P&o Short Tours - The Best Port Vila Tours...

LuckiePuris

Hi, I have found a descriptive list of all the P&O Tours available on offer for Port Vila.

I am wanting to book my tours with P&O before the cruise, so I don’t miss out.

I’m not really sure what would be the best way to spend our day in Port Vila.

We are two women, so I don’t really want to do the fishing or golfing tour!

Are there are tours that you guys thought were excellent and would recommend we do?

I’m not too fussed about cost of tour.

Thanks heaps for all your help!!

Hi and welcome to CC :D

I can recommend the Cascades Tour. It's a walking tour, but it's worth it! You go through rainforest and into pools of water all the way up to a gorgeous waterfall and rock pools :) You get a guide to tell you what's what etc, and at the end they take you to their village for a BBQ. I think it's a must see when visiting Vila :)

Not too sure what P&O are charging these days. I think it's around $60??

I've done it twice with P&O and once under my own steam when there on a holiday :D

Hi, I have found a descriptive list of all the P&O Tours available on offer for Port Vila.

Are there are tours that you guys thought were excellent and would recommend we do?

Hello there!

The Ekasup Village Cultural tour is good & can be done in the morning, leaving you free to shop or enjoy one of the numerous fabulous eating spots, in the afternoon.

Also the Mele Cascades are beautiful, especially on a warm day. You could do a morning tour to there as well. It is cheaper to catch a local bus & a lot more fun! (300 vt...probably $6 one way & 1000vt or around $12 entry) & to ask the driver to return at a designated time for your return. You'd only need about 1 &1/2 to 2 hrs there & it's only about 1/2hr to get there from town.

Have fun!

Hi- I was in Vila 2 weeks ago and my family loved the jet boating adventure. We then went snorkelling on hideaway island which I loved- but this was not organised through P&O.

Don't forget to plan a little time for a bit of shopping!

I'm sure you will have a ball!

Hello there!

The Ekasup Village Cultural tour is good & can be done in the morning, leaving you free to shop or enjoy one of the numerous fabulous eating spots, in the afternoon.

Also the Mele Cascades are beautiful, especially on a warm day. You could do a morning tour to there as well. It is cheaper to catch a local bus & a lot more fun! (300 vt...probably $6 one way & 1000vt or around $12 entry) & to ask the driver to return at a designated time for your return. You'd only need about 1 &1/2 to 2 hrs there & it's only about 1/2hr to get there from town.

Have fun!

Nerissa, was only thinking bout you today:) are you back from your land based vila trip??

Chez

xx

Hi I haven't been yet but I've booked Mele Falls but not thru P.O

Contact Evergreen WEB http://www.evergreen.com.vu or E.mail:evergreen@vanuatu.com.vu

Cheaper than P.O. Ask about option 3

Any more question let me know

Cheers:D

Hi, is it safe to go in Vila without a P&O Tour? I'm just asking as we are two girls/in our twenties.

Also, can P&O organise a group/tour for shopping in the Duty Free stores? I cant find any tours that include Duty Free shopping.

Thanks for all your help fellow cruisers!!

Hi,

you don't need a tour to do the duty free shops. There are only a few of them and they are in the main street. Just get the bus ($2 each) or a taxi ($10) into town and look around.

For alcohol and cigarettes go to the little one on th corner (opposite Downtown Duty Free). They have Johnny Walker 1lt for $14. Bourbon for $12.50. Cigarettes are $24-26.50 a carton.

A few people on the ship did the around island tour and complained that all they did was sit on the bus all day driving past places. Lunch was a sandwich and water. They said it cost $115 (can't find my brochure).

A lot of the tours get booked out. You can wander down to the park in town (after you get off the shuttle bus). It's one street back from the main street (on the water). They have tour stands there which are cheaper than the ship. But still expensive I think (the ones I asked about anyway).

Hi I haven't been yet but I've booked Mele Falls but not thru P.O

Contact Evergreen WEB http://www.evergreen.com.vu or E.mail:evergreen@vanuatu.com.vu

Cheaper than P.O. Ask about option 3

Any more question let me know

Cheers:D

:D Hi girls try http://www.vanuatu.tv

They quite a few tours in Villa on it also show some of them

Cheers hope it helps

A few people on the ship did the around island tour and complained that all they did was sit on the bus all day driving past places. Lunch was a sandwich and water. They said it cost $115 (can't find my brochure). quote]

Has anybody else done the Round Island Tour to provide any further information on this. If you could provide any information and thoughts on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

A few people on the ship did the around island tour and complained that all they did was sit on the bus all day driving past places. Lunch was a sandwich and water. They said it cost $115 (can't find my brochure). quote]

Has anybody else done the Round Island Tour to provide any further information on this. If you could provide any information and thoughts on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I did this tour when I was there on a land based holiday last year. It was great to see all the villages and sights, but it is a very long time to sit in a mini van going over very bumpy roads. If you wanted to fit more than just that tour into your day it's probably not the tour for you. Our tour obviously wasn't through P&O but i'm pretty sure they're all the same ;) We stopped at one of the villages and they gave us a lovely cooked lunch. Chicken, rice, potatoes, etc. It was really nice!:) We also got into canoes and were paddled up the lagoon to another village where they gave us even more food! It was a great day out, but just a little long.

I did an around island tour booked through P&O. Yes, alot of time was spent in the mini bus but it was clean and comfortable and the roads weren't that bumpy-no where near as bumpy as some roads in rural Australia! We stopped at several different spots around the island including an area where there were a few army relicds from the war and could see where Survivor was filmed. We stopped at a niced spot for lunch where some locals sang and played music-lunch was a lunch box which included rolls, cake, fruit and water-this was plenty. We also stopped at a small village where a man walked on hot stones-not the fire walking I was expecting. We stopped by a beach and could have swam if we wanted to but it was too cold. We drove through many small villages-all the locals waved as we drove past. At the end of the tour we were taken to the duty free shops and then driven back to the boat. Although it was a long day, we got to drive around the entire island and saw lots.

aliflem

I did an around island tour booked through P&O. Yes, alot of time was spent in the mini bus but it was clean and comfortable and the roads weren't that bumpy-no where near as bumpy as some roads in rural Australia! We stopped at several different spots around the island including an area where there were a few army relicds from the war and could see where Survivor was filmed. We stopped at a niced spot for lunch where some locals sang and played music-lunch was a lunch box which included rolls, cake, fruit and water-this was plenty. We also stopped at a small village where a man walked on hot stones-not the fire walking I was expecting. We stopped by a beach and could have swam if we wanted to but it was too cold. We drove through many small villages-all the locals waved as we drove past. At the end of the tour we were taken to the duty free shops and then driven back to the boat. Although it was a long day, we got to drive around the entire island and saw lots.

aliflem

Hi, this sounds like the perfect tour i was after! see Vila and duty free shopping!

where abouts did u go duty free shopping? what could you purchase? how much time did u get for duty free shopping?

what was this tour called? how much did it cost?

thanks heaps!!!

Hi, this sounds like the perfect tour i was after! see Vila and duty free shopping!

where abouts did u go duty free shopping? what could you purchase? how much time did u get for duty free shopping?

what was this tour called? how much did it cost?

thanks heaps!!!

Not quite a short tour, pretty much all day. Sounds like this one - Round Island Safari: http://www.princess.com.au/html/shore-tour-information.cfm?tourID=VLI-E

We are doing a similar one - Village Circle (with the canoe ride - I think this is the one msminx did): http://www.princess.com.au/html/shore-tour-information.cfm?tourID=VLI-R

Some nice Vila tour info on this site, and you can request a DVD - http://www.rocket-guide-vanuatu.com/tours.html

Princess personaliser is currrently down, so I don't have prices. You should be able to find when you log into yours.

Cheers

Geoff

PS: How's the spelling Karon? ;)

I did this tour when I was there on a land based holiday last year. It was great to see all the villages and sights, but it is a very long time to sit in a mini van going over very bumpy roads. If you wanted to fit more than just that tour into your day it's probably not the tour for you. Our tour obviously wasn't through P&O but i'm pretty sure they're all the same ;) We stopped at one of the villages and they gave us a lovely cooked lunch. Chicken, rice, potatoes, etc. It was really nice!:) We also got into canoes and were paddled up the lagoon to another village where they gave us even more food! It was a great day out, but just a little long.

Hi MsMinx,

Did you by any chance do the tour with the canoes?

Did you have time to go duty free shopping?

Thanks for all your help and Happy Cruising!!

Hi MsMinx,

Did you by any chance do the tour with the canoes?

Did you have time to go duty free shopping?

Thanks for all your help and Happy Cruising!!

Hi.

I wasn't there on a cruise when I did that tour, so it wasn't the one P&O are offering. We booked it through a little agent near the Iririki Wharf.

It was very similar to the one P&O offer. We met in town, went driving out to a gorgeous little beach where we had morning tea. This was just some biscuits and cordial :rolleyes: After that we drove past some villages etc. Whenever there was something of interest the guide would stop the van and we'd all get out and he'd give us a little lesson on whatever it was we'd stopped to see (certain plants & trees etc).

Then we stopped at a tiny village where we were met by the canoes. We were paddled up the water for about 20 mins to another little village where the chief met us and then the village men did a few dances for us. That's where we had our next little snack. It was yams prepared the Vanuatu way. I must say it looked exactly like vomit - but it tasted sensational!! There were wooden artefacts for sale but we didn't buy any, knowing how strict customs are :( We did put a couple of dollars in their donation tin though.

After that, our car was waiting for us (the driver didn't come on the canoes) and we were back in it and off to our next destination. More stops along the way for some lessons on Vanuatu life, and we were at a larger village. It had the most gorgeous bay! Could have stayed for hours!! They cooked up a big lunch for us. Chicken, rice, potatoes, yams, bread etc. It was really tasty! I even met the village cat and shared my chicken bones with it LOL. If there's a cat within a mile, i'll find it and pat it haha! After lunch our guide gave a presentation on how coconuts are used - very interesting! Not one single part of the coconut goes to waste!!

Back in the van after that and off to the island opposite the one where Survivor Vanuatu was filmed. This is the part of the island where the film crew had stayed. We didnt' actually get to see the island they were on. They had some markets set up here for those wanting to purchase nick nacks.

Next stop was a little roadside market where you can get shells, wood carvings, etc, etc, and they also had a little area set up where you can have a look at some baby turtles that they keep :) Very cute!!! Again, there's a donation box for the 'turtles'.

We were meant to take a rainforrest walk on this trip but while we were there, there was a cyclone off the coast of the main island, which meant that it kept raining and was kind of cold, so the rainforrest walk got ditched :(

Then there was about an hour's drive back to the main road of Vila. We literally went round the whole island! They only have 1 main road. It's in very bad repair with massive potholes etc. The van we were in was very old and had no suspension or air con so by the end of the day we were sore! I'd say that P&O book the best vans for these trips or people just wouldn't pay that kind of money!

All up I think we spent about 6 hours on this trip! It was a HUGE day!! I don't know if the P&O tour would be this long.

They usually dock in Vila around 8am and leave at about 6pm, so there's plenty of time to do a tour or 2 and plenty of shopping too. Hope that helps anyone looking to do the round island tour :D

Hi.

I wasn't there on a cruise when I did that tour, so it wasn't the one P&O are offering. We booked it through a little agent near the Iririki Wharf.

It was very similar to the one P&O offer. We met in town, went driving out to a gorgeous little beach where we had morning tea. This was just some biscuits and cordial :rolleyes: After that we drove past some villages etc. Whenever there was something of interest the guide would stop the van and we'd all get out and he'd give us a little lesson on whatever it was we'd stopped to see (certain plants & trees etc).

Then we stopped at a tiny village where we were met by the canoes. We were paddled up the water for about 20 mins to another little village where the chief met us and then the village men did a few dances for us. That's where we had our next little snack. It was yams prepared the Vanuatu way. I must say it looked exactly like vomit - but it tasted sensational!! There were wooden artefacts for sale but we didn't buy any, knowing how strict customs are :( We did put a couple of dollars in their donation tin though.

After that, our car was waiting for us (the driver didn't come on the canoes) and we were back in it and off to our next destination. More stops along the way for some lessons on Vanuatu life, and we were at a larger village. It had the most gorgeous bay! Could have stayed for hours!! They cooked up a big lunch for us. Chicken, rice, potatoes, yams, bread etc. It was really tasty! I even met the village cat and shared my chicken bones with it LOL. If there's a cat within a mile, i'll find it and pat it haha! After lunch our guide gave a presentation on how coconuts are used - very interesting! Not one single part of the coconut goes to waste!!

Back in the van after that and off to the island opposite the one where Survivor Vanuatu was filmed. This is the part of the island where the film crew had stayed. We didnt' actually get to see the island they were on. They had some markets set up here for those wanting to purchase nick nacks.

Next stop was a little roadside market where you can get shells, wood carvings, etc, etc, and they also had a little area set up where you can have a look at some baby turtles that they keep :) Very cute!!! Again, there's a donation box for the 'turtles'.

We were meant to take a rainforrest walk on this trip but while we were there, there was a cyclone off the coast of the main island, which meant that it kept raining and was kind of cold, so the rainforrest walk got ditched :(

Then there was about an hour's drive back to the main road of Vila. We literally went round the whole island! They only have 1 main road. It's in very bad repair with massive potholes etc. The van we were in was very old and had no suspension or air con so by the end of the day we were sore! I'd say that P&O book the best vans for these trips or people just wouldn't pay that kind of money!

All up I think we spent about 6 hours on this trip! It was a HUGE day!! I don't know if the P&O tour would be this long.

They usually dock in Vila around 8am and leave at about 6pm, so there's plenty of time to do a tour or 2 and plenty of shopping too. Hope that helps anyone looking to do the round island tour :D

P&O \ Princess call this the Village Circle tour, very similar by description, and yes - is an all dayer.

Prices - These are Princess prices, P&O may vary:

Round Island (the one with the "firewalking") $125 adult. $75 child

Village Circle (the one with the canoe) $119 adult, $79 child

Both are listed as 8:30 am - 4:30pm. My TA mentioned that there was a bit of time left for shopping in Vila at the end of the tour.

This web site settled the tour for us! (the music is addictive)

http://www.epule-river.com/

Cheers

Geoff

Archived