finding plane type

Deloresgardella

We will be flying from SFO-LHR-FCO on Wednesday. I am not sure if we will be on a 777 or 757 for the first leg of our trip. How can I find that out. Thank you

Delores

The previous post is correct.

Since you did not post the airline, I am going to make an assumption. Non-stop SFO/LHR may be on a 777 due to fuel capacity. But depending on airline, it could be 747 (BA, Virgin, Singapore).

The 757 wouldn't even have the range to make it from SFO-LHR.

I could see it now though if they try to do it. The 757 gets to a certain point over the Alantic, runs out of fuel as expected, & then glides the rest of the way into LHR. This could be the newest way of saving fuel for all I know! ;-)

I am sure it must be the 747 then. I have flown a lot but still get really nervous. If I thought we were going to run out of fuel then I would be more so. I just looked at it wrong. Can choose my seats tomorrow, will be waiting by the computer right at the right time.

Delores

You thinking of a certain Canadian airline? :D
Nah....the Gimli Glider was a 767, not a 757.

Though not enough range for West-Coast USA to Europe flights, there is a growing use of the 757 for East Coast TATL flights on those "thin" routes that can't really support the 767 or A330. CO is the big player in the 757 game. Of course, Boeing stopped making the 757 before that demand really became noticeable. Another great decision by the Lazy B Ranch brain trust.

I was more thinking A330 ... ;)

I don't think Boeing can be blamed for ceasing production of the 757. Trans-Atlantic use is only ever going to be a niche market, and there are plenty of examples knocking around. Nobody wants to buy any new ones, because the aircraft has become obsolete. Apart from anything else, it's way too heavy (and therefore expensive to operate) compared to what you can now get for most of the missions for which it's used.

However, I did find a chart that suggests that, at a pinch, you could get a 757 to do SFO-LHR (4,664 nm in still air): page 5 (numbered 35) of this. You wouldn't take much payload or make much money, though!

Archived