Foo-Foo Drinks Please …….

Candy -

Yes, there were 6 of us who teach middle school together; we start school in July and have a 2 week fall break. It gave us something to look forward to the whole first quarter! I've seen some of my kids out and about since we got home, and they all wanted to know about the cruise. Their first question has been "Did you get sick?" They seem to think that would have been a cool thing.. :)

The Kiss on the Lips is not strong at all, but I love how it tasted. The Funship Special was good, too, but much stronger.

My review is posted now; warning: I tend to ramble, but I think I got the most important info there. There are other "practical" tips that were helpful to me if you have any questions about things like that.

Jane

I read your review, thank you so much. You said - "The "rockiest" part of the cruise was on the Mississippi, maybe 7-8 hours". My first question as well is - "Did you get sick?" What preparation did you have for seasickness? And may I ask where you found your travelon toiletry bag?

Also, when the porter said you were too early and to go to Riverwalk, how did you handle that? Reading your review, my understanding is that you went directly to check in, and that's what I would have done. Now my husband is a different story, he would have said "the porter said we're too early, let's go for a walk, and come back in an hour"! Any other time, my answer would be "you go for a walk, I'm checking in", but I would not want our vacation to start off the wrong foot!

Thank you so much for your time, and any other input from anyone is appreciated.

I read your review, thank you so much. You said - "The "rockiest" part of the cruise was on the Mississippi, maybe 7-8 hours". My first question as well is - "Did you get sick?" What preparation did you have for seasickness? And may I ask where you found your travelon toiletry bag?

Also, when the porter said you were too early and to go to Riverwalk, how did you handle that? Reading your review, my understanding is that you went directly to check in, and that's what I would have done. Now my husband is a different story, he would have said "the porter said we're too early, let's go for a walk, and come back in an hour"! Any other time, my answer would be "you go for a walk, I'm checking in", but I would not want our vacation to start off the wrong foot!

Thank you so much for your time, and any other input from anyone is appreciated.

Candy,

Okay - about the rocky part. The Mississippi was definitely the rockiest, both coming and going. Between the 6 of us, we had several different remedies. I just took ginger pills - more precautionary than because I felt bad. I think I took 2 the whole trip. One of us took Bonine and said it really helped her. The one who gets sick riding a school bus got her dr to get her a patch she wore behind her ear - I think it is called scopalamine. She forgot to change it one day and promptly lost her breakfast; when she kept it on like she was supposed to, she did just fine. I saw people with the bands you wear around your wrist and they said they helped them. (Note: I got "sea legs" once we were home; the dizziest I felt was on Sunday and Monday! I actually took my bonine then, and never took it while on the cruise.) The last night, we were at our 8:00 dinner and could feel the difference in how the ship moved when we entered the Mississippi, it's that noticable.

Of all my pre-cruise purchases, my travelon bag was definitely one of the best. I got it from ebags dot com; just type in "travelon" in the search bar. I got the "independence bag" - 4 of us got them and the others were jealous! It hold absolutely everything - and it holds original sizes, so I didn't have to mess with purchasing travel sizes. It just unzips, folds out, and voila, everything is right there. I hung it on the back of the bathroom door, but it has a strap where you could hang it from a towel rack also. I'm giving some as Christmas gifts!

Another good purchase was a Heyes cross-body bag. I mostly used it for boarding/debarkation/excursions. It leaves your hands free and everything is secure right next to your body. It even has a place that unzips to hold a bottle of water or soda. 2 of us got the same thing in travelon brand, and theirs were getting spots all over them, so they weren't as happy; the 2 of us who got the Heyes brand were very satisfied. Also got a passport holder from travelon; it held all boarding docs in a lightweight container, hangs around your neck. Has a nice hidden zipper in the back for cash. I used this on the ship as well; I kept my sign and sail card, soda card, and room key in it.

Yep - you read right. The porter who took our checked luggage right out of the van for us said we were too early. Of course, we didn't listen, 'cause we could see lots of other people already going into the check in area. We were probably 25-30 people back in line at that point; waited maybe 10 minutes or so. They take you directly from check in to getting a cheesy embarkation photo; when we were doing that, we could see the line was going all the way out the door! Oh - make sure you complete your fun pass info online ahead of time; that saved quite a bit of time. Some people hadn't done that and were taking much longer to process. I know what you mean about the hubby - mine would have said the same thing - listen to the porter and go to the Riverwalk. I just know if we had done that, we'd have been in line a LONG TIME and that always makes me grumpy (I'm not very patient!) Also, if you can possibly do self debarkation, that will help a lot. We thought it would be easier to let "them" handle our bags, but we wound up waiting forever it seemed, and had to pick up all of our luggage as soon as we got off the ship, and lug it through the very long lines to customs.

*Several of us bought a Carnival bag from the Galleria shop on the ship; it was $12.99 I think; we used it to put our dirty clothes in. That freed up luggage space for souveniers we bought. It was much easier when we got home - all of our dirty clothes were in one spot. It's a blue bag with a mesh lining - top zipper. (As you can tell, I'm a sucker for a good bag!:D

I hope this helps! I know how much this site helped me prepare for our first cruise - and since I'm still on here every day, I obviously have got "cruise fever" - I'm shopping for another!

My vote is for a kiss on the lips [[yummy]]! Almost looks too good to drink!!!

I am counting down the days until I have my next one - 31 days!

[[Me with a mouth full of my favorite drink of all time ... kiss on the lip]]

Taken on my 21st birthday!!

21stBirthdayCruise105.jpg

Hey Candy, a good time to get to the terminal is around 11:30am. It's not as crowded yet and you should be on board by noonish. As far as sea sickness, Bonine works and also anything with Ginger in it.

goLC said they were at the terminal 11:00, and the porter told them they were too early, but 11:00 sounds like the perfect time to go. I will try to be there no later than 11:30 for sure. My DH and I were thinking about celebrating New Year's eve in NOLA for pre-cruise. But when I called to make reservations for accommodations, the rates were outrageous. I didn't realize that it's going to be Superbowl week. So, we may just drive in on the day before the cruise, we'll be able to afford 1 night, but not 3 nights with those rates.

Candy,

Okay - about the rocky part. The Mississippi was definitely the rockiest, both coming and going. The last night, we were at our 8:00 dinner and could feel the difference in how the ship moved when we entered the Mississippi, it's that noticable.

Of all my pre-cruise purchases, my travelon bag was definitely one of the best. I got it from ebags dot com; just type in "travelon" in the search bar. I got the "independence bag".

Another good purchase was a Heyes cross-body bag. I mostly used it for boarding/debarkation/excursions. It leaves your hands free and everything is secure right next to your body. It even has a place that unzips to hold a bottle of water or soda. 2 of us got the same thing in travelon brand, and theirs were getting spots all over them, so they weren't as happy; the 2 of us who got the Heyes brand were very satisfied.

Yep - you read right. The porter who took our checked luggage right out of the van for us said we were too early. I just know if we had done that, we'd have been in line a LONG TIME and that always makes me grumpy (I'm not very patient!)

Thanks for all these great tips, and thank you so much for that wonderful review. I found the Travelon toiletry bag, got it ordered from ebags. I can’t find the Heyes cross-body bag on the internet, I found the Travelon, but I'd like to find the Heyes. Where did you find yours?

Regarding the “rocky part” in MS, is it always that way, or just depends on the weather:confused: ?

Thanks for your time, and any other input from anyone is greatly appreciated :) .

Candy,

It would have helped if I had spelled it correctly! :o It is Heys - only 1 "e." It's called the Heys travelmate and I ordered it from ebags also. You will love the travelon bag and the Heys - I still haven't changed from my Heys bag to a regular purse and I've been home several days now!

About the Mississippi, I have no idea - that was my first and only time on it. It was bumpy coming and going, though. As a science teacher, I assume it has something to do with it being fresh water vs. the salt water of the gulf. The weather was fine, so I don't think that affected it. I think it's just rougher than the open sea, but don't get me wrong; it's tolerable and anyone who knew what to expect probably wouldn't have been surprised by it like I was. But I never got sick or anything - just had to watch my step! But it wasn't rough enough to knock things off of the tables or anything. Hope you enjoy your bags!

Jane

Candy,

It would have helped if I had spelled it correctly! :o It is Heys - only 1 "e." About the Mississippi, I have no idea - that was my first and only time on it. It was bumpy coming and going, though. As a science teacher, I assume it has something to do with it being fresh water vs. the salt water of the gulf. The weather was fine, so I don't think that affected it. I think it's just rougher than the open sea, but don't get me wrong; it's tolerable and anyone who knew what to expect probably wouldn't have been surprised by it like I was.

Jane

lol Now I found the Heys travelmate too. Thanks for that! Althought I read reviews on the travelon toiletry, and some of them said that it has a very strong horrible odor? Did you have that experience with yours?

Regarding the MS rocky water, you're right, as long as a person knows what to expect, and also to prepare for it, then it should be okay.

If you think you may get seasick, go to your doctor and get the seasick patch. It really works. You will not enjoy a 'Kiss on the Lips' or anything else if you get seasick. Seasickness will ruin a cruise. Have fun and have a drink or two for the teachers who have to wait until Spring Break to cruise again.:(

I had no weird odors in my travelon bag; most of us had one and no one said anything about it at all. We ALL loved them! In fact, one of us who didn't have one has already ordered one for herself.

Thanks for the "have a drink for the teachers":D We may have an even larger group next time! Don't know if we can swing the spring break prices though - I've been looking and it's quite a bit more for the same trip, so we may just have to make it an annual fall event. I'm trying to talk DH into a family trip this summer, but our summer revolves around my son playing basketball - he won't miss it for anything! But I don't think I can wait until next fall, either - time to put on my thinking cap and work up my most persuasive arguments!

I love the Miami Vice one, it seems to be the one that's usually offered as the "sailaway" drink. I generally have ONE foo-foo per day, because of meds I can't have anymore, on Mardi Gras night (aboard the Conquest) I had the stupid coconut head one, which was good, but I had purchased so many souveniers (grandkids and kid requests) that I couldn't fit the head in my luggage....so left it at my friend's house in Bolivar...which is too bad since it's a bank and I wanted to give it to one of my grandchildren. Oh well, it was festive!

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the SPA orange mousse cake. It is simply to die for, very moist, very tasty and especially light after a heavy meal. I always let my head waiter know that I want a slice of it....on our first night....and since they always have it on the dessert buffet it's always available. I usually have one melting cake, in addition, once just because I can! LOL

We aren't beer drinkers so can't help there, sorry.

Oh I forgot the coconut head! We were so obviously first timers - we bought everything! Those coconut heads do take up a lot of room, but I made it one of my DH gifts-I-bought-home... I bought 1 or 2 foo foo drinks per day. I know it's cheaper to get it refilled, but I kept leaving it in the room and just wound up getting another in the souvenir glass - so I came home with SEVERAL glasses! It looks like I was a real lush - but the only time I ever felt even a little bit of a buzz was on the Funship Special I think it was called - the sail away drink. It packed a punch! This may sound lame, but the Kiss on the Lips tastes just like the Peach Slushie from Sonic, which I love.

The Miss. river has very strong currents which can lead to the ship rocking a little even in nice weather. It's not going to be something big that will knock you off your feet though. For our cruise in a couple weeks, we are planning to get to the terminal for 11am also. Oh and about New Year's, It's not the Super Bowl, but the college bowl games that will be going on in the Superdome.

By far my favourite drink is the "dirty Banana" a banana liqure with kaluha yummmm, my dd loves "sex on the Beach" DH drinks Smirnoff ice so cant help you with the beer question sorry.

the dirty banana is awesome... first time I ordered it, I asked the waiter what was in it and he wasn't quite sure, said he'd ask...

Well, he came back a few minutes later, told me he asked the bartender and the bartender told him he mashes a banana, then throws it into a dirty glass:p

I thought that was pretty funny. It only took one and I was hooked... kinda like cruising itself...

Oh I forgot the coconut head! We were so obviously first timers - we bought everything! Those coconut heads do take up a lot of room, but I made it one of my DH gifts-I-bought-home... I bought 1 or 2 foo foo drinks per day.

This may sound lame, but the Kiss on the Lips tastes just like the Peach Slushie from Sonic, which I love.

Maybe if I have enough to drink then I won't be able to tell if I'm getting seasick! I think I will definitely try "Miami Vice", "Dirty Banana", I was actually sold on the "Kiss on the Lips", but I have tried the Peach Slushie from Sonic, and don't like it. What is the "coconut head"? Is it like pina colada?

Candy - If you don't like Sonic's peach slushie, you probably wouldn't like the Kiss on the Lips. It's like that, with strawberry mixed in.

The coconut head.... you can get any drink you want IN it. It's an actual coconut - a pretty big one, too - that has been carved out to hold a plastic cup. The head (scalp) comes off and you can use it as a bank. It's just a goofy souvenier I guess, but mine has such a cute face carved on it and it says "Have Fun"... makes me want to put $ in it for next cruise!

Candy - If you don't like Sonic's peach slushie, you probably wouldn't like the Kiss on the Lips. It's like that, with strawberry mixed in.

The coconut head.... you can get any drink you want IN it. It's an actual coconut - a pretty big one, too - that has been carved out to hold a plastic cup. The head (scalp) comes off and you can use it as a bank. It's just a goofy souvenier I guess, but mine has such a cute face carved on it and it says "Have Fun"... makes me want to put $ in it for next cruise!

Oh i see, i thought it was a drink! So I could order a kiss on the lips on the coconut head!:) How fat is the head :o ? Someone said it would not fit in her suitcase!

I just went and measured it, Candy - approximately 8 inches across, 8 inches tall, almost 9 inches deep. I'm not domestic enough to have a cloth measuring tape:confused: but that gives you an idea. It's bigger than a softball by quite a bit, but not nearly as big as a basketball. Once I purchased the $12 mesh-lined bag on the ship to stuff all my dirty clothes in for the trip home, I had enough room in my luggage for it (plus the other stuff I was compelled to buy... mexican blankets - yes, plural - oops!) When I just measured it, I noticed SOMEONE has been putting $$ in it besides me.... hope that's a good sign from a reluctant husband!

I just went and measured it, Candy - approximately 8 inches across, 8 inches tall, almost 9 inches deep. I'm not domestic enough to have a cloth measuring tape:confused: but that gives you an idea. It's bigger than a softball by quite a bit, but not nearly as big as a basketball. Once I purchased the $12 mesh-lined bag on the ship to stuff all my dirty clothes in for the trip home, I had enough room in my luggage for it (plus the other stuff I was compelled to buy... mexican blankets - yes, plural - oops!) When I just measured it, I noticed SOMEONE has been putting $$ in it besides me.... hope that's a good sign from a reluctant husband!

I got my tape measure out, so that gives me a pretty good idea. I definitely have to get me a coconut head. And maybe, just maybe, my "cruise fairy" will put some $$ in mine too ;) .

Archived