Verizone cell phone

Mathteach

I have looked at a lot of plans and I think that Verizon One Rate plan gives the most coverage in Alaska with no roaming.

We signed up for this plan, it is $55 a month with only 400 anytime minutes but if there is any phone service we will be able to use it with out paying any roaming. The map makes it look like we will have service in most of the cities and ports we will be in. The only time I think we will not be able to use the phone is when we are crusing in the ocean. After we get back from Alaska we will switch to a cheaper plan with free nights and weekends. icon_smile.gif

Plus we got a free picture phone to send pictures to our kids back home icon_biggrin.gif

Has anyone used this plan in Alaska?

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;6;23;6;0;00&timezone=GMT-1000

until we start our Alaska Adventure!

We were on the Star Princess in Alaska in 2002. We had Sprint and it didn't work. Our friends had verizon and it worked the entire cruise. It was necessary sometimes to go to the upper decks.

Sapphire Princess PreInaugural

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;6;11;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Sapphire Princess Inaugural

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;6;13;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

for pamwinn and any other verizon cruisers - when you say the verizon phone service worked the entire cruise do you mean all ports and while you were at sea? what ports were you at?

I have Verizon service and could only use the phone in Fairbanks, Anchorage and Juneau with extremely spotty service in Ketchikan. It will revert to analog service once you are on open water and you have no service. We bought a calling card and called home from the ports.

Verizon will charge 69 cents per minute from Alaska regardless of your plan. I accessed my bill today ( we returned yesterday ).

PharmacyRx

We got back a few weeks ago and were only able to get service in Juneau and Ketchikan with Verizon. Tried for a long time in Skagway but couldn't get any service.

Diamond Princess 05/04 - Alaska

NCL Star 09/03 - Hawaii

PharmacyRx

With the plan we have we should not get charged any roaming fees. The regular service only covers the cities you mentioned but the 'One Rate' gives expanded area. I looked at the coverage maps on their web site. Also the phone we got is a 'tri system phone' which is suppose to get analog service.

We are bringing a phone card along just in case. Also they told us to do *228 option 2 to update our phones to any new towers.

Pamwinn

Did your friends phone work when you were at sea? Also do you know what plan they had?

I will let everyone know when we get back how well the phone worked.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;6;23;6;0;00&timezone=GMT-1000

Sorry for the double post - did not know what I was doing. icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mathteach:

PharmacyRx

With the plan we have we should not get charged any roaming fees. The regular service only covers the cities you mentioned but the 'One Rate' gives expanded area. I looked at the coverage maps on their web site. Also the phone we got is a 'tri system phone' which is suppose to get analog service.

We are bringing a phone card along just in case. Also they told us to do *228 option 2 to update our phones to any new towers.

Pamwinn

Did your friends phone work when you were at sea? Also do you know what plan they had?

I will let everyone know when we get back how well the phone worked.

http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;6;23;6;0;00&timezone=GMT-1000

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Our plan states that we can call other Verizon customers at any time with no charge - has anyone tried this? We're going to take a phone card just in case, but we're hoping that we can call to our kids' cell phones without any charges...

If you go to Verizon.com you will be able to see maps of the different coverage areas.

Ihall85917

Sounds like you have "Americas Choice" (The "Are you IN?" commercial) My understanding of this plan is you can call any Verizon customer that has the same plan ($39.99 and above)and not use up any minutes. You will still have to pay roaming and if the person you are calling is a Verizon customer on a cheaper plan then while your minutes are free the person you calling will be using minutes.

For example, 2 of my college daughters have Verizon and are paying $34.99 a month. If I got the $39.99 a month plan I would not use any of MY minutes up when I called them on their cell phone BUT they would be using up THEIR minutes even thought I Called them!

New Cruiser1

Which national plan did you have? The above "Americas Choice' (Are you in? commercial) is a national plan but does not have the same coverage as the 'National Single Rate' plan. I know that we will have to pay for the pictures either 25 cents each or I think we can send unlimited for $3 a month. This is the only time we plan on sending pictures. I know they are also not very good - but I think it will be fun! icon_cool.gif

• 3 months later...

I used my Verizon phone in Anchorage, Juneau, Fairbanks and Ketchikan. I was charged roaming charges in each town even though I was told I would not be by the representative I called before we left home. I also updated my phone by using *228. My phone also showed that I was not roaming in those towns. I could not get the company to take off the charges. I was very careful to check my phone to see if I was roaming before I used it as we had a phone card we used when roaming. The rep said that sometimes if you move around while using the phone it changes to roaming!!

Archived