Ft Lauderdale to Miami

hlv71

We found it easier and cheaper to rent a car and return in Miami and catch the shuttle to the pier. We rent from Hertz and they have a drop off location about 5 blocks from the pier and they also have a free shuttle to the pier. Another good point is that it opens up your options for hotels so your not forced into paying $150+ per night around Biscayne Bay.

We recently returned from Majesty. We used a private shuttle service. For the four of us it was $99 round trip (door-to-door service). Even with a 20% tip it was still cheaper than renting and parking a car at the terminal AND less hassle:p

We found it easier and cheaper to rent a car and return in Miami and catch the shuttle to the pier. We rent from Hertz and they have a drop off location about 5 blocks from the pier and they also have a free shuttle to the pier. Another good point is that it opens up your options for hotels so your not forced into paying $150+ per night around Biscayne Bay.

Are you saying it was cheaper than $65 to rent a car from Ft. Lauderdale AP to the Port of Miami?

I believe we explored that possibility last trip and because we had 5 in our immediate group we needed an SUV so it wasn't cost effective.

So we paid the $65 cab fare. FYI, the taxis are to the left when you walk out the AP and the shuttles are to the right. Shuttles are more expensive than the cabs. I believe it would've been $120 for the five of us.

And make sure when you tell the cabbie "Port of Miami", he doesn't get it confused whether on purpose or by accident with "Miami Airport". We had ours start to take the offramp to the airport when I caught him. He stopped dead in the middle of the road. It's a miracle we didn't get rear ended.

Jimmers

Are you saying it was cheaper than $65 to rent a car from Ft. Lauderdale AP to the Port of Miami?

I believe we explored that possibility last trip and because we had 5 in our immediate group we needed an SUV so it wasn't cost effective.

Jimmers

Yep, we rented a Dodge Magnum last year and only cost us $59 and yes we picked it up from FLL and returned it to the Hertz location in Downtown Miami.

LOve my sebring convertible, have it all year round, great fun car to drive. Now that being said.... I was told HERTZ did not have a shuttle service to the port, and so I booked with Thrifty and now some are telling me that off LOS I will not make my 12:54 flight out of FLL if i catch a shuttle(the free one) from the port of miami to the airport rental counter and then take it to fll airport for my flight. This is the cheapest for 4, being 41$ for a full size car. But have been told thrifty and alamo do not have enough shuttles and people wait hours to get the shuttle to the car rental counter in the airport....

LOve my sebring But have been told thrifty and alamo do not have enough shuttles and people wait hours to get the shuttle to the car rental counter in the airport....

I don't know, with all this dropping off cars, taking shuttles, etc, the cab ride is starting to sound like the way to go. Even if it is a few dollars more.

Jimmers

I don't know, with all this dropping off cars, taking shuttles, etc, the cab ride is starting to sound like the way to go. Even if it is a few dollars more.

Jimmers

Its not bad at all! We got to FLL went to the Hertz counter upstairs. They gave us keys and away we went. The following morning we woke up, went for some food, and after breakfast we dropped the car off at the Hertz location downtown and they provided a van to the pier. We have done this each time we've been to Miami.

Jimmers

Ask the cost before you get in the cab. A friend of mine took a cab from FLL to Port of Miami last May and it was $82 + tip.

We have hired a Car Service to pick my DH and I at FLL and take us to the Port of Miami and it will be $80 with fees and tip. To do the reverse it is going to be $90 because the Port of Miami charges an additional $10 fee.

Ask the cost before you get in the cab. A friend of mine took a cab from FLL to Port of Miami last May and it was $82 + tip.

We have hired a Car Service to pick my DH and I at FLL and take us to the Port of Miami and it will be $80 with fees and tip. To do the reverse it is going to be $90 because the Port of Miami charges an additional $10 fee.

If he was charged $82 + tip he was ripped. The cabs are metered and the trip should run around $65-70 +tip tops. Our charge was the same coming back to FLL AP, no additional $10 fee.

Jimmers

Its not bad at all! We got to FLL went to the Hertz counter upstairs. They gave us keys and away we went. The following morning we woke up, went for some food, and after breakfast we dropped the car off at the Hertz location downtown and they provided a van to the pier. We have done this each time we've been to Miami.

Yes, staying over a night before is always good. We usually try to do that but decided to wing it this time.

Jimmers

I was told HERTZ did not have a shuttle service to the port, and so I booked with Thrifty and now some are telling me that off LOS I will not make my 12:54 flight out of FLL if i catch a shuttle(the free one) from the port of miami to the airport rental counter and then take it to fll airport for my flight.
Hertz has an office in downtown Miami 5 minutes from the pier. They told me the shuttle from the pier to their downtown office runs every half hour and is a 5 minute ride. So if you get off the ship around 8:00am, you should be getting your car no later than 9:00am I would think. You should be at FLL by 10:00am. Plenty of time to catch a 12:54pm flight. Add an hour to all the totals if you get off the ship around 9:00am and you should still get to FLL close to two hours before your flight. Also, Liberty comes in on Saturdays and I really don't think it will take an hour to get from the Hertz office to FLL.

Tim

That is how we feel also. The last thing we want to worry about is renting a car to get to somewhere a taxi will take us directly, for only a little more (personal preference - obviously, this way works for some).

OP, if you want luxury, we recommend South Florida Transportation - we rented a stretch limo for the drive from FLL to Miami and it was delightful. They really do stand and wait for you with your name on a little sign. :p It was a family vacation and we had fun.

Ask for driver Mike if you do look into this; the rate was $105.00 inclusive.

Thanks everyone! The limo sounds nice. We were going to take transportation through our TA - I think the RCCL transportation and it was going to be $56pp. There are 4 of us so maybe the limo is about the same cost!

We have a highly recommended limo company taking us from FLL to the Port of Miami for $85 in a stretch limo--includes tax and tip. Can't beat the price or service.

That is a GREAT price. How many people for that price?

We usually go in groups of 4-8.

Jimmers

Archived