Can't swim unless Potty Trained?!?

tryinginaustin

We are thinking about cruising this summer, but we will have a nearly 6 month old. I was reading on fodors.com about no child can get into any line's pool unless they are potty trained...is this true? Thanks!

I think Disney has a baby pool that allow untrained children but not the other lines.

I remember reading that due to federal regulations "no diapers of any kind are allowed in swimming pools or hot tubs, even those marketed as 'swimmers'." However, I've also seen baby tubs where kids in diapers are allowed, as the pp said. The real question is, are you willing to take the risk inherent in using it, given that the aforementioned rule is for hygiene?

We are thinking about cruising this summer, but we will have a nearly 6 month old. I was reading on fodors.com about no child can get into any line's pool unless they are potty trained...is this true? Thanks!

Nope. Many of the pools aren't chlorinated. I don't want to be swimming in baby mess that isn't chlorinated. To solve our frustration with this, we're packing a portable, blow-up pool. You fill it (using an ice bucket) from the pool. When finished, you pour the water into a drain on deck or into the deck shower drains. Easy. Just put the porta-pool out of the way so you don't get yelled at. Keep reading on the Family Cruising forum and you'll get more ideas like this.

Swim diapers, and non potty-trained children are not allowed in pools on any cruise ships that call at US ports. This is a US Public Health Regulation, and covers all cruise ships calling at US ports.

"Why are children who are not toilet trained forbidden from swimming in pools on cruise ships?

Children who wear any type of swimming diaper or who are diaper-aged are not allowed to swim because fecal matter may contaminate the water. This can expose other swimmers to fecal matter that is potentially infectious. "

Swim diapers ar not allowed in pools on any cruise ship. This is a US Public Health Regulation, and covers all cruise ships calling at US ports.

"Why are children who are not toilet trained forbidden from swimming in pools on cruise ships?

Children who wear any type of swimming diaper or who are diaper-aged are not allowed to swim because fecal matter may contaminate the water. This can expose other swimmers to fecal matter that is potentially infectious. "

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/pub/FAQ/FAQ.htm#children

They are allowed in "splash areas" that don't collect water.

Of course if the ships do chlorinate then they will allow a swim diapered baby in the pools. Confused? We certainly were last month when we thought oh no swimming for DS, until we double checked onboard, it was ok because they do chlorinate!

Of course if the ships do chlorinate then they will allow a swim diapered baby in the pools. Confused? We certainly were last month when we thought oh no swimming for DS, until we double checked onboard, it was ok because they do chlorinate!

So you are saying that Cunard allows babies in their pools? You would be the first to ever say that, honestly.

To the OP - you have a choice of FIVE ships that allow non potty trained infants. Disney Magic and Wonder have an infant water play area. And RCCL Freedom class ships Freedom of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, Independence of the Seas have a newly created BABY ZONE. (see picture below)

FOScopy.jpg

If these 5 ships don't appeal to you, then you can take a small inflatable pool with you and allow you infant to use that. There is a current thread talking about how to do it.

So you are saying that Cunard allows babies in their pools? You would be the first to ever say that, honestly.

Well they certainly do on the QE2, they also allowed DS in the pools on the QM2 last year. We told them he was in a swim nappy and it was fine! Although there is a sign up saying no none-potty trained children. Weird, but I think that is there from before they started chlorinating. I suspect they have started chlorinating as part of their strict hygeine routine. I was talking to the crew last month and they were telling me about their company hygeine standards (more than the requirements), unbelievable! The stuff they have to do is phenomenal! So chlorinating takes away even more bugs and nasties. We also saw them clean up a little accident in a bar, the team comes out in full gear, masks, foot covers and seals the area off and disinfects top to bottom everything in the area, never mind the accident was the size of a dollar bill, it had to be done or the Captain would have been involved and disiplinaries handed out!

If the ships chlorinate the pools then this argument goes away.

Well they certainly do on the QE2, they also allowed DS in the pools on the QM2 last year. We told them he was in a swim nappy and it was fine! Although there is a sign up saying no none-potty trained children. Weird,

That's interesting! I tried to do a search on the Cunard site and it DOES say that there is a "Family pool" on the QE2 and it says nothing about swim diapers. The only thing it mentions about diapers on the whole site talks about the nannies in the nursery being unable to change them.

It's nice to know that families with young children are getting more and more options. Thanks for the info!

No chlorination = no diapers (swimmies, etc). Most cruise lines do not have chlorinated pools because then whenever they need to change the water, the water must be pumped into a sanitary system and the replacement water purchased and treated. This costs $$. Sea water, is cheaper for them -- some lines chlorinate.

Chlorinated swimming water has numerous benefits - for these lines the benefits must outweigh the costs. The lines with chlorinated pools tend to be the higher priced lines.

Now Disney and RCCI (selected ships) have special toddler splash zones for those children who are not yet trained. These areas have their own water source and disposal method. These areas have special regulations to which the lines must adhere. It too costs them a bit more - but they've made the decision that the benefits outweigh the costs.

Beyond the regulations, there are also liability issues (which impact insurance rates).

Having had numerous chats with the President and CEO of Cunard last month she mentioned several times that they want to target a younger audience, so I guess the chlorination must be part and parcel of that. FYI the nurserys and staff are fantastic!

Someone asked a similar question on the Celebrity links...and tis is what I posted..

This is on the Celebrity site--see item from US Public Health Dept

Age Restrictions:

The Celebrity X-Club Youth Program provides activities for children and teens 3 to 17. Children must be a minimum age of 3 years old. to participate in organized and counselor supervised activities. Proof of age may be requested. At the discretion of the Youth Program Manager, parents may accompany their toddlers to utilize the Fun Factory and participate in Shipmate activities.

Health Restrictions:

*Children participating in the Celebrity X-Club Youth Program organized and counselor supervised activities without a parent, must be completely toilet trained and diaper/pull-up free.

United States Public Health Department Policy prohibits persons who are not toilet trained or use diapers, pullups or swimmers from using the pools or spas...

http://www.celebritycruises.com/sear...t=pool+diapers

So the pool is an issue for public health and safety you can't get around.

But

the club can make accomodations If you have the form and have it notarized (my guess is also your developmental pediatrician can write something)

Here is the link

http://media.celebritycruises.com/ce...quest_form.pdf

Hope that helps. Frankly--the thought of a diaper in the pool is gross. They fill up like a lead ballon water as the gel expands---and they do leak if there is something else inside. Its a dilema...

I dont know how a cruise line gets around the public health and safety policy.

Frankly--the thought of a diaper in the pool is gross. They fill up like a lead ballon water as the gel expands---and they do leak if there is something else inside. Its a dilema...

I dont know how a cruise line gets around the public health and safety policy.

I can tell you must not be a parent. Diapers made for swimming do not fill up like a lead balloon and I have never had anything leak out. That said I do understand the risk and would never go against the rules. I'm bringing a blow up pool

Vessel Sanitation Program

Operations Manual

August 2005

"diapers 6.4.1.3.1

Children in diapers or who are not toilet trained are not permitted in the public swimming pools and whirlpool spas" (page 51)

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/operationsmanual/OPSManual2005.pdf

This is a US Public health regulation. There are no exceptions for chlorinated pools, disabled children or anything else.

Some people on cruise ships just don't know the rules and may let you break them. That doesn't mean you should.

Some people on cruise ships just don't know the rules and may let you break them. That doesn't mean you should.

That was aimed at me. How is it breaking rules if you are told by trained staff it is ok? I take it chlorination doesn't work on a cruise ship then?:rolleyes:

This is a US Public health regulation. There are no exceptions for chlorinated pools, disabled children or anything else.

FYI, this is the UK I am talking about, not the USA. We're not quite so overprotective overhere it seems and in your link it doesn't make any mention of chlorinated or not or disabled children. It does mention re-circulated water, but there is no mention of chlorination at all with regards to daipered children.

I can tell you must not be a parent. Diapers made for swimming do not fill up like a lead balloon and I have never had anything leak out. That said I do understand the risk and would never go against the rules. I'm bringing a blow up pool

Hi I AM a parent of two boys whose diapers did fill up--the gel got to be a huge mass of seas water

the kids are teens so perhaps new diapers have changed--but we were always shocked at how heavy the diapers got with seawater...

(we live at the beach)

and the diapers --swim diapers and regular--do leak--we have seen it first hand with our kids and with others children.

Hi I AM a parent of two boys whose diapers did fill up--the gel got to be a huge mass of seas water

the kids are teens so perhaps new diapers have changed--but we were always shocked at how heavy the diapers got with seawater...

(we live at the beach)

and the diapers --swim diapers and regular--do leak--we have seen it first hand with our kids and with others children.

Well my son is 2 and in the last couple of years of using swimmys they have never leaked and the gel never gets heavy. I live in FL so beach and pool is a common activity.

Since you children are teens you did not use swimmy diapers. Upon looking up the patent information it was applied for in 1997. It does use parts of patents dated in 1995, 1996, & 1998. Here are two portions of the patent I pulled out: The swim diaper comprising elastic bands carried by the periphery of said torso and leg receiving apertures for ensuring a snug fit, thereby restricting the passage of bacteria into the aqueous environment. The swim diaper will retain less than three (3) ounces of water following complete immersion in water for a period of 10 minutes.

Again I in no way will be going against the ships regulations of no un-potty trained children in the pool. I am just posting this information for educational purposes only. I have no problems using swimmy diapers in land based chlorinated pools.

Yes the gel of regular disposable diapers would become quite heavy.

Hi All,

The norovirus is something to worry about on ships. One of the ways it is spread is by the water in pools.

As the parent of two children I could tell you that those so called water swim diapers work but only to a point. They do get soggy and leak. So all it takes is just a little leak and the ship could have an outbreak. I rather not be selfish and keep my kids out of the pool then have their fecal matter cause a problem for the whole ship.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncldod/dvrd/revb/gastro/norovirus_qa.htm

http://www.medicinenet.com/norovirus_infection/page4.htm

Hi All,

The norovirus is something to worry about on ships. One of the ways it is spread is by the water in pools.

As the parent of two children I could tell you that those so called water swim diapers work but only to a point. They do get soggy and leak. So all it takes is just a little leak and the ship could have an outbreak. I rather not be selfish and keep my kids out of the pool then have their fecal matter cause a problem for the whole ship.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncldod/dvrd/revb/gastro/norovirus_qa.htm

http://www.medicinenet.com/norovirus_infection/page4.htm

I don't think you have a thing to worry about. All the parents on this thread are keeping their children out of the adult pool and are bringing blow up pools unless they are going on one of the few ships with toddler pools.

That was aimed at me. How is it breaking rules if you are told by trained staff it is ok? I take it chlorination doesn't work on a cruise ship then?:rolleyes:

FYI, this is the UK I am talking about, not the USA. We're not quite so overprotective overhere it seems and in your link it doesn't make any mention of chlorinated or not or disabled children. It does mention re-circulated water, but there is no mention of chlorination at all with regards to daipered children.

You're still breaking the rules because it is a public health rule, not a cruise ship rule. And the fact that the regulation doesn't mention chlorination or anything else means that those are not exceptions. No rule lists things that are not exceptions. The rule applies to all ships calling at US ports.

Yes I know that it is a US Federal rule, but the last time I checked Southampton, Liverpool, Edinburgh, Newcastle and Glasgow were in the UK.

I only pointed out the no exception thing because you had posted that there were no exceptions for cholrination, except that wasn't correct.

non pottied trained children should not be in the pool. if something happens then they have to shut down the whole pool. There are public swim parks around here who don't allow non pottied trained kids (ie. kids in diapers, swim or otherwise) because if it leaks then they have to shut down the entire place. and yes it happens and yes i have been there when it does.

Archived