Too new to know what I'm doing

goLC

I just got back from my first cruise with 5 other friends. I'm hooked! Now I want to go with DH and DS. Trying to figure out best arrangement for the best price. My son is 14 and I wouldn't want him in a cabin by himself, so I need room for 3. Problem is DS is 6'2 now - who knows how big he'll be this spring! What type of bed can he "fit" in without hanging out all over the place? I want him to be comfortable. I'd love to be able to let him take a friend, but $$ for spring break looks high enough for just the 3 of us. It would be most convenient for us to sail out of NOLA or Jacksonville, 'cause we could drive easily. I'm already gonna have to really sell this, as neither of them are nearly as gung ho as I am! Any suggestions for what type of room to book would be great. (BTW, we had and inside cabin and I was completely fine with that. We really didn't stay in our rooms much anyway, so if I could save $ that way that would be fine.) Also, I know one of the women on this past cruise got $100 off for past cruiser - how do you go about getting that? And DH would qualify for the military deal - served 12 years, honorably discharged (isn't that right for qualifying?) Is that deal generally better or worse or the same as past cruiser discount? Thanks in advance!

Jane

Your best bet is booking with your husband military discount, all you need is 2 years and a DD-214, savings are about 300.00 off. Not sure about the 6'2 14 year old son, Im sure his poor legs will be sticking out of the sofa bed for sure. Forget the Past Guest discount as those are on specific ships or last minute cruise dates. You can see those on Carnivals website, you will need to go there and register to view the past guest rates. But again youre better off booking Military as thats the best deal you can get now.

Fred

I think your son's legs will hang over on a pull out, roll away, or a sofa convertable. Your best bet is to either get 2 staterooms (if son brings friend) or let son sleep on regular bed and either you or your DH take the 3rd bed.

If you get 2 staterooms won't cost you that much more depending on the type you book. The 3rd person rate in an inside cabin is usually only $100 less than rate 1 and 2. So it will cost about $100 more (presuming son's friend will pay his own way) to book a 2nd room.

Unfortunately I think all of the beds are the same size regardless of the type of cabin you get.

My 18 year old nephew is 6 feet 4 inches and has slept on the bunks in a cabin for 4 and also a cabin for 3 and never has any problems. He's just so darn glad to be on the cruise!

Lora

I would also consider Port Canaveral since its not far from Jacksonville or Tampa and Royal Caribbean. Look at all the options.

Iv decided to only go out of Galveston, the Conquest goes out of there.

Out of New Orleans your choices are pretty limited, only a 4/5 day cruise or 7 day on Norweigan.

Thanks so much for the advice everyone. Fred, to get the military discount, do I just need to call Carnival and ask for it? Is it available for all cruises? I'll check on Tampa, too; hadn't really given that much thought, but it's not that much farther.

I'm still thinking about my DS; I'm thinking he would have a better time if he took a friend, then I could make sure they both got "real" beds.

When i mentioned the military discount to my DH he DID for once sound remotely interested. ;) Is it a percentage off, Fred? I'm finding I really NEED a countdown clock going!

2Ports Jr. is the same size - 16 now, that big @ 14. Fits just fine in the Pullmans or sofabed or cot - takes whatever he gets and sleeps like a teenager. Should be easy to convince your son to go - just find some "age appropriate" ;) pictures of the Lido deck and pool...

2Ports Jr. is the same size - 16 now, that big @ 14. Fits just fine in the Pullmans or sofabed or cot - takes whatever he gets and sleeps like a teenager. Should be easy to convince your son to go - just find some "age appropriate" ;) pictures of the Lido deck and pool...

forget the pictures of the pool and deck find the pictures of the FOOD :D

We had a 6'5 friend come on one of our cruises and she fit on the bunk and the pullout sofa

Nice to know DS will fit... we're all sitting here watching baseball and I keep reading the replies to DS and DH - I've got an uphill battle, folks! Maybe I'll just have to do a girlfriend cruise again!

I had no idea there was a teacher discount; there were just 6 of us and our TA never mentioned it! It's back to the real world on Monday; my mind is still on the Fantasy, though!:eek:

Well, my DH is thinking $.. I bought him one of those coconut heads that doubles as a bank after the drink is gone... guess I'll just have to start stuffing it with more than coins!

Thanks so much for the advice everyone. Fred, to get the military discount, do I just need to call Carnival and ask for it? Is it available for all cruises? I'll check on Tampa, too; hadn't really given that much thought, but it's not that much farther.

To get a Military discount you need to book early as not avalibly on all saling and are in limited number of cabins.

If undesided call your TA and put down a deposit to hold them until you deside. You have until final payment to get the deposit back if you change your deposit

Nice to know DS will fit... we're all sitting here watching baseball and I keep reading the replies to DS and DH - I've got an uphill battle, folks! Maybe I'll just have to do a girlfriend cruise again!

I had no idea there was a teacher discount; there were just 6 of us and our TA never mentioned it! It's back to the real world on Monday; my mind is still on the Fantasy, though!:eek:

Well, my DH is thinking $.. I bought him one of those coconut heads that doubles as a bank after the drink is gone... guess I'll just have to start stuffing it with more than coins!

:cool: Jane...you need to check out, Vacations to Go .com You'll find it on the home page of Cruise crit. There you can get a feel for the military discounts and the teachers. If you book a military discount, just be ready to FAX a copy of your DH's DD214 in. They gave me 48 hours after my down payment. I FAXed it in about 24 mins....lol:D

I just got back from my first cruise with 5 other friends. I'm hooked! Now I want to go with DH and DS. Trying to figure out best arrangement for the best price. My son is 14 and I wouldn't want him in a cabin by himself, so I need room for 3. Problem is DS is 6'2 now - who knows how big he'll be this spring! What type of bed can he "fit" in without hanging out all over the place? I want him to be comfortable. I'd love to be able to let him take a friend, but $$ for spring break looks high enough for just the 3 of us. It would be most convenient for us to sail out of NOLA or Jacksonville, 'cause we could drive easily. I'm already gonna have to really sell this, as neither of them are nearly as gung ho as I am! Any suggestions for what type of room to book would be great. (BTW, we had and inside cabin and I was completely fine with that. We really didn't stay in our rooms much anyway, so if I could save $ that way that would be fine.) Also, I know one of the women on this past cruise got $100 off for past cruiser - how do you go about getting that? And DH would qualify for the military deal - served 12 years, honorably discharged (isn't that right for qualifying?) Is that deal generally better or worse or the same as past cruiser discount? Thanks in advance!

Jane

HI.. I book with vacations to go. They have a web site and you can put in info for what port you want to leave from. You can watch the boards a few days ago they had a sale for O.Veiw $349.00 a person. 3rd and 4th are usually less. After you look and call. get ext 366 from 3 to midnight she was great and got me in some groups really cheap. You just have to watch. At one time just after I booked mine so I was too late they had a 7 day balcon out of San D. for $549.99 went ot acapulco, mazatlan etc. Just watch the board it will give you something fun to look forward to.

Lynda

M. TN.

Thanks so much for the vacations to go information! I've been playing around on that site for the past hour! DH is at work, or I'd have had him in here looking at those military rates - they're awesome! I can't believe after the months I've just spent on this site that I'd never tried the vacations to go link! Great way to compare prices/cruises! Thanks everyone! Now just keep you fingers crossed for me that I can do some big time persuading here in KY!

Thanks so much for the vacations to go information! I've been playing around on that site for the past hour! DH is at work, or I'd have had him in here looking at those military rates - they're awesome! I can't believe after the months I've just spent on this site that I'd never tried the vacations to go link! Great way to compare prices/cruises! Thanks everyone! Now just keep you fingers crossed for me that I can do some big time persuading here in KY!

:rolleyes: What part of KY, are you from? My family is from London and Corbin area.:) I use vacations to go, to get the military rate. Then I call my PVP and she is awesome.:D

We're in Russellville, just west of Bowling Green (1 hr. north of Nashville.) I've got the vac to go site on my computer, but now is not the time to show DH as we're watching the end of the UK-LSU football game and I know better than to interrupt!;) I may be trying for too much at once, though; I've been on the phone with a former student today, too, about buying a new van... don't know if I can be persuasive enough to get a cruise AND a van on the same day!

Archived