Has anyone used the Transderm Scop patch?

vesw01

Just returned from 8 days on Legend. All I used was the Bonine. Started 2 days before i left taking at nite and took one every nite before bed while on the ship. Worked great..was able to drink and had no side effects.

Was really nervous about being sick as Merrypgo-rounds make me queasey..but Bonine was great.

On my first cruise, I was slightly sick when we were making time on some rough water. The 2nd cruise, I got the patch and was fine on the ship although there was no rough water. Used the patch on my 3rd cruise and went on a charter fishing trip on a small boat bouncing up and down. I was sick as a dog with the patch on while I was on that boat. Since then I have brought them with me but have not used the patch and have been fine. Also, be sure to alternate ears if you have sensitive skin because it was a little sore and itchy where the patch was put.

I used the patch the first cruise, but hated the blurry vision it gave me. I enjoy reading too much.

The second cruise I took bonine, 1x a day at nightime, and once on the morning when we were going on a long sea ferry, and had no issues.

(You can take up to 3 a day.)

I sweat alot and the patches would never stick to me more than a day or so anyway.

Regarding the Scopl. patch.....My husband tried it our first cruise and it wasn't for him. He suffered from the side effects which turned out to be worse that feeling a little nausated. His vision became very blurry along with hot flashes which happaned to be on formal night. He removed the patch shortly after and it took a couple of days for the side effects to subside. He was miserable!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I just got my prescription for the patch. Before I could get it my doc required that I get a blood pressure check first. He said that it's not a good idea for anyone with hypertension to use it because it can elevate BP significantly depending on the individual. This might account for some of the blurry vision that people have experienced. He also said to put it on at least a day before and that I could feel woozy, AND keep it on until I am done with the cruise and off the ship (and that I could feel woozy for several hours after the patch is removed).

I hope this works for me as I anticipate the boat to be a rockin' though Jeanne, Lisa, and whatever other storm decides to race its way across my vacation path next week! :)

Cheers,

Esther

:eek:

I used it for my last cruise too. Too many side effects that it states will subside, but they did not. Blurred vision, lasting a week after the cruise also. I could not read anything, the dinner menus, the Carnival Capers. I also had terrible dry mouth. Especially in the mornings and then at times during the day when we were active like in port. It gave me a slight rash and it itched in the area the patch was. I had always used just motion sickness pills before, and they worked and I only needed to take them if I needed them. You don't know if you will get sea sick or not. But I developed the spins after traveling last year and my doctor said for the cruise he would give me the patch. I will use the pills if I need them on our next cruise. Only good thing was you did not need to remember to take a pill every day. Just change the patch every three.

I am one who considers myself somewhat prone to motion sickness.. I get dizzy when trying to read in a car which is making a fair amount of turns... I do not like the "twirl and spin" rides at amusement parks.

...so I was happy to see that cruising on a LARGE ship did not seem to have the same profound effect on me. After several cruises, some with 15+ foot seas, I have only had fleeting feelings of motion sickness. I made a point not to dwell on those thoughts, and all turned out well. After seeing enough posts recommending various remedies (ginger and bracelets most notably) I felt that at least some (if not many) cases of motion sickness can be attributed to our expectation or fear of becoming sick - and those fears then cycle and build until :eek: ...!

I know for sure that there is a physical component to this as well (inner ear issues) and some people are inherently more prone to such disturbances.

As part of my education, I have done some research on the PLACEBO EFFECT, and I think there may be a little of that going on here.

Check our the following link for some additional tips on dealing with or avoiding motion sickness:

http://www.sandiego.org/nature/s_diveboat.asp

(scroll a little over 2/3 down the web page to find SEASICKNESS)

Note: this is not a professional or medically recognized source (site) for information - but I feel that they make some valid points. Though you may want to disregard the comment about NOT using a toilet or trash can to PURGE, but rather HANG OVER THE EDGE.... you will understand after reading it...LOL

My wife does use the patch - and has to deal with the blurry vision and thirst... with a generally slight ill feeling that does not pass until the patch is removed... but she has not tossed her cookies yet. She will try our next cruise without one - time will tell if she has her SEA LEGS yet..:D

Tom

Archived