What to wear for formal night?

panz

Do you think that I can wear a nice sport jacket and pair of slacks dor formal night, we are going on Freedon on 10/21 and would like CC opinion. Thanks that sounds like smart casual/casual to me

From Royal Caribbeans web site;

What are the dress codes onboard?

A: There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are: con_bulletgray_ico.gifCasual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gif

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gif

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

Personally I believe if someone makes an effort to dress smartly, e.g. nice jacket and pants, then it is OK. These days we cruise alot so my DH owns and wears a tux however on our first cruise he wore a smart jacket and pants for one of the formal evenings.

From Royal Caribbeans web site;

What are the dress codes onboard?

A: There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are: con_bulletgray_ico.gifCasual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gif

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gif

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

But if someone at your table wore and sports jacket and a tie would you be horrified?

I've tried the sport jacket, suit and tux on different cruises. If your cruising on RCCL and are going to sit with people you don't know, I would say go with a suit at minimum.

If you were on a less traditional cruise line that promoted "open dinning" or were sailing with a group of people who you were not trying to impress a sport coat would work fine.

What I like best about cruising is that once you float away from the dock your free to relax and enjoy yourself. It really doesn't matter what anyone here thinks, there not coming home in your luggage. Do what makes you happy.

I'd likely scare you guys with what I wear on formal night. I go late 1890's western formal in a black Stetson, black frock coat, white shirt, and ribbon tie. Of course that also let's me get away with black jeans and boots, but it works!

It's your vacation, have fun with it. Go Victorian formal if you like, that's guaranteed to get some amusing results. More than the now commonplace kilt at any rate.

Archived