5 things you hate about RC

My wife and I just got off the Northern Europe cruise on the Jewel of the Seas a few weeks ago and we had a great trip. We got to meet new friends, saw great places and loved cruising with Royal Caribbean. It was our second cruise with RC and wont be our last.

However if you had to list 5 things you hated, or think RC could do better what would they be?

Mine are

1. The internet.

Unless you're at port the internet connection is utterly useless, and even then it's painfully slow. Most of the terminals don't work and you have to try multiple times and on multiple machines before you can get online sometimes. I lost count of the people that complained about the internet during my cruise.

2. Guest Relations.

Maybe it's because they don't get tips for good service I have always found them to be helpful, but by no means excellent. Anything that requires too much effort, like finding information sheets about local train times at ports is always a hassle.

3. Attention to Detail.

Our room attendants have always been excellent, but when it comes to restocking the necessities like washing bags and sanitary bags we're always left asking.

4. Photos on Board

Each cruise we buy about 5 or 6 pictures but generally pose for about 20 or more. I feel bad about wasting so many photos that end up in the trash. For the most part if you don't pose when coming off the ship it seems rude, but if you do, then I feel somewhat obligated to buy them. Maybe a digital system where you could preview all your photos on a screen or RCTV before they print them would be better.

5. Deck 7

The first time we cruised it was on deck 9 but the second time it was on deck 7 which just so happens to be level with a roof line that maintenance use as an access point to walk across, normally when you least expect it. We tended to have a false sense of security from our first cruise and would leave the blinds open while changing or just lazing about. However not any more. The maintenance crew would ALWAYS look in when they walk pasted which is extremely annoying and a breach of privacy IMO.

What about you guys. Anything you think RC could do better??

My wife and I just got off the Northern Europe cruise on the Jewel of the Seas a few weeks ago and we had a great trip. We got to meet new friends, saw great places and loved cruising with Royal Caribbean. It was our second cruise with RC and wont be our last.

However if you had to list 5 things you hated, or think RC could do better what would they be?

Mine are

1. The internet.

Unless you're at port the internet connection is utterly useless, and even then it's painfully slow. Most of the terminals don't work and you have to try multiple times and on multiple machines before you can get online sometimes. I lost count of the people that complained about the internet during my cruise.

2. Guest Relations.

Maybe it's because they don't get tips for good service I have always found them to be helpful, but by no means excellent. Anything that requires too much effort, like finding information sheets about local train times at ports is always a hassle.

3. Attention to Detail.

Our room attendants have always been excellent, but when it comes to restocking the necessities like washing bags and sanitary bags we're always left asking.

4. Photos on Board

Each cruise we buy about 5 or 6 pictures but generally pose for about 20 or more. I feel bad about wasting so many photos that end up in the trash. For the most part if you don't pose when coming off the ship it seems rude, but if you do, then I feel somewhat obligated to buy them. Maybe a digital system where you could preview all your photos on a screen or RCTV before they print them would be better.

5. Deck 7

The first time we cruised it was on deck 9 but the second time it was on deck 7 which just so happens to be level with a roof line that maintenance use as an access point to walk across, normally when you least expect it. We tended to have a false sense of security from our first cruise and would leave the blinds open while changing or just lazing about. However not any more. The maintenance crew would ALWAYS look in when they walk pasted which is extremely annoying and a breach of privacy IMO.

Per your #1 - Internet is slow on all cruiselines

Per your #4 - You are not obligated to pose. A polite "No thanks" always works for us.

Per your #5 - If you want to protect your privacy, keep your curtain closed. How often are the maintenance guys actually out there anyway? You make it sound like they are parading back and forth all day. I'm guessing they're not out there on sea days?

And to answer your question, there is nothing I HATE about Royal Caribbean.

We don't use the internet onboard so can't comment. We've never experienced a problem with Guest Relations however we have never cruised in Europe or on a TA. I do know I would check out train schedules on my own, before the cruise. As for the cabin attendants restocking bags for dry cleaning etc. I have no problem with asking. As for photos, I thought RCI was digital...no real waste there, we've looked at our photos at the kiosks they have. As for being on deck 7 with maintenance people looking in, I'm not sure what your point is. They aren't out there all the time and they really couldn't care less what passengers are doing. I'm sure your cabin wasn't unique, as far as they were concerned.

Per your #1 - Internet is slow on all cruiselines

Per your #4 - You are not obligated to pose. A polite "No thanks" always works for us.

Per your #5 - If you want to protect your privacy, keep your curtain closed. That's your responsibility.

Captain obvious to the rescue.

1. So i should accept a slow internet connection just because everyone else's is slow too? I'm sure this is something that can be fixed either as the technology improves, or the cruises lines invest in better connection speeds.

2. You miss the point. I want to pose because I want the photos. I do not think they have to print them all and waste all the paper before I choose which ones I like. It would be better for the environment to view them first before they print them.

3. Or they could ask the crew not to look into the cabins when they walk past. I'm sure i'm not the only one that has walked around not yet fully dressed with the curtains open on a balcony.

1. they insist I get off the ship when the cruise is over

2. they insist I get off the ship when the cruise is over

3. they insist I get off the ship when the cruise is over

4. they insist I get off the ship when the cruise is over

5. they insist I get off the ship when the cruise is over

6. they insist I get off the ship when the cruise is over

oopsss sorry that's 6

If anything the cruise lines should be embarrassed for charging 20 bucks for a digital photo that cost them 35 cents to print. I for one allow them to take all the shots they want and really don't care what they do with them when the trip is over. I always ask myself why would anyone in their right mind would want a photo with the Capt, in all likelihood you will never see this man again and he really doesn't give a rats pa-toot about you.

I would never argue that RCI is perfect, but neither would I start a thread about 5 things I hate!

Maybe 5 minor inconveniences?

I hate war, plague, poverty, injustice, bad macaroni and cheese and bad grammar.

I am inconvenienced by slow internet, etc.

Although just barely.

If anything the cruise lines should be embarrassed for charging 20 bucks for a digital photo that cost them 35 cents to print. I for one allow them to take all the shots they want and really don't care what they do with them when the trip is over. I always ask myself why would anyone in their right mind would want a photo with the Capt, in all likelihood you will never see this man again and he really doesn't give a rats pa-toot about you.

Well ... that's how they recoup the "sitting" fee with the backdrops. Luckily, people who want them are the only ones that have to buy them.

I see you just joined today. Always find it interesting when first posts are complaints.

Actually my wife has had an account since long before our first cruise (1 years ago) which we have both used before i joined today with regard to meet and mingles and finding out information about cruising. The boards have been great in finding out information about things we didnt know.

Don't get me wrong I love RC and will cruise with them many times more. But not everything is as good as what it would be. If you really want to know I think RC do about 99.7% of everything spot on. Just a few things I wished they would improve, but it wont stop me from cruising again.

I would never argue that RCI is perfect, but neither would I start a thread about 5 things I hate!

Maybe 5 minor inconveniences?

I hate war, plague, poverty, injustice, bad macaroni and cheese and bad grammar.

I am inconvenienced by slow internet, etc.

Although just barely.

What's the macaroni and cheese like on the ship?

Mine are

1. The internet.

.As a 20 year IT professional, this doesn't bother me, I want nothing to do wih cell phones, the internet, or pagers. But I understand those that need it.

4. Photos on Board

I agree with your sentiment. Digital would definitely be better for the environment. Not sure if any thing from a photo print is recyclable.

5. Deck 7

What ship was this?

Better air prices, they should be able to command better airfares.

Would like to be able to buy liquor in the duty free to consume in stateroom.

Would like to be able to hear the captains announcements, never seem to be able hear when your in the outside public areas.

I believe you can hear the public announcements in the cabin by turning on and/or adjusting the volume control up for the speaker inside the cabin. That's what I recall from my previous RC cruises. On our last cruise, Radiance, the control was just under the cabin thermostat and bathroom light switch to the right of the bathroom (left hinged) door. Of if your cabin has a right hinged door it would be to the left.

I hate that, unless you go to the windjammer on radiance class ships, cafe lattetudes charges you for regular coffee...and you can't get cookies free, you have to buy a beverage...so i had to go to WJ...no biggie but i think it is ridiculous....plus, they didn't have the yummy coconut cookies in WJ until day 5 or 6 of a 7 day cruise. Our headwaiter got them for us in the dining room...but i think it is silly to charge for something on one place you get free someplace else....at least you don't have this problem in cafe Promenade.

that's the only thing that really annoys me.....that and they make you get off the ship!

they aren't perfect but they are far from horrible too!

I believe you can hear the public announcements in the cabin by turning on and/or adjusting the volume control up for the speaker inside the cabin. That's what I recall from my previous RC cruises. On our last cruise, Radiance, the control was just under the cabin thermostat and bathroom light switch to the right of the bathroom (left hinged) door. Of if your cabin has a right hinged door it would be to the left.

I didn't know you had "outside public areas" INSIDE your cabin!!!!!:D

I see you just joined today. Always find it interesting when first posts are complaints.

Never said they were perfect. I just said there is nothing I hate, I guess I'm just not as picky as some.

Using your mandated etiquette, how many post should he have waited to start this thread. Not picky? If you don't count threads you don't like I guess.

Steelers fans!:rolleyes:

Well ... that's how they recoup the "sitting" fee with the backdrops. Luckily, people who want them are the only ones that have to buy them.

And you believe the cheesy backdrop that has been used 10,000 times plus warrants the 20 bucks. I got some photos I'd like to sell you for half the price. If one wants to buy them fine, I just don't think there anywhere worth the cost. I do much better with my own Digital SLR !:D

Archived