Train to Cefalu

From the port, how far is it to the train station in Palermo? Also, how far is it from the Palermo to Cefalu if we wanted to go their on our own, and is this even feasible?

Any advice would be great since I did a search on the boards and couldn't find an answer anywhere.

Thanks,

Melissa

It is easy enough to get fro Palermo to Cefalu and back by train. The major problem is going to be the schedule. Ther is a gap in the mroning. 0730, 825 and then no train until 1020. Except for that gap there are trains going each way at leas once per hour (at any time you are likely to be traveling.) The trip take less than an hour. Italian trains (except when there is a strike) are well run and usually on-time -- in the North. This is Sicily, however, so do not be surprised if the schedule is more theoritical than real.

The Cathedral is a wonderful Norman church. Interesting choice of places to visit.

I've been to the area several times, but never via ship so I can't tell you where the ship docks/tenders and, therfore, cant tell you how to get to the train station. Sorry

Paul

Thanks Paul. I'm sure I can look up the location of the train station & see where it is in relation to the port.

Do you know if the train schedule in the afternoon has any breaks, or would I be safer just taking an excursion with the ship?

Melissa

I absolutely think Cefalu from Palermo is doable. We did the opposite. We had a car, spent about 3 hours lost in Palermo on one way streets, so got on the autostrada and went to Cefalu. The next day, we rode the train back into Palermo and saw the sights. I think the ride was maybe 50 minutes. Just check the schedule with the ticket agent when you buy your ticket. If you should be surprised by an impromptu train strike, you could always fork over the bucks then for a taxi. I wouldn't even think of doing a ship tour. We actually loved Cefalu and ended up staying there 3 nights when I had originally only planned 2, but it was a lovely little walkable town. We roamed and roamed, it was great!

We researched this thoroughly and decided given the Italian propensity to [a] go on strike or the trains to break down to give it a miss - we decided that it unfortunately be filed under the 'too hard' category - we would have to start catching a train back around 1p and would not have time for lunch.

Another trip perhaps.

Thanks Paul. I'm sure I can look up the location of the train station & see where it is in relation to the port.

Do you know if the train schedule in the afternoon has any breaks, or would I be safer just taking an excursion with the ship?

Melissa

The afternoon train scehdule:

Leave Cefalu/Arrive Palermo Centrale

1252/1355

1320/1415

1403/1500

1517/1615

1644/1735

1745/1835

1826/1930

the 1745 train is more expensive and requires reservations -- the others are jsut buy a ticket and hop on any train (AFTER you have canceled the ticket in the yellow bo-things which are usually found near the stars to the tracks -- dont worry, they are hard to miss. But, you probably want to be back before six thirty anyway.

Paul

Thanks for all of your help. My husband and I decided to take the ship's excursion to Cefalu instead...just to be on the safe side.

We'll be back in time to walk around in Palermo a little...if we actually want too ;)

Melissa

Archived