

I was getting prices from the 3 different hotels on the Disneyland grounds for a 4 night stay of $1800-$2400 that included park tickets. the most expensive of course being the Disneys Grand Californian hotel. We wanted to stay in the Grand Californian because after all it's our honeymoon. :p But with a 5 day cruise and doing Disneyland too it just added to much cost to it at once. Were going to do the Disney thing later with the kids and possibly once we recoop from the cost of our wedding we can include the disney cruise in with it.

Also our honeymoon of course will not include bringing our kids so going on a disney cruise without them would be pointless. Were still going to have a great honeymoon with the cruise we want to do. It includes going to halfmoon cay which is also a private island thats shared by 2 other cruise lines. Isn't Halfmoon cay what carnival calls it's "Funship Island"? or is that another island?

You just checked the 3 Disney hotels? Before you decide on a cruise, check out the prices for the good neighbor hotels on Harbor. Get a list of the Good Neighbor Hotels form the Disney site and then go to their websites or call them to get prices. I've heard really good things about the HOJO, Candy Cane Inn, and Carousel Inn. When we booked in May the Candy Cane inn was $100 per night and the Disneyland Hotel was $400 a night. We were going to book the Candy Cane (just my daughter and I for a mothers day trip) when my mom decided to come, she had to use a scooter so we decided to go ahead and stay at the Disneyland Hotel so she wouldn't have to cross the street. Also the packages that Disney sell for Disneyland are not a good deal, just book your hotel separate and buy your tickets separately (we bought our at the Disney Store) and you will come out ahead.

If you are looking for a relaxing honeymoon, I would skip Disneyland and just go for a longer cruise. It is really hard for me to pass up an opportunity to visit the mouse, though.

Archived