Wireless Cell Service onboard Ships

mrtdm1

We just returned from a 7 day cruise aboard the Carnival Legend.

I took my cell phone for business, in case of some problem.

When I received my T-Mobile bill, the roaming charges were $4.99 per Minute on board the ship.

We sailed on the Brilliance of the Seas in December 06 and the per minute charge was $2.08.

Since both ships ar owned by Carnivial, I assumed the charges would be comparable. Obviously I was wrong.

So I caution anyone bringing a Cell phne onboard check to see what the roaming charges will be.

This was an outrageous charge and I feel the Cruise line should make it clear that you could be charged excessively uisng the Wirless nteworks, just as they do in Hotel phones.

Just for your information.

When I received my T-Mobile bill, the roaming charges were $4.99 per Minute on board the ship.

We sailed on the Brilliance of the Seas in December 06 and the per minute charge was $2.08.

Since both ships ar owned by Carnivial, I assumed the charges would be comparable. Obviously I was wrong.

So I caution anyone bringing a Cell phne onboard check to see what the roaming charges will be.

This was an outrageous charge and I feel the Cruise line should make it clear that you could be charged excessively uisng the Wirless nteworks, just as they do in Hotel phones.

I have Sprint and also had to drag my anchor along with me. The few calls that I had to conduct cost me $2.49/min plus international roaming of $.69/min. I added the international roaming plan about a week or so before I sailed.

I don't believe that Carnival has any control over the costs associated with cell phone usage on board their ships. I've seen folks here report that they had NO other charge beyond their roaming costs.

T-Moblie seems to be one of the worst about tacking on an additional fee to 2.49/min charged by Cellular at Sea.

We have Cingular/AT&T and have never been charged more than the 2.49/min - which is still high. But it is definately better than the 9.99/min to use the system on the ship. And it is comforting to know that we can be reached in the case of an emergency.

All of the information I have even seen from Carnival states that they offer the service - but that you should check with your carrier for specific charge information. So they do "make it clear" - but since there are carriers like T-Moblie who tack on an additional charge there is no way for them to know exactly what the charge is for each carrier.

The service is provided through Carnival - but you used it by choice. I don't think you can be angry at Carnival because you did not check with your carrier about the charges!

The service is provided through Carnival - but you used it by choice. I don't think you can be angry at Carnival because you did not check with your carrier about the charges!

This is one of those situations however where I think Carnival would do themselves as well as their passengers a world of good if they were more forthcoming with practical advice and information.

I would like to see a shipboard / Capers warning to the effect of:

Please note: Although your cellular telephone may function while at sea, charges imposed by your carrier may be substantial regardless of whether you have a "roaming" service plan. Carnival urges you to contact your cellular provider regarding these charges prior to use in order to avoid unpleasant surprises when your cellular bill arrives.

Travel agents who book cruises owe it to their clients to do the same. I can tell you that when my wife (a travel agency manager) and I took a group on the 9/16 - 9/24 sailing of the Miracle, we did just that: as our bus arrived at the port in NY, I asked for everyone's attention and said something to the effect of, "Many of you will be surprised to see that your cell phones will be functional while at sea, however you need to be aware that the cost per minute will most likely be at least $2.49 and may be much higher depending on your service proveder. Regardless of any roaming plan you may have, the service will almost certainly *not* be free."

Mobile service on board ship - note all CCL ships are now equipped with their own cells so the signals are great but beware, the roaming prices are a bit pricy:

Verizon - Calls: $2.49/min; Text Message: Not Available

AT&TCalls: $2.49/min; Text Message: Send - 50¢ per message; Receive - Home pay-per-use or package rates apply to all text message received when roaming internationally

T-Mobile - Calls: $4.99/min; Text Message: Send - 35¢ per message; Receive - 3¢ per message

Sprint PCS – Web site says call 1-800-974-2221 for rates others reported the following - Calls: $2.99/min; Text Message: 15¢ per message

Also, AT&T and T-Mobile phones work pretty much in all countries throughout the world with the exception of Japan and Korea. See their respective web sites via the links provided above for roaming prices in the ports/countries you will be visiting. Verizon and Sprint work in quite a few Caribbean islands and Mexico if I am not mistaken – check their website via the links provided above for more detailed info.

Since both ships ar owned by Carnivial, I assumed the charges would be comparable.

Brillance of the Seas is a RCI ship not owned by Carnival (unless I missed the news somewhere:D )

I do agree that they should have something in the rooms or capers or announced that tell you to beware of hte cell phone charges.

Wow Cell One's service sucks, but i paid nothing for any of the calls, or texts i made on my miracle cruise in sept.

Are you speaking of calls made while at sea, or in port?

San Juan and St Thomas are both US possessions and cell companies generally treat them as part of nationwide long distance and/or roaming plans.

At sea, on the other hand, is entirely different. The consensus is that the shipboard wireless provider, Wireless Maritime Services (http://www.cellularatsea.com/) charges $2.49/minute (with pass-thru billing provided by your cell service) and that some companies such as T-Mobile tack a further surcharge on top of the $2.49.

Of course, getting accurate detail on this entire process has proven to be nearly impossible...

Mobile service on board ship - note all CCL ships are now equipped with their own cells so the signals are great but beware, the roaming prices are a bit pricy:

Verizon - Calls: $2.49/min; Text Message: Not Available

AT&TCalls: $2.49/min; Text Message: Send - 50¢ per message; Receive - Home pay-per-use or package rates apply to all text message received when roaming internationally

T-Mobile - Calls: $4.99/min; Text Message: Send - 35¢ per message; Receive - 3¢ per message

Sprint PCS – Web site says call 1-800-974-2221 for rates others reported the following - Calls: $2.99/min; Text Message: 15¢ per message

Also, AT&T and T-Mobile phones work pretty much in all countries throughout the world with the exception of Japan and Korea. See their respective web sites via the links provided above for roaming prices in the ports/countries you will be visiting. Verizon and Sprint work in quite a few Caribbean islands and Mexico if I am not mistaken – check their website via the links provided above for more detailed info.

Although I was told by Sprint that the charge would be $2.99/minute, the actual amount which appeared on my bill was $2.49/minute. This for the 9/16/07 sailing of the Miracle.

Are you speaking of calls made while at sea, or in port?

San Juan and St Thomas are both US possessions and cell companies generally treat them as part of nationwide long distance and/or roaming plans.

At sea, on the other hand, is entirely different. The consensus is that the shipboard wireless provider, Wireless Maritime Services (http://www.cellularatsea.com/) charges $2.49/minute (with pass-thru billing provided by your cell service) and that some companies such as T-Mobile tack a further surcharge on top of the $2.49.

Of course, getting accurate detail on this entire process has proven to be nearly impossible...

I got charged for nothing, every call made or rc'd from 9/7-9/16. I had called prior to our trip and the cellone rep told me it would either be included, or possibley up to a 1.49 per min charge but texting would be free either way

I got charged for nothing, every call made or rc'd from 9/7-9/16. I had called prior to our trip and the cellone rep told me it would either be included, or possibley up to a 1.49 per min charge but texting would be free either way

Thanks for clarifying. Looks like CellularOne is the way to go for at-sea calls!

Before you leave, you need to add "International calling" to your service plan. Carnival is not responsible for ANY cell phone company charges! They only provide the means to be able to use it.

It's like blaming a cell tower because you got a high cell phone bill. Same thing with Carnival - they aren't responsible at all. It's your responsibility to do the research.

Go to your provider's website and go into your plan. Find the area where you can add to your plan, they may break down the charges by the islands you visit. I know for a fact they do this for Sprint which I have & used.

But again - other than US islands, most of the other islands in the Caribbean won't have cell phone service as they don't have cell towers. You'd have to bounce off the signals from space & even that might not work on hazy days.

So, leave the cell phone off. Unless its a emergency, there's no use for one while you are on Vacation....

Brilliance of the Seas is not a Carnival ship.

I think it is important to call your cell phone provider before you sail and find out what the roaming charges are in port and at sea.

My last sailing was on th Conquest in February of this year, I have QWEST (which is somehow involved with Sprint) and I received NO additional roaming charges for any of my calls....and since I was sailing with a friend and not my husband I made many calls...not one cent extra. As others have said Carnival has no say in what cellular companies charge their customers. I suppose one could always call "ship to shore" and pay those fees :eek: !

IMO this is another case of not doing one's due diligence. Prior to making any calls the poster should have contacted his/her cellular provider to find out exactly what the charges were when sevice was available.

Geeeeeeeeeez people - get a grip - if you make a call on the ship's phone blame/consult them for the charges otherwise check and talk to you wireless provider - they are the ones who send you the bill- in 2002 we saw on Cnbc that a tornadoe had hit our home town , near our house - I recognized the pictures around where we live - I think it cost me almost $100 - but it was sure reassuring to talk to our next door neighbors to know that our home was still intact.

These are the times we live in - When our youngest dd was born I had to send a telegraph to my parents who were on 2 week cruise thru the Panama Canal - and they complained about what it cost them to resond.

Enjoy what we have available for our use.

Did you actually have service on the ship itself or just the islands?? I too have my own business and god forbid I go on vacation and actually relax so I will need my cell phone as well but wasnt sure where I will have service so I was a little nervous.

I'm curious why would anyone think the cruise line should caution you about using your cell phone at sea. It's your phone, your responsibility.

My question too. If you call your Credit Card company to tell them you will be out of the country, wouldn't it make sense to call your cell phone provider and ask them what the charges will be if you use your phone at sea and in port?

Did you actually have service on the ship itself or just the islands?? I too have my own business and god forbid I go on vacation and actually relax so I will need my cell phone as well but wasnt sure where I will have service so I was a little nervous.

In fact, that is the entire gist of these threads.

All Carnival ships now have cellular access while at sea; in theory, anyplace on the face of the earth. How much it will cost to use this service depends on your cell provider, we have seen anything from zero (rarely) to $4.99 per minute with the average around $2.50 per minute. On my recent sailing aboard the Miracle, Sprint charged me $2.49 per minute for 11 minutes of calls. It is important to note that at-sea calls may be charged these higher rates regardless of any "roaming" plan you may have with your provider.

Start at http://www.cellularatsea.com/endusers.htm then click one of the provider links near the top of the page or call your provider at the number shown at the bottom.

Cruising another line? See http://www.cellularatsea.com/shipsinservice.htm

In fact, that is the entire gist of these threads.

All Carnival ships now have cellular access while at sea; in theory, anyplace on the face of the earth. How much it will cost to use this service depends on your cell provider, we have seen anything from zero (rarely) to $4.99 per minute with the average around $2.50 per minute. On my recent sailing aboard the Miracle, Sprint charged me $2.49 per minute for 11 minutes of calls. It is important to note that at-sea calls may be charged these higher rates regardless of any "roaming" plan you may have with your provider.

Start at http://www.cellularatsea.com/endusers.htm then click one of the provider links near the top of the page or call your provider at the number shown at the bottom.

Cruising another line? See http://www.cellularatsea.com/shipsinservice.htm

We have Verizon and I talked to a very sweet person yesterday about the charges for our cruise Nov 4th on the Legend. I have added the international calling service on our plan which is $3.99 per month. I will be able to cancel it when we get off the cruise. The rates will be as follows:

$2.49 per minute on the cruise ship

$ .20 per minute in Grand Cayman

$ .09 per minute in Cozemul

$ .30 per minute in Belize

$1.49 per minute in Roatan

These rates are with the international calling plan. Of course if you are going to different locations then the rates will change. I thought this might help.

• 3 weeks later...
A good business person would check on costs before carrying out a transaction instead of going ahead w/o information. You obviously did not. In this case, you suffer the consequences of your lack of plannng.

DON

A good business person would provide support and be helpful not knock someone for their mistake like you're doing here.

Archived