OMIGOD! I can't find my passport

joramrose

Joan,

I hope we sail together someday. What a great story. What a great attitude!

I did want to add two things. If you really need cash, you can still wire money via Western Union just about anyplace in the world on any day. It will cost you a bunch but it will get you some cash too. And if you have an American Express card and the phone number to call they will cancel your old card, get you a new one, and give you a cash advance.

Lastly, if you are computer literate do as we do. I have all our ID in a password 64 bit encrypted file on an online storage site. From any online computer in the world I can download all my ID including pictures of not only my passport but my credit card, driver's license and more, print it out and I can either report them stolen or use the cards themselves (I always leave some of my cards at home.)

Again, Joan, you are an amazing woman with a super attitude.

Joan and all ~ thanks so much for sharing your stories. Exchanging this kind of information is what makes CC so valuable. I've been around here a long time and I still learn some much from everyone else. Thanks so very much!!!!

Happy Cruising to all!

Bill, when I met you in front of the Marriott with Joanie and George, I thought "I know these people, why haven't I run into them before?"

It was an hour later when I remembered you and Marilyn were not on the cruise.

But yeah, it was fun meeting face to face, even if briefly!!!

Oh, and for those of you who have been wondering -- yes, I do have travel insurance, and yes, this delay is covered. I take it out with my TA, and this is twice now I have had a claim. (I had to cancel a Med cruise because of unexpected, unplanned surgery.) It really is no hassle.

love

joan

Dear dear Joan,

First of all, consider yourself ((((hugged)))). What a story. Fortunately, for me, I have not had anything like that happen. AND, with much thanks to you, I will prepare myself just in case. Your story has been so helpful to many of us. (Sadly, very entertaining too!:o ) I would be one of the first in line at Borders to buy your book.

I'm also so glad that your son came through the way he did. Families can make or break you at any given moment. He was very caring and that goes a long way.

Cathy

Oh, you poor thing! Glad it worked out in the end.

I have gone to checkin on out international flight only to discover that our passports we sitting back at the checkin desk in the domestic airport we had just flown from. There were tears then. We missed our flight but managed to get our passports in time for the next flight 6 hours later.

for sharing your experience and advise with all of us. I followed Tuggers posts and knew what had happened as well as when you were finally onboard and enjoying yourself again.

Lessons learned - Thanks Again

Joan,

It was so good to hear your happy ending. Reading Gail's journal, I felt like we were back on the cruise with you.......

I am missing all my friends from the last Zenith cruise. Hopefully, one day we will cruise again together. We are cruising Canada'New England next Oct 5, 2008/ I know that Earl and Ryan wre looking at some of those cruises. We would love for you to join us. Maybe bring the gang with you.......

Mike And Barbara

Joan, you are a tribute to your gender. Have been following your adventure, as friends were on this cruise (Chuck & Wanda). So glad things turned out well, but if it hadn't, I'm sure you would have dealt with it and still manage to have fun. How touching that there are still good people in the world. Kind of renews my hope for human nature/nuture. That was so sweet of Phil to offer to stay with you. There will always be nasty and desperate people anywhere you go, but there are an abundance of wonderful and caring people too.

Happy sails/trails in the future.

Sharon

Joan, I have just read your story. Wow. what an experience! I am so happy it turned out for the best, however belatedly. I know it must have grieved the rest of your group when they had to leave you. There were probably tears shed on the bus as well as on the steps. I wish I could have been in the MB to welcome you "home". Hope to sail with you again before too many more years. Love from me to you, Patty

We haven't been on a cruise yet; we are planning our first cruise to Alaska next September. Reading the posts on this thread has made an impression on me. What a different way to travel - with companions who truly care about their fellow passengers' well-being. Maybe someday we'll be lucky enough to meet some of you, but in the meantime, this is what happened to us in Paris, France.

My husband discovered that his passport was missing within minutes after getting off the train in Paris from the airport. I think that it fell out of his back pocket, because I had seen it sticking out earlier (now he carries it in his front pocket). With my grade-school French, we got past the throng in front of the American Embassy in Paris, and the embassy personnel were very understanding and helpful. They asked my husband who the Senators were from our home state of Tennessee, and when he answered correctly they told him that most Americans couldn't name both of their state senators, which I guess made him suspicious. They asked him if he had any brothers and sisters, and what they did for a living. My husband answered that his brothers worked for GM in Pontiac, Michigan, and that his sister laid around on the couch and drank tea and watched television :rolleyes: . There was no longer any doubt that he was American.

If we both keep cruising, Patty, I know one day I will walk past the Martini Bar and there you will be!!!!! I still like the Zenith best.

Jean, would you believe I "met" all those nice folks right here on the boards. With some I have now cruised several times -- with others we are friends only on the Internet until this cruise.

Hang in there, and several cruises later, you will have a wide circle of friends on these boards and be checking them every day.

Loved your story of DH's missed passport. I have had several grisly and grim passport fiascos, all of which eventually turned out well. I could write a book---

love

joan

I just saw this in the local paper last week:

Scan your important documents and email them to yourself before you go. That way, you "should" be able to call up the copies from anyplace you can get internet access.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal]JoAn ~ felt like I was right there with you sitting on that hotel stoop when I read Gail's cruise journal for that fateful day. I would have for sure cried a few tears watching them leave for the ship without me. You are a trooper. And your son is one too. What a jewel he is. Know you are proud of him and love him dearly.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Archived