Leave it at Home !!!!

VaBeachCruisers897

One of our ongoing rituals is to keep a running list of things we need and things we don't. There are 100's of lists on this board and if a newcomer was to follow them they would be bringing (12) suitcases...

Lets start a list of things we thought we needed... and why we decided it is now useless to bring the item we once thought was important!!

I will start....

Our first cruise we brought an excessive amount of reading material... Between drinking \ dancing \ eating \ sleeping & reading the daily ship information not to mention a full on-board ship library - we definitely brought way too much stuff to read :eek:

My top ten things to leave at home while cuising:

10) Stress

9) List of things which have to be accomplished

8) Any modern electronic devices, such as phone, laptop, etc.

7) Teenage son and daugther (okay... just kidding... sometimes)

6) Dressy clothes (except for formal wear)

5) Speedo (joking! I don't have one... but if I would, I'd leave it at home!)

4) Umbrella

3) Misc. Items you won't need anyways

2) Duct tape + other tools (sorry... I had to put that one on the list)

1) No shoes, no shirt - no problem! Live life to it's fullest!

Sorry for the stupid question, but what in world would you need duct tape on a cruise ship?

Have a fun-filled cruise!

Andy

Too funny you should ask about the duct tape. I never bring it either, however while at Walgreens yesterday I was looking for just a stupid brightly colored ribbon or yarn to tie on my luggage and they didn't have any, so low and behold the sales lady showed me bright green (Island Lime) duct tape that she thought would work.

So, this time....I'm bringing duct tape (at least taped onto my luggage anyway):D

Happy Sails!!!

Romy:)

Romy:

Okay... now that shines some light on the subject... makes more sense now.

I was just wondering what kind of construction everybody is involved in while on board...

Here in Florida duct tape comes in handy when it comes down to Hurricane preparedness, but I simply could not exlpain the duct tape on a cruise ship. I assume it would come in handy of building your own raft though... LOL ;-)

Andy

Leave the countless suitcases of clothes and shoes at home.

Going carry-on is so liberating - no waiting for luggage to arrive at you cabin, no hauling bags and bags off the ship during self-disembarkation, and no putting you luggage outside you door the night before leaving the ship!

Leave the countless suitcases of clothes and shoes at home.

Going carry-on is so liberating - no waiting for luggage to arrive at you cabin, no hauling bags and bags off the ship during self-disembarkation, and no putting you luggage outside you door the night before leaving the ship!

I have been trying to reduce what I bring on vacations since my very first vacation 25 years before my first cruise and I would love to reduce down to a carry-on but until I am receiving "free laundering", I'm not sure I can do it?

So, this time....I'm bringing duct tape (at least taped onto my luggage anyway)

I wouldn't do that if I were you. When it eventually comes off , it will leave your luggage sticky.:eek: It's better to use some bright yarn, curly ribbon etc.

I think I have read posts about bringing duct tape to keep drawers closed in rough seas. I brought some before and used it to keep my snorkle fin staps from slipping. When the tape came off later, it was really messy and sticky.:mad:

Cheers!

Regrettably, I'll have to bring a heavy coat. We're leaving from Amarillo, Tx in January and it's gonna be stinkin' cold when we leave and when we get back.

The laptop's going. I found it to be priceless when we went on our Alaskan cruise. I was able to download all of my photos at the end of each day. And there are people in our group who will be using digital cameras too who will be depending on me for photo storage also. Naturally, I'll probably bring a few blank cd's to back their stuff up with.

Never had thought about duct tape. It makes sense though, it can fix anything. After all, it IS the handyman's secret weapon.

redgreenresizedgp5.png

Remember!

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Keep your stick on the ice!

I wouldn't do that if I were you. When it eventually comes off , it will leave your luggage sticky.:eek: It's better to use some bright yarn, curly ribbon etc.

I think I have read posts about bringing duct tape to keep drawers closed in rough seas. I brought some before and used it to keep my snorkle fin staps from slipping. When the tape came off later, it was really messy and sticky.:mad:

Cheers!

Try Goo Gone. It gets rid of the glue residue with no problem.

I took a beach towel on my first cruise and regretted it the second I saw there were 2 of them in my cabin!

I'm also going to try to leave a few pairs of shoes at home. All i've ever really needed are my formal shoes, a casual pair and a good pair of walking shoes for the islands. I must learn that on cruises I DON'T need 1 pair of shoes for each outfit :D

I also need to leave home all those extra bits of 'just in case' clothes that I just never end up wearing!

I also took a snorkel set last time that never saw the light of day :(

I guess the best way to look at it is, if you're not sure you'll use it, leave it at home! Especially if you're flying to get to the ship. Who needs the extra weight?!?

Archived