First solo - best choice leaving from NYC

Oriole

After reading this board, I'm beginning to get my nerve up about trying my first solo. ( I'm tired of getting angry with DH/DS who have no interest )

I live in the NYC area and would like to leave from there - I've read negative things about Carnival and NCL for solos. Any opinion about Caribbean Princess? HAL leaves NYC in October'08.

I'm not a party person and the thought of sitting with 10 strangers for dinner is a bit daunting.

Any suggestions on the length of cruise I should try for my first solo or the cruise line would be greatly appreciated!! Or any other tips as well>

Many thanks!!

Janet

I would recommend RCI, Explorer of the Seas out of northern NJ. I've never been on the ship, but I just got back from Liberty of the Seas. Explorer of the Seas is an older ship, but still has a lot of great features that they carried over to Liberty of the Seas (promenade, adult only pool, ec. So there should be plenty for a solo to do.

I've got an EOS cruise scheduled for April and I'm really looking forward to it. It's a big ship with a lot of people which means there's plenty to do, or if you want, you can just sit by the pool with a good book.

Another benefit with RCI is that they have assigned seating for dinner. However, be sure to check your table as soon as you get on the ship. Both times that I've been on RCI ships they put me at a table of 4 (this last time it was me and a newlywed couple). I tried to get a bigger table, but they couldn't get me one...however, I didn't mind eating by myself (the couple didn't show up after the first night). I just made sure I had a good book. And I lucked out by having a table by the window, so I got to see some flying fish beside the ship the last night.

If you don't want to chat with strangers at dinner, you have other dining options: the buffet (free), pizza on the promenade (free), cafe on the promenade (free), Johnny Rockets ($3.95) and there is also a specialty restaurant called Portofino's that's $20 (supposedly amazing food).

Anyway, that ship has a 5 nighter to Bermuda that my mom just got back from. She ended up getting sea sick so I don't think she enjoyed the ship as much as she could have.

They also have a 9 night to the Eastern Caribbean that I'm going on in April, and a 12 night to the Southern Caribbean. If you want to go to Canada, they also have an itinerary that goes up north.

Since this is your first cruise, you may want to try the 5 night to Bermuda. No matter which ship you choose, you're more likely to hit higher waves than if you sailed out of Florida--especially if you leave in the winter. Be sure to bring some sea sick meds just in case.

If you're interested in the EOS, there is a fan club over in the RCI boards :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=493964

I'm curious, what negative things have you heard about Carnival and cruising solo? I've cruised quite a few time solo on this line, Maybe I can help address any concerns you might have. :)

From the other boards, I've read that people feel that many of Carnival's shorter (1 week), warm weather itineraries have very few solo travelers - and people usually travel in pairs / groups.

I'd love to hear of your experiences, since I'd really like to leave from NYC.

Thanks so much!

I'm curious, what negative things have you heard about Carnival and cruising solo? I've cruised quite a few time solo on this line, Maybe I can help address any concerns you might have. :)

Hey just for the record I've cruised most of the Fantasy Class ships back in the 90's, as a couple. I would have no problem AT ALL cruising Carnival solo, even though I havent cruised Carnival in over 10 years(Im all Princess since 2000). Carnival is a great cruiseline, great deals truly Fun Ships and I thought the food was overall good to excellent. Cant go wrong with Carnival, except dont cruise during the summer months simply to many children. Carnival is a WINNER hands down.

I have done a fair amount of solo cruising. I have cruised with Celebrity RCI Princess and Cunard.

The QM2 is doing 10-13 nights Caribbean Cruises from NY over the winter. I sailed on a BTB T/A cruise on her in July and I loved every inch. She is a truly beutiful ship with a feel of bygone days. I loved the afternoon tea in the Queens Ballroom. White glove service of tiny sandwiches scones with jam and cream and delicious cakes. The dancing in the evening and they have Gentleman Hosts who will dance with ladies without partners. This was the first time I ever dared to go in the ballroom on a ship.

The entertainment was wonderful the best. Beautiful room and excellent standards of service and of course great food.

Have a look at it and give it some thought.

Sue

• 2 weeks later...

Janet - I understand the feeling. I am tired of my husband complaining everytime I want to cruise. I am thinking the solo thing next time. Glad to see someone else is thinking the same as I am. I am worried about getting LONELY on the ship.

I just came off the CB about a month ago from a Western out of FLL. I had a terrific time on board and I really enjoyed the "steadiness" of meeting the same people for dinner every night since I lucked out and got traditional 2nd seating. It was a table of eight with a newly wed couple, a platinum Princess cruising couple and myself; 3 people never showed up at all.

I'm very much like the OP in that I feel uncomfortable with new people but this group of 5 of us was perfect. We were having a ball toward the end of the cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
From the other boards, I've read that people feel that many of Carnival's shorter (1 week), warm weather itineraries have very few solo travelers - and people usually travel in pairs / groups.

I'd love to hear of your experiences, since I'd really like to leave from NYC.

Thanks so much!

I'd like to ask, so what if there are few other solo's traveling on your cruise? I've cruised by myself, on Carnival, from NYC, on trips more than 7 days and loved it. I met plenty of really nice people. Yes, most were with family or friends, but in general they were all friendly, sociable, and looking to meet people on their vacation. I certainly do not want to limit myself to meeting solo's. People are quite friendly, always looking to talk to anyone showing an interest, anyone who is friendly.

There are about 2000 people on board. Although there is no way you'll be friends with all of them, you will notice that there are certain people you just happen to bump into all the time. Trust me, it's very pleasant.

There will be other solo's on the cruise, there will be families with mom, dad and the kids, there will be honeymooners, and older retired couples, but the ship will be filled to capacity with vacationers who are cruising to have a great time and to meet other people, just like you are.

Please go and enjoy yourself. It will be fine.

Archived