Our flight to Miami arrives in the afternoon do we have time to get to the ship??

MELJMO

We have been on other cruises and we usually try and arrive the day before at the port city. However, our schedule doesn't allow that this time. We are on the Liberty sailing out of Miami November 17. We have not booked air yet. The least expensive flight arrives(from STL on American Airlines) into Miami at 1:55 P.M. and we sail at 5:00 P.M. There are 4 of us flying and the earlier flight into Miami from STL costs twice as much(arrives 11 A.M.) and is less convenient. The flight(only one) into FLL has the same issues.

I would like some advice from those who may have had similar situations in the past. Essentially, would you risk the flight arriving late and miss the ship or pay over $500 more in total to arrive by 11:00 A.M.? Any thoughts? Thank you.

We have been on other cruises and we usually try and arrive the day before at the port city. However, our schedule doesn't allow that this time. We are on the Liberty sailing out of Miami November 17. We have not booked air yet. The least expensive flight arrives(from STL on American Airlines) into Miami at 1:55 P.M. and we sail at 5:00 P.M. There are 4 of us flying and the earlier flight into Miami from STL costs twice as much(arrives 11 A.M.) and is less convenient. The flight(only one) into FLL has the same issues.

I would like some advice from those who may have had similar situations in the past. Essentially, would you risk the flight arriving late and miss the ship or pay over $500 more in total to arrive by 11:00 A.M.? Any thoughts? Thank you.

I am assuming that you have a seven night cruise.... but maybe getting a late 1/16 flight might work. I can tell you that flights are more expensive right now out of ORD. Try multiple websites for flight information, Kayak works good. Flying 11/17 the weather shouldn't get you but with airline delays I would want a buffer. My family has taken flights and gotten into Miami at 10 pm.... we check into their room for them so that helps but still.... Good luck!!

I agree with the above about possibly checking out a late flight the night before. We did that before, arriving into FLL at midnight. My inlaws did a flight 2 years ago from Toronto that was scheculed into Miami at 1pm. It left an hour late (and this was October), and some of their luggage didn't make it.

The good news is that even with landing at 2, not finding their luggage, reporting it to the airline and making arrangements for it to be forwarded to the next port city, they got to the port after the craziness died down so there weren't any lines for boarding. So, if all goes well for you, you should still have lots of time to get to the ship, and short lines waiting.

I would try for a late flight the night before or keep looking for a day or so to see if you can get in earlier...

One heavy rainstorm someplace in the US and you are SOL! You might make it, but if the plane is delayed for any reason, you will be waving to the ship as it leaves.....you get in at 2....by the time you get your bags and a cab it could be close to 3 (that's if the plane is on time) you'd get to the port by 3:30 but, I really would be uncomfortable with that!......

You should not, I repeat you should not, fly in the afternoon of the cruise. If you flight is delayed or canceled or if there are other issues you will easily miss the ship. My advice is to fly in either early that morning or better yet the night before.

Keith

Please find another flight. We flew in the day of a cruise and our early a.m flight was canceled. They did book us on another flight, but with only a few hours to spare. Our drive to the port was normally 45 minutes, but of course, we hit traffic and it took longer. We did make it to the port in time, but just barely. There is simply to many things that could have gone wrong and we would not have made it. I would NEVER, EVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, FLY IN THE DAY OF A CRUISE AGAIN!!! Way to much stress... not the way I wanted to start that cruise!!

Check all alternatives esp. Kayak or Sidestep. Try not to get flights where you change planes, luggage might not make it. If you must fly to another destination first, don't make a connecting flight from an airport where it could get snowed in. For us that would be Newark, JFK, DC, Detroit, Cincinnati, etc. The words non stop mean a lot in the dead of winter.

Please find another flight. We flew in the day of a cruise and our early a.m flight was canceled. They did book us on another flight, but with only a few hours to spare. Our drive to the port was normally 45 minutes, but of course, we hit traffic and it took longer. We did make it to the port in time, but just barely. There is simply to many things that could have gone wrong and we would not have made it. I would NEVER, EVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, FLY IN THE DAY OF A CRUISE AGAIN!!! Way to much stress... not the way I wanted to start that cruise!!

I will NEVER fly the day of a cruise... I used too,But not lately.. I live in the northeast, and most cruises I have taken are out of Florida, and the planes I have flown on,, using various airlines have ALL been delayed,,, and I just can't take the stress.. SO I will always fly a day prior.. even if I have to fly late night the day before.. atleast I am in the same town as the ship..

I was in JFK last thanksgiving time and I was watching as flights were being added as delayed, or worse.....canceled.. Our flight was delayed,, we got in at 2pm instead of the noon time we were scheduled to come in.

Also if in case your luggage is lost or misplaced it gives the airline a few hours to find it and get it too me before we sail...;)

Good luck,, in your flights... D

Dear Sea Breeze, We had you on our thread for the Western Mediterrian on Century for one message. Are you going on Nov 23,2007 with us or are you going to the Celebrity Constellation. Please rpley to me Koims on the Century thread for this cruise. Thanks, We are trying to see how many we have for the party. Pam Giles

Dear Sea Breeze, We had you on our thread for the Western Mediterrian on Century for one message. Are you going on Nov 23,2007 with us or are you going to the Celebrity Constellation. Please rpley to me Koims on the Century thread for this cruise. Thanks, We are trying to see how many we have for the party. Pam Giles

We were going to go on this cruise,, but we jumped ship.. :rolleyes:

We are going with another couple and they were affraid it would be too cool to go to the Mediterrian this time of year.. We didn't care where we are going as long as we are going.. so We are not... You groups sounds like fun... Enjoy and I hope someone will write a review so I can read how it all goes...

Enjoy and have a good afternoon.

Deb

aka Sea Breeze

To SeaBreeze: Do you fly out of Portland? I grew up in Bath, Maine many years ago. Love the Harpswell-Bailey Island area. We are now in Ma. near the N.H. border and no will never, ever fly out again the day of a cruise!

Yes I do... Its so funny when people are coming into Portland JetPort for the first time.. and they say ... "is that the airport"??:rolleyes: funny.. years ago I remember having to walk out on the tarmat ( is that the right word) to get on planes.. So we have grown .. we know have 11 gates??

Yeah I live on Mere Point... we boat out to baileys and go to cooks for lunch and Dolphin Marina.. does that make you want to come back to Maine? Your not to far away.. Deb

Archived