Summit & Cirque du Soleil

Tweets

Hi Folks,

Does the Summit still have a Cirque du Soleil show/bar? When I go on the Celebrity website I can't find any info:confused:

The bar may still have the CdS format but the show is gone. It was a short-lived feature with Celebrity. I think they were going to continue with a few CdS style acts in the normal theater shows, but the specialized show is history.

Les

The Cirque shows were absolutely wonderful. We saw them on two cruises last year. The ship was rolling a bit for one of them. I was told if if got too rocky they cancelled the show. I believe they never stayed on the ship during the complete cruise.

Jan

We did Summit to Hawaii in Jan, 2006 and Cirque was still on board. We saw the performers thru the whole cruise in the public areas. Kind of hard to get off when we were at sea and the show was the final formal night. We felt that they had ruined the forward observation lounge w/the addition of all the draperies and the "beds". We had been on the ship a few years prior and knew what it looked like pre-Cirque.

If what was discussed on these boards at the time was accurate, passenger comments were very negative about the whole Cirque experience prompting X to drop them after about 2 yrs, if that long.

It sounds like the worst of both worlds--the Cirque show is gone but the annoying draperies blocking observation areas in the bar have remained. The Cirque show was one of the reasons I booked this ship over a year ago (and my cruise isn't until next year) so its a little disappointing that they are gone.

Don't be too disappointed... from what most people said the shows were not true CdS shows like you'd expect if you'd ever seen one, and a lot reported walking out. I wish they would take down the leftover CdS stuff... I don't care what they paid for it, it's UGLY! LOL

Don't be too disappointed... from what most people said the shows were not true CdS shows like you'd expect if you'd ever seen one, and a lot reported walking out. I wish they would take down the leftover CdS stuff... I don't care what they paid for it, it's UGLY! LOL

We saw the Cirque de Soleil shows on both the Constellation in 2005 and the Summit in November 2006. I never saw anyone walk out of either show, and people seemed to really enjoy the performances. Everyone I spoke with really enjoyed the shows; the only negative comment I heard was that people wished they CdS shows were longer...they lasted about 35 minutes. The performers were really accomplished athletes, and the routines were beautifully done. Of course, given the venue, it was only a "taste" of what CdS does, but they were still wonderful shows to have on a cruise ship. And I appreciated that I wasn't paying $100 per ticket to see them, either.

I do agree that the "decoration" that remains in the "Bar at the Edge of the Earth" (not sure of the name), is quite unpleasant, especially in daylight. I would be very happy to see the area renovated. I had friends who cruised when the Cirque performers used to attend the party at the "Bar" and with their pantomimes and the black light effects, my friends said it was an interesting experience, and one which they enjoyed. I applaud Celebrity for trying something new, even if all parts didn't work out as well as hoped.

I still think the CdS shows were great!

I did not read the boards at the time so didn't know there was a negative response to Cirque. We understood that the shows would not be like a regular Cirque show on land so were not disappointed in any way. The theatre was full for the shows and the response was tremendous. Both times we saw them we were on the Connie. We are so bored wth most of the production shows we see. Cirque was a treat.

Jan

The show we saw on Summit was awful--no real acrobatics & not like the real cirque shows-- just a long skit that was very sexist & they sat on people's laps in the audience--very amateurish, really bad! It was packed & some loved it...but many did not. We were told that each troupe does it's own thing--people clapped when they left the ship.

We passed on attending the party where the characters were supposed to interact with pax so I can't comment on that. But they did ruin the beautiful lounge & daytime viewing room. Too bad some of the rags & beds are left in the lounge. Also hope they took the CDS store with them--too much adult stuff---in plain view.

Hope the next idea is better but I credit X for trying!

Archived