name of port at Barcelona for hop-on/hop-off bus tour

Hello!

After reading many posts about doing a hop-on/hop-off in Barcelona, we're thinking of doing that. But does the bus actually pick up at the cruise ship dock? I didn't know the name of the dock, but if anyone does, or if anyone knows specifically that the bus does pick up at the dock, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I doubt it picks up at Moll Adossat - the cruise ship terminals. It likely picks up at Port Vell, which is at the end of Las Ramblas by the Christopher Columbus monument. A blue port bus runs between the 2.

Someone will know for sure.

The "HOHO" buses are designated tourist route buses following a defined tourist route, they're not a general public transportation bus. They pass the dock area on their way to the Olympic Village (I think) I don't think they'll pick you up with bags and all. And in my travels in BCN I noticed only one main ticket area and that was at the big circle at the top of LAS RAMBLAS. (name of the circle slips my mind)

CIAO,

We were in Barcelona 2 weeks ago and did the HoHo bus. The pickup point is at the same place the shuttle bus from the ship drops you off. Its a square in front of the Eurostars Grand Marina Hotel and virtually underneath the Cable car pylon. You cant miss it.

Jimmy

did the Bus Turistic last October - take the port shuttle bus from the terminal

to the Columbus Statue - there is a ticket booth just across the road towards town - there was a market there also.

We did the route from the Statue up past Placa de Catalunya where we changed to the other line to go to La Sagrada Familia. We then went around the other side of town and back to Columbus. All this between our AM arrival and Set Sail.

Hi,

don't plan to do too much hopping off. At the more popular sites we waited ~15 - 20 minutes to reboard.

If you can board on the lower level, do that. As room opens up on top, the attendents let those downstairs move up before new passengers board. Had we figured that out sooner, our waits may have been shorter.

Our shuttle from the port, let us off a block away from the christopher columbus statue.

janet

Hi,

don't plan to do too much hopping off. At the more popular sites we waited ~15 - 20 minutes to reboard.

If you can board on the lower level, do that. As room opens up on top, the attendents let those downstairs move up before new passengers board. Had we figured that out sooner, our waits may have been shorter.

Our shuttle from the port, let us off a block away from the christopher columbus statue.

janet

I totally agree with Janet. We were there last week, did the A (Red) route all the way around one day (stopping at Familia Sagrada and Parc Gruel), and then did the B (Blue) line the second day (full loop w/out getting off). Both times we boarded at Plaza Catalunya, and we waited well over 30 minutes (10am...prime time) for the A line, but only about 10 for the B.

All of us tourists want to ride up top to get the nice views, but if you just want to use the buses as 'transportation' then the attendents will call you forward ahead of everyone in line and allow you to board. Then, as Janet says, at the next stop you have priority over the people waiting in line...IF someone upstairs decides to get off.

However, this is NOT a very efficient means of transportation. It is great to wear the complimentary ear phones and listen to the running narrative (in your language of choice), but you are in traffic, stuck at stop lights (and/or at the bus stops) simply waiting a lot of the time. (But the city is so beautiful, there is always something interesting to look at or take a picture of)

If you know where you want to go, and if time is of the essence, then the metro or the other municipal buses would be faster (albeit less fun) alternatives.

Steve

Did I understand you correctly--did you arrive at BCN, go to the port to drop off your luggage on the ship, take the shuttle to CC statue to catch the HOHO, and arrive (hopefully with time to spare) back to the ship for sailing? Even though we are spending the night in BCN, this would really help us with our plans!

we used RCCL air and we were bussed to the port and arrived just as the check in counters were opening at 10 - we checked in, then went outside the terminal and waited for the port shuttle bus. Buy a round trip ticket on the bus - it will take you to the area around the statue. Cross the street toward town and there should be a kiosk on the corner that sells tickets for the HOHO. The brochure you get with your ticket has route maps and indicates how long it takes to go between stops. Traffic can be slow in BCN but I found the times to be quite accurate. We arrived back at our starting point, picked up the port bus and were back at the ship sometime between 4 and 5 pm. It was our only way to see any of BCN since we did not arrive early or stay after. This time we are staying overnight in BCN the satuday we return. I have video available if interested.

I saw the map with the red and blue line routes and wonder if you can transfer between the two lines at any point (it looked like they both stopped at Playa Cataluna)? Does anyone know if it's an "either-or" fare or if the tickets are good for both lines?

Archived