Cruising Inside Passage

Alaska_or_bust

We would like to get a balcony for our cruise on NCL's Pearl next year. Which side do you get better views of whales and wild life on - Port or Starboard while cruising the Inside Passage? I have heard that the Port side is better for the Glacier Bay part of the crusie, but I was wondering about the rest of the cruise.

They are almost identical as far as just cruising in the Passage. You will have land far off on both sides.

I did sit out on our starboard side balcony a lot during the trip. We did see dolphins and whales and lots of seagulls on icebergs in Tracy Arm. I'm not sure what the folks on the port side saw.

for viewing wildlife, its' hard. you are going to need a excellent pair of binoculars to start with. BQ can tell you the best places to be out looking. but in general, it's very hard to see anything from the ship. outside of glacier bay we saw some sea otters, but they were away far away and just black dots. i only saw a couple of whales from the balcony, but on the same cruise..a person with a forward cabin saw a several of them.

just remember how lucky it is to see anything from the ship...views, yes..wildlife, maybe.

if wildlife is important, plan on excursions.

If you think about, wildlife is wild. :) They don't pass on the right or left. :)

Overall, port side will give you the best of Glacier Bay, so that selection may have the edge.

Since you post "inside passage" you do realize, you have 2 sea days, and actually the least "inside passage" sailing of Alaska cruises??

If scenery and wildlife are a priority, then side viewing isn't the best option, you need full front and the ability to track from ahead. On this itinerary, if you aren't traveling, until the third week of May, best humpback areas are your Juneau day and Glacier Bay day- being up about 30 minutes prior to the posted dawn time. Coming into Juneau, again, for the best chance, stay out until you get to Juneau. Humpbacks are the most predictable wildlife along with eagles, be out coming into and out of ports, the trees will be closer and eagles at some point. A GOOD pair of wide angle binoculars are necessary- at least 10 power is my preference.

The Pearl, has crappy front deck viewing in my opinion. The front lounge has better viewing, but I hate viewing from inside.

Archived