Take revealed books with me?

suzy5555

How often did you refer to your Revealed books while in Hawaii? I purchased 4 of the island books, entertainment coupon book, plus my notebook of reservations, notes, directions, phone #'s. Getting really heavy. Also still trying to decide if I am taking my laptop or not. I'm afraid that if I leave them behind, I will want to reference. (I'm a research maniac) We are renting cars at every port and doing things on our own. I plan to pick up brochures, coupon booklets at the airport also. Thank goodness for suitcases with wheels. :) I want to be prepared, not bogged down.

Suzy,

We're on PoAm 10/20, and I'm taking mine. They'll go in checked luggage to get there. We plan to explore on our own and have rental cars at each stop, and will take the appropriate book off with us.

If you're sailing after I am, I'd be happy to let you know if they were used, or just excess baggage.

Suzy

Take them ... I pulled mine out half a dozen times on each island to reconfirm something, look at a map, find a good place to eat, get a phone number, whatever. Obviously just carry around the one edition which corresponds to the island you're on at the time :D

I put them in my carry-on because it's a 10+ hour flight and it made for good reading.

I'd definitely bring them with you- they're worth the extra weight. We just kept them in our stateroom and read them the night before we were in each port. Depending on what we were doing, we brought them with (like the Road to Hana, especially) or just left them in our room. They're good for a refresher course on what you're seeing!

We're taking ours. We will take them in our carry on's, this will save the weight in the checked bags. Plus as another poster said makes for good reading on the flight from the east coast to Hawaii!

I just rip out the pages that I need and staple them. Into my vacation binder they go! :)

Of course, I just have a Hawaii Let's Go book (not Revealed) so I'm taking the pages on each port town, any activity or company we're using, etc.

I travelled Europe some time ago and those books are just too darn heavy to lug around. I'm all about light luggage = happiness.

There are a lot of pages you most likely will not use.

Just my .02!

• Administrators
How often did you refer to your Revealed books while in Hawaii? I purchased 4 of the island books, entertainment coupon book, plus my notebook of reservations, notes, directions, phone #'s. Getting really heavy. Also still trying to decide if I am taking my laptop or not. I'm afraid that if I leave them behind, I will want to reference. (I'm a research maniac) We are renting cars at every port and doing things on our own. I plan to pick up brochures, coupon booklets at the airport also. Thank goodness for suitcases with wheels. :) I want to be prepared, not bogged down.

For a recent thread on taking books to Hawaii, and info on how much they weigh (courtesy of yours truly and the nice skycap at the Atlanta airport ;) ) -- check this link -- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=631432&highlight=books

Thank you. I saw that link but didn't read it before. Didn't know it was basically same subject. Eight (8) pounds - gotta tough it out. I really think I will need them if game plan "A" doesn't work out and I need to look into plan "B". We have a two day pre-stay in Oahu and I planned to use my carryon to pack the stuff for Oahu only. That way I don't even have to open my larger cruise bag. I'll put the books in there. It has wheels so hopefully no big deal. DH can lift it to put it in overhead bin;) .

We used our also...guess you are getting the picture...especially follow the Volcano National Park "suggested trip" as a guide......even do the trip "backwards" is fine.

I copied all the really relevant pages and stapled them....put them and relevant local maps copied from the book into "areas" and put all in an expandable manila folder. These were easier to use than the book....but still say the books might be great. We just didn't need all the hotel/dining/ etc. info. Oh also, paper clip the beginning of important sections so you know where to start...yep post it notes are great!

All of us seem to be a bit research-aholics!

Lou

We are taking the Oahu guide, as we are spending 4 nights on that Island. For the other islands, we are tearing out relevant pages and taping them into a Delorme Hawaii Atlas/Mapbook.

You should look into getting the Go Oahu card. It offers tons of stuff for free once you buy the card. I found them on Costco.com for $89 for 3 days.

We got the books from the library and I copied just the maps and pages we were interested in or would need. I made neat little books with our binding machine at work so the pages will be easy to read and flip over easily when needed.

I plan to take them along with other books and maps we got from AAA.:D

I bought all of the books to do my research and then only took the Oahu and Big Island books since we rented cars on those islands. We had specific plans (excursions) for Maui, so I didn't bring it. I also put them in my carryon. I had enough trouble keeping my checked bag under 50 lbs without putting 8 pounds of books in it!

On my return trip, I knew I had to cut down the baggage weight again due to other items purchased, so I left the Revealed books in the Library on the Zaandam. Hopefully someone else will have the benefit of them.

Bonnie

Archived