any interest in a "review" of recent Connie TA?

catmand

Chuck - I feel like an authentic "armchair traveler". You and Alistair (sp?) McLean make traveling so very interesting. This year will be our 6th cruise and I hope as enjoyable as yours.

Wanda - good luck w/your eyes - it's miraculous what they can do. Been there, done that and more. Now 20/20 for first time in 58 yrs. Truly wonderful. There are actually individual leaves on the trees and I can read the fine print on the sugar packets.

Again, Chuck, thanks so much for sharing.

My DH would love to go to Alaska - as we travel w/our best friends each year, they have no interest in going there. The first time they had the "baked Alaska" parade my best friend leaned to my husband and said "enjoy that baked Alaska as that's the closest you're going to get". What fun! Plan on doing Alaska when I retire.

Happy days to all.

Kathy

Joanie and Karyn.....what a wonderful experience we all had.

hugger.....if you haven't yet checked out the hotel get ready for a shock, just for the heck of it I looked for a December room, sure hope it's the holidays as 600 a night is a little steep. Also, if you think you may want to stay in New Jersey let me know. I can ask Debbie (our tour guide for NY) to suggest something.

Kathy.....I have to second Wanda on Alaska. We have been there three times and look forward to another several. I love to use this when people ask about going:

A cruise is a vacation and a cruise to Alaska an adventure. I don't use the word awesome often.....Alaska is awesome with a capitol A. Check out some of our (or anyones) Webshots Alaska pictures. As you may guess we are big proponents of seeing this part of our country. If there is anything I can tell you , or do, that may get you there, please let us know.

Oh man, Boston is already scoring runs!

Chuck

Chuck - Yes, I'd really appreciate it if you would ask where to stay in NJ. As that is most likely where we'll stay - considering the rates in NYC. And, that we'll be going to Cape Liberty to board the Connie the following day. BTW there are 6 of us.

We are looking for something decent but doesn't have to be luxury - just clean and safe. We need to consider the costs of transfers from the airport to the hotel and then from the hotel to the ship. Would also if possible like something that would be close to some type of public transit in case we can get down to see ground zero.

We feel a bit compelled to try and see ground zero if we are allowed to - doesn't look like you can right now. Not sure why or if that will change by the time we go in Oct 08.

Maybe even a place to stop and by some wine to take on the ship with us.

THANKS for the offer - I'll look forward to what your tour guide suggests.

Chuck - Yes, I'd really appreciate it if you would ask where to stay in NJ. As that is most likely where we'll stay - considering the rates in NYC. And, that we'll be going to Cape Liberty to board the Connie the following day. BTW there are 6 of us.

We are looking for something decent but doesn't have to be luxury - just clean and safe. We need to consider the costs of transfers from the airport to the hotel and then from the hotel to the ship. Would also if possible like something that would be close to some type of public transit in case we can get down to see ground zero.

We feel a bit compelled to try and see ground zero if we are allowed to - doesn't look like you can right now. Not sure why or if that will change by the time we go in Oct 08.

First Question, are you coming in to Newark Airport? So the following is based on a Newark Airport arrival.

Since your leaving from Cape Liberty you have a couple options. Friends of ours (they’re on the CC board as MII) stayed at the Country Inn & Suites at Newark, Airport (not really at airport) close to the airport and port. You can get a taxi from airport to hotel and make arrangements at the hotel for taxi the next day to port. When I went to pick them up the lobby area was very clean and inviting.

http://www.countryinns.com/newarknj_airport

Another hotel would be Wyndham-Newark Airport Hotel. They offer free shuttle service from airport to hotel. I haven’t stayed here but all the other Wyndham’s I’ve stayed at have always been nice. We’ve also signed up for the Wyndham By-Member and we get weekly emails with specials and every so often they’ll offer a 72 hour sale that are great.

http://doubletree1.hilton.com/en_US/dt/hotel/EWRDTDT-Doubletree-Hotel-Newark-Airport-New-Jersey/index.do

And then we have the Courtyard Newark Elizabeth which is by the Country Inn Suites.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/ewrez-courtyard-newark-elizabeth/

I’m sure some of these other hotels have a program like Wyndham where you’ll get emails advertising specials.

We need to consider the costs of transfers from the airport to the hotel and then from the hotel to the ship.

Contact each hotel and I’m sure they can help with the hotel to the ship, some might even offer a service to the port.

Would also if possible like something that would be close to some type of public transit in case we can get down to see ground zero. We feel a bit compelled to try and see ground zero if we are allowed to - doesn't look like you can right now. Not sure why or if that will change by the time we go in Oct 08.

Ground Zero is not what it was. There is all new construction going on with the new buildings going up and I don’t think anything will be around to see by next October.

None of these are walkable to any trains or light rail trains.

If you stay at the Country Inn or Courtyard there is a great mall across the street. It’s an outlet mall and their might be some kind of liquor store in the area. Around the hotels are restaurants too.

Hope this helps.

Debbie

Chuck, I almost forgot about the bagpiper. Fate brought us out to the balcony just as we were pulling away. It was a wonderful way to end a very nice port. I loved how everyone clapped and he bowed. Just wonderful.

Your travel log was so good. Yes, I too felt as though I was sailing again. It's interesting what you said about the cruise being a 9.xxxx. Some one asked me how it was and I said that it was really nice. They asked why I didn't like it. I did...I loved it...but it's different. It's not Alaska and those wonderful views. It's not warm, sunny islands. It's a TA and since this was our first, it was different....not bad, not just OK, but different. Will we do another....? Yes, we taking Connie back to Europe in April. That, too will be different. More sea days, different route.

Great reading. Love your writing style.

Bobbie

Barbara.....yes, the balcony was really nice. To be honest we didn't use it much while sailing (cold) but as usual we were out there when docking, docked, and or leaving port. The extra size was a plus but even more than that, I loved the location. We have almost always stayed at or very near the mid ship or aft elevator banks and have been on decks 7, 8, and 9.

Debbie.....great info.

Bobbie.....we have talked about another TA in the future? We love sea days but being on the west coast, Hawaii is very inviting and we would do that again. We also really enjoyed Europe, would like to do more sightseeing in several places so would really consider a round trip there before a TA. We also would like to revisit N.Y. and spend a few days in Washington D.C. which could tie into a very nice "fall color" cruise. Wanda wants to sail Alaska again while I would like to see the Panama Canal. And, it would be fun to do at least a 10 day Caribbean.

I'm pretty sure we will eventually sail another TA, I'm thinking 2012 or 2013, wonder when the schedules will come out?.....:D

chuck

Archived