Best Way from Dover to Cornwall?

Yet

I did hear, however, that last summer Heathrow was restricting all passengers to one piece of luggage and NO carry-ons--don't know if this is true.

I don't think this is quite right. The only time when there was no hand luggage at all was for a very short period a few years ago when there was a very high security alert. They are very strict in the UK about only one piece of hand luggage to go through security and it has to be within the size limits. There is lots of info about this on the BA website.

Hope all the info you are getting is helpful.

Julie

Just wondering about something . . . am I confusing the tube with the train or is it synonymous? According to the National Rail Enquiries website, a journey from Dover Priory (I'm assuming that means Dover, the port, where I disembark) to Redruth would stop at London Charing Cross --> then I would go underground to London Paddington --> and finally to Redruth by train. It would certainly be a hassle to transfer at each point with luggage in tow. Is there a baggage car on the train where luggage is stowed, or do passengers keep their luggage with them? From what I read on some other threads, it sounds like people keep their luggage with them??

The tube is the London Underground. In the US, we would call it a subway. (To a Brit, a subway is a pedestrian underpass. I can't translate any of it into Canadian.)

You keep your luggage with you. There may be a luggage rack somewhere in the rail car. Luggage is more trouble on the tube, with limited space. Yes, it is a hassle to transfer with luggage in tow. There is little time to get on or off. There are no porters, but there are no baggage tags or security checks, either. A taxi could be worth the added expense.

That's great, as long as it is allowed and we can pay for any extra bags or extra weight. Thanks for looking that up for me.

I did hear, however, that last summer Heathrow was restricting all passengers to one piece of luggage and NO carry-ons--don't know if this is true.

UK airports seem to have a unique restriction limiting each passenger to only one carry on. They consider a purse a carry on. They consider a laptop bag a carry on. If you can not stuff the laptop or purse into the other carry on as you pass through screening, you will have to check something.

Follow the links from http://www.heathrowairport.com/ to see airport baggage limits. You will also need to check with your airline for their carry on weight or size restriction. These rules are subject to change at a moment's notice.

Archived