Trains and Buses

Flacruiser123

Does anyone know all the trains available for one way trips from Anchorage to Denali and Anchorage to Seward straight from Denali to Seward?

Our plan is to fly into Anch in June 2008, do an independent land tour to Denali via train, stay in Denali three nights, bus back to Anchorage (recomended by cc members who bought round trip train tickets) and train/bus again to Seward. However, I'm going crazy shopping for the best value train/bus and coordinating arrival/departure times and places.

Gray Line of Alaska (train) seems to only book round trip rides, with specific tours, and not for the 3 nights that I want either.

The Alaska Railroad has the daily trips and dome/standard trains. I was disappointed to see that it costs more if you stop in Talkeetna and get back on the next day. We are still trying to decide if this (Talkeetna)will fit in our budget and if so, by train or bus. And still debating standard vs. dome top.

I found the Alaska Park Connection (bus) goes all the way to Seward from Denali, cutting out the hotel expense in Anchorage, but boy is that a long time on a bus (8 am - 6 pm)! BUT we would be in Seward and wake refreshed for a full day in Seward.

I found another bus that only goes from Denali to Anchorage Egan Center (whatever that is) with Alaska Motor Coach, only 5.5 hours long. I keep reading that the train ride between Anchorage and Seward is really nice so not being travel weary during this part of the trip is a concern of mine. Or is the view here much like the view to Denali and back, so "been there done that" and I would be better of just focusing on the destination (Seward)?

If we arrive in Anchorage by bus, then take train to Seward (arrives 11 a.m.), do we still have time for a Kenai Fjords trip? We'll stay in a hotel in Seward, then do something else in Seward and board ship later in day.

Are the train stations and bus stations at the same place in Anchorage, Denali, and Seward? I'm concerned about connections...

Thank you all for any help you can provide me!!!

Does anyone know all the trains available for one way trips from Anchorage to Denali and Anchorage to Seward straight from Denali to Seward?

Our plan is to fly into Anch in June 2008, do an independent land tour to Denali via train, stay in Denali three nights, bus back to Anchorage (recomended by cc members who bought round trip train tickets) and train/bus again to Seward. However, I'm going crazy shopping for the best value train/bus and coordinating arrival/departure times and places.

Gray Line of Alaska (train) seems to only book round trip rides, with specific tours, and not for the 3 nights that I want either.

The Alaska Railroad has the daily trips and dome/standard trains. I was disappointed to see that it costs more if you stop in Talkeetna and get back on the next day. We are still trying to decide if this (Talkeetna)will fit in our budget and if so, by train or bus. And still debating standard vs. dome top.

I found the Alaska Park Connection (bus) goes all the way to Seward from Denali, cutting out the hotel expense in Anchorage, but boy is that a long time on a bus (8 am - 6 pm)! BUT we would be in Seward and wake refreshed for a full day in Seward.

I found another bus that only goes from Denali to Anchorage Egan Center (whatever that is) with Alaska Motor Coach, only 5.5 hours long. I keep reading that the train ride between Anchorage and Seward is really nice so not being travel weary during this part of the trip is a concern of mine. Or is the view here much like the view to Denali and back, so "been there done that" and I would be better of just focusing on the destination (Seward)?

If we arrive in Anchorage by bus, then take train to Seward (arrives 11 a.m.), do we still have time for a Kenai Fjords trip? We'll stay in a hotel in Seward, then do something else in Seward and board ship later in day.

Are the train stations and bus stations at the same place in Anchorage, Denali, and Seward? I'm concerned about connections...

Thank you all for any help you can provide me!!!

There is only one train available Anchorage/Denali Park, leaves 8am every day, Denali Park/Anchorage leaves 12p every day. Anchorage/Seward leaves about 7am Seward/Anchorage leaves 6pm. The regular Alaska RR dome cars are open to everyone on a 30 min. basis if people are waiting. There is NO Denali Park/Seward train and you can not do this in one day via rail.

If you want one way transportation- then all you have to do is book it on your own. Match up the timeframes of buses you want.

Frankly- it doesn't matter what bus you take. All are going to be "transportation" although my last choice for Alaska, choose the timeframe you want. Egan Center and the train station are a short distance apart, cheap cab ride. Seward is small, in town $5 cab rides are the norm.

Yes you have time for the 11:30am Kenai Fjords boat tour arriving via RR, the train will be full of people doing this.

Yes it certainly does cost more to stop in Talkeetna, but I recommend it. For me, the Anchorage/Denali portion is so so for my interests, trees and more trees. Talkeetna is a very worthwhile stop and definately breaks up the long day. It isn't likely for McKinley to be viewable and this gives you another day for possible viewing. Spectacular viewing from Talkeetna, when available. You have NO view from your three nights outside of Denali Park, only from inside the park.

Thought I'd follow up on your comments related to the Park Connection Denali to Seward service. We have two coaches a day leaving Denali South to Anchorage. The morning coach would be the one you would want to use if going all the way to Seward. It has a 1 1/2 hour layover at the Anchorage Museum which is included in the cost of the service. Most folks use the time to explore the museum and eat lunch. If you want to layover in Anchorage, I'd suggest the afternoon departure out of Denali which would give you time to take a tour, raft trip, etc in Denali. You could then take the ARR to Seward arriving in time to take day cruise, then board your ship. The day cruise companies in Seward (there are several) will hold onto you luggage for you during the day.

Steve

Alaska Tour & Travel/

The Park Connection Motorcoach

Just a couple of clarifications:

The Egan Center is Anchorage's main convention center (although a newer, larger one is under construction), but it also functions as a central transfer point for tour bus loading (it's in the heart of downtown). It's within a 20-minute walk or so to the train depot (also connected by the free Ship Creek Shuttle, a downtown circulator service).

The Alaska Railroad offers two classes of service: standard coach and GoldStar (first). Coach class features standard reclining seats in new Korean-built cars with large picture windows (although there are some rebuilt 1950s coaches smaller windows but with much plusher seats), a dining car with halfway-decent food, and separate ex-Union Pacific cars with a smaller upstairs dome you can spend time in (if it's crowded, the tour guides rotate people in and out every 20 minutes). GoldStar service features large, double-deck cars with wraparound dome windows the full length of the upper deck, complimentary non-alcoholic beveragesan upstairs outdoor viewing platform, and full-service dining on the lower level. For a once-in-a-lifetime trip, I'd spring for the GoldStar service--I think it's only an extra $80 or so to Denali.

The Alaska Railroad also contracts with the three major cruise companies (Princess, Holland America and Royal Celebrity) to pull their private coaches. I'm not sure exactly how to do it, but you can also look into arranging travel on their cars (I know at least Princess offers separate rail tours for people not on a cruise), and they may include beverage and food service in the fare. Princess also operates a separately-chartered train service from Denali to Anchorage a few times a week which has a morning departure, so that might be an option to look into.

While in Denali, make sure to look at the shuttle bus services operated by the park service concessionaire, not just the ones operated by the tour companies. The latter can only go to Mile 17 (Savage River) of the park road, and you don't really see anything on them. If you've got the full day, take the park's shuttle bus at least as far as Eielson Visitor's Center (if they've reopened it) or even all the way to Wonder Lake (6-hour round trip and 8-hour round trip, respectively) to see more wildlife than you've ever dreamed of and glorious shots of the mountain itself, weather permitting.

One thing I (sort of) disagree with Budget Queen on: if a stop in Talkeetna makes the price go up, I would skip it. It's a funky little town (supposedly, the setting of the TV show Northern Exposure was modeled after it), but there's not a whole lot there unless you want to spring for a [relatively expensive] flightseeing tour of McKinley (most of the flightseeing operators are based there). However, BQ's point that it gives you an extra chance to see the mountain if weather isn't cooperating is valid, and Talkeetna does offer one of the best spots to see the mountain itself.

The scenery on the train north of Anchorage (Anchorage-Denali) is very different from the scenery south of Anchorage (Anchorage-Seward), so you will most definitely not feel like you've "been there, done that." South of Anchorage, you travel through fjords (along the coast, where the mountains run right into the ocean) and mountain passes, and the climate is a bit more moist. North of Anchorage, it's a bit drier, and the railroad itself travels on mostly flat land through forests, though there are (obviously) plenty of mountains in the surrounding area (not to mention McKinley itself). I actually prefer the run south of Anchorage, though one of my favorite areas on the entire railroad/road system is Broad Pass between Talkeetna and Denali, where it feels so desolate that it's kind of eerie.

Also, it's worth pointing out that the day cruise companies in Seward (Major Marine, Kenai Fjords, etc.) offer half-day and full-day cruises. If given the choice between a half-day and and full-day cruise (five-hour and 10-hour, I think), take the full-day one. They travel farther out of Seward to where you'll see more wildlife and get up close to glaciers. The Fox Island lunch tour (can't remember which company does that one) is good, too.

If you can't make the train/bus schedule from ANC-Denali work within your plans, consider renting a car in Anchorage for maximum flexibility for your trip north. Return it back to Anchorage and then take the train to Seward. This gives you the chance to still experience the railroad but still see the scenery Denali offers. For the Anchorage-Seward leg, check with both the railroad itself and your cruise line--the cruise companies do charter some special all-dome railroad cars for connections from Anchorage to the ships, and the cost might be cheaper than the railroad's own fare.

The Alaska Railroad also contracts with the three major cruise companies (Princess, Holland America and Royal Celebrity) to pull their private coaches. I'm not sure exactly how to do it, but you can also look into arranging travel on their cars (I know at least Princess offers separate rail tours for people not on a cruise), and they may include beverage and food service in the fare. Princess also operates a separately-chartered train service from Denali to Anchorage a few times a week which has a morning departure, so that might be an option to look into.

While in Denali, make sure to look at the shuttle bus services operated by the park service concessionaire, not just the ones operated by the tour companies. The latter can only go to Mile 17 (Savage River) of the park road, and you don't really see anything on them. If you've got the full day, take the park's shuttle bus at least as far as Eielson Visitor's Center (if they've reopened it) or even all the way to Wonder Lake (6-hour round trip and 8-hour round trip, respectively) to see more wildlife than you've ever dreamed of and glorious shots of the mountain itself, weather permitting.

QUOTE]

For clairfication the special contracted Princess train, goes to Whittier, not Anchorage from Denali Park or reverse.

There are more than just the Natural History tour, there is the Tundra Wilderness tour to mile 53 and Kantishna tour buses to mile 90+

It also is 11 hours on the shuttle bus to Wonder Lake and 8 hours to Fish Creek/Eielson.

Oops, sorry--it's been awhile since I've done the bus into Denali.

The NPS lets the private tour company buses past Mile 17? I did not know that.

Right--I had forgotten that the SB Princess Charter goes all the way to Whittier. Does it even stop in Anchorage (considering that it has to go right past the Anchorage depot)? I'm pretty sure it does, as there is an ARR crew change. If so, can you arrange with Princess to get off in Anchorage? Do they even sell tickets for this charter?

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you all so much for your wealth of information! I've decided to rent a car round trip to Anchorage with a stop most likely in Talkeetna for hubby to fish if he can make his arrangements. Will definitely leave the train trip for the Anchorage to Seward ride.

Now to figure out which hotels to book in each location...! :confused: :)

Archived