Hang-gliding, Para-gliding (not para-sailing) in San Diego

skittl1321

My husband would really like to do something Adventurous on this vacation, and well that's not my thing, so I told him that I'd look into some sort of jump off a cliff and fly activity for me, and we could do it the day we get back from the cruise if he has a)energy and b)money left.

Does anyone know of any place other than http://www.flytorrey.com/ where you can paraglide or hang glide in SD? What about reviews of the site I linked (the only place i've found- they don't take reservations for tandem flights, so it does help the spur of the moment plans a bit, but I do want it to be safe).

I'm not interested in doing this in any of the ports- as I don't want to have to take out special extreme sports insurance while out of the states, so only places in or very near San Diego (we will have a rental car.)

Also- do you recommend hang gliding or para gliding? (To me hang gliding looks cooler, but I have no idea- and wouldn't do either)

We have friends who live in San Diego take us up to the Torrey Pines Glider Park in La Jolla this past August. I went paragliding - it was great fun. 1/2 an hour for $140 cash or $150 credit card. You sign and initial your rights away - if anything goes wrong it is your fault.

I loved it! My DH said it looked like I was stepping off a cliff, but it sure didn't seem that way to me. The views were spectacular and the landing was so smooth. I would recommend it.

I don't know of any other place to do this in the area. The cliffs at La Jolla produce great updrafts that are needed to launch.

There is only one choice of contraption - it is a superwide parachute with a tandem harness. They call it paragliding.

Hope this helps.

What have you got against Torrey Pines?

It is a beautiful and well run facility, with an excellent safety record. It is about 5 minutes from where I work, and I often go by to watch the gliders, hang gliders and paragliders fly after work. I can strongly recommend their tandem program as noted above...while I have not done it personally, I know many people who have, and they have all had a blast. Rarely would reservations be needed though...I have never seen anyone wait more than 30 minutes for a flight.

What have you got against Torrey Pines?

It is a beautiful and well run facility, with an excellent safety record. It is about 5 minutes from where I work, and I often go by to watch the gliders, hang gliders and paragliders fly after work. I can strongly recommend their tandem program as noted above...while I have not done it personally, I know many people who have, and they have all had a blast. Rarely would reservations be needed though...I have never seen anyone wait more than 30 minutes for a flight.

I have nothing at all against them- merely that I already found them and was wondering if there were any other options around to check out as well.

It appears that this is the place to go though. Their website says they do not take reservations, so it seems to be an excellent choice for a trip that we aren't sure if we'll end up doing or not.

I'm glad to hear you have gone to watch- do they have an observation area? As i'd not be flying, only my husband.

Archived