What amount do people REALLY tip?

fenreed

I'd would like to take the opportunity to dispel the idea that onboard tipping is an invention of the American Cruise Lines. I cruised Cunard when it was still British owned--in the 60's and 70' long--before it's Kvaerner and Carnival days. Gratuity envelopes were left in our cabins the night before our last day at sea. The announcements also advised that should be need additional envelopes, they were available at the Purser' desk. Also, if I remember correctly, the disembarkation meeting, included a short segment on Cunard's "suggested" tipping guidelines.

I have never cruised before but why does everyone go on about tipping all the time. People get paid to do a job and they should make your trip enjoyable surely thats part of there job.Dont be bullied into tipping just because its expected. Spend your hard earned money on yourself and have a good time. And yes im English.

Non-tipping cultures may wonder why don't owners of the establishments in tipping cultures just pay the service personel enough so that customers do not have to tip? I do not know why, but that is just the way it works. You cannot change this, you just need to abide by the rules.

The people who are serving you on the ship are doing it for tips. To not tip them is the same as stealing part of their paycheck. I am sure that I will get flamed for that statement, but that is how I feel. Tips on an US based cruise ship are part of the cost of going. If you cannot afford the whole price, then do not go.

KS&JW - I heartily agree with your response, even if it wasn't specifically responding to c legs. It galls me to hear people from "non-tipping" cultures refuse to tip the staff "because it isn't done in OUR country". They know the situation and still refuse to tip. Whether the cruise lines *should* be paying their staff a higher wage isn't the issue at the point of service. They are only hurting the staff who have worked hard for them in expectation of being rewarded (or not if the service is terrible) for their work. We are talking about the people who in good faith have provided excellent service, not the justice of cruise line economics.

I cruise on HAL and have never even been tempted to not give tips in addition to the auto-tip. Knowing the pay situation, I willing "pay part of the staff's salary" directly to them. My issues with the cruise lines' pay policies have nothing to do with the staff's just compensation.

daI, there is just no way you can compare being an educator with a wait person. of course the tipping subject comes up at least once a month on these boards and always the same responses.

Nita

WHY

Each has the right to be paid for what he/she is worth and should not have to relt on the generosity of customers. Any 'tip' should be a bonus.

:):)Happy cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

This topic has certainly made for a lively debate about different cultures and how it affects the tipping world. Whatever happened to "doing as the Romans do when in Rome." When my family travels to Europe and other parts of the world, it's simple...we follow the customs regarding tipping in that particular country. We would be embarrassed to not be doing otherwise. I really don't understand why this concept is so difficult to accept. Are people from the British Isles and the continent not grasping this?

If you have read my post you would have seen that this is what I do and others , but not all.

The question refers to cruising which takes place world wide scale, so we should take the tipping practice of the country we depart from:confused::confused:

:)Happy Cruising:)

Dai

No one can change your mind and tipping is a pesonal thing, but I have to disagree with you when you say "many who don't tip" other than Brits, I bet 75% or more give the recommended amount. What about the 10% that is added to the bills in England which is referred to as a service charge? What is the difference? Most cruise lines have gone with the $10 per day policy, which is far less than 15% if you just consider what you would pay for your meal on land, just dinner alone.

Nita

Nita at no point did I state "many who don't tip other than Brits" (Please Re read). I commented that many other crew members who keep the ship up & running do not receive tips to carry out their duties. I will always object to auto tipping as I see this as an added stealth charge. If Cruise Companies want to to go down the route of Mandatory Gratuities, as some are already doing, lets have the agreed price for the cruise & forget the tipping argument. A further thought, I cruised from Singapore on 2 occasions in the late nineties On Star Cruises. The service & hospitality was of the highest order, well above the majority of many the popular cruise lines of today.At the time TIPPING WAS NOT ALLOWED.

Very few cruisers from Europe have any knowledge of this board.

Very few cruisers have any knowledge of the slave labour practices of some of the major cruises lines.

I had stated that we tip to salve my conscience.

I do this in the US also, because the thought of someone working for me earning $2.50 an hour with no healthcare pension etc upsets us.

At the present I have to return to Miami for 24days in Jan again I doubt that we will take a cruise on RCL and certainly not on Carnival.

On our last cruise there was a family from the UK he was an Airline pilot it was his first Cruise, he had been speaking to some hotel staff, and was incensed that he was taking part in a holiday were people have to pay the cruise line agent a $2000 sign on to get a job that pays $50 for a 28 day working month of 14 to 18 hr days but it was a good tipping job, and that the contract they had, stated that any dispute had to be taken to arbitration and cost split 50/50, a good idear you may think, until you find that the nearest arbitration court to Miami is in London, the do not have one in the US.

So if you are a Brit and you use these lines Tip well.

On the teacher part my wife the ex maitre d learned 6 languages to help her, help passengers some of whom to quote her, she would like to teach how to use a knife and fork, and say please and thank you with a big stick.

Most waiters have 2 or more languages how many have you?

My wife wants to ask this question, do you think as it would appear that a tip no matter how large made her or her colleagues like passengers,

She would answer, no it was for her to be treated with respect, but she worked then for celeb and was on a salary.

This topic has certainly made for a lively debate about different cultures and how it affects the tipping world. Whatever happened to "doing as the Romans do when in Rome." When my family travels to Europe and other parts of the world, it's simple...we follow the customs regarding tipping in that particular country. We would be embarrassed to not be doing otherwise. I really don't understand why this concept is so difficult to accept. Are people from the British Isles and the continent not grasping this?

I would like to dispel the myth that the Brits don't tip. I think you'll find most of us do adopt the attitude when in Rome etc & tip accordingly. Not to the extent of $100 here & $50 there as some cruisers appear to do, we simply cannot afford to tip on that scale. I have only travelled to the States once & cruised once, but on each occasson have tipped accordingly. As a general rule though we travel in Europe. Prices are higher & tips are not expected. We sometimes tip anyway, depending on place, occason etc, but in this case it will only be a couple of euros. I think you will find it's more the French, Italian, Spanish, German etc who don't tip. We British are a strange lot, one foot in Europe & one foot outside.;)

Using the example of the Cunard line is a different matter altogether. Until recent years, perhaps 10-15, cruising has been out of reach for most Brits apart from the rich, who I suspect were your typical original Cunard passengers. They have a different tipping regime to the rest of us mere mortals.:) I suspect they were also following the lead of other cruise lines, typically American, operating at this time.

PS. How do you multiquote? :confused:

I'm sorry my original question raised such a furore, but I thank you all again for responses.

I have no problem whatsoever regarding the award of a tip, it was merely the average amount of tip given that I was trying to obtain.

So, let's consider an example for your cabin steward. The Cunard line suggest US$11 per person, per day being given to that worker for the duration of your trip.

OK, so in our case that will be US$22 per day (there are 2 of us) x 16 days. That is $352. If somebody else comes and stays in that cabin served by the same steward for the rest of that month, and assuming that the same steward will get a few days off per month, that will then be, say on average, another 10 days at $22 per day, which is $220. If we now combine the two amounts the sum for that one cabin per month is $572. That by the way is $6864 a year.

Now, this steward has more than one cabin to service, I don't know how many, shall we say 10? We are now in the region of $68640 per year, plus of course his/her meagre $2.50 per hour the cruise line is paying in wages as you who know these things point out.

So $2.50 X 14 hours per day x 25 days per month x 12 months = another $10500.

That dear friends, both this side and the other side of the Pond, is $79140.

If we also take into account that our fictitious steward enjoys free board and lodging, and most likely medical care, then it's not a bad job at all, is it?

No, I'm not discussing whether to tip or not to tip, (that is NOT the question, ha! ha!) I'm merely trying to discuss what is fair and reasonable for the task being performed. I understand that the majority of the posters here will gladly tip more than the recommended amount (because they say they do), but, I still think $11 per cruiser, per cabin, per day, per steward is a lot of money. Or have I misinterpreted the whole thing? Is what is really meant by the $11 is that you each give the steward $11 (making a total of $22) at the end of your trip?

Plus of course a little extra for "additional services" if so decided.

There, I've tried to make my point as clear as I can.

Perhaps if I'd have said in my original post "how much money does a couple generally give their steward at the end of the cruise," I may have been better understood!

If you still decide to help me after I've lost you the will to live, the next question will be "how much money do you, as couple, give to your table waiter at the end of your cruise?"

Phew! Must pour a large gin and tonic now whilst I await responses.

Fenreed

Gin & tonic at this time of day.:eek: ..& here's me existing on coffee!

I can't answer your question being a mere Brit as I would probably appear very mean & have got it wrong. We tipped in Euros(between 10 or 20 each I think) on our last cruise (Baltic)..the cabin stewards, the wine steward, our waiter & Head waiter. I think my husband also gave something to the girl who regularly served us in the bar.

I think the auto tip is shared between all the crew. Our steward told us he typically received 2 euros from the auto tip.....hence my husband tipping separately.:)

Last time I looked, tipping was a "PERSONAL" matter...I resent the "auto" tip policy but it has become a fact of life for whatever reason, and there are many...How much a staff employee earns thru tips or ordinary pay is "NO" business of mine as I'm sure my earnings are none of their business...

Before going on a cruise I figure the tips X 2 for a cap and tip between the stated tip or up to twice that amount for remarkable service..So for a 7 day cruise @ $20 daily per couple equals $140 minimum X 2 equals $280 maximum..

We also like to tip someone who is out of the tip chain for doing something that makes our cruise special, like a pool attendant or musision...And we also carry some new 1 dollar bills for drink service and room service....

In the 30 plus cruises we have taken, not one cruise staff member has taken exception with a minimum tip or acknowledged a larger tip....All have been graciously recieved.....

Again: this is our "personal policy" and we respect "your personal policy".

I'm sorry my original question raised such a furore, but I thank you all again for responses.

I have no problem whatsoever regarding the award of a tip, it was merely the average amount of tip given that I was trying to obtain.

So, let's consider an example for your cabin steward. The Cunard line suggest US$11 per person, per day being given to that worker for the duration of your trip.

OK, so in our case that will be US$22 per day (there are 2 of us) x 16 days. That is $352. If somebody else comes and stays in that cabin served by the same steward for the rest of that month, and assuming that the same steward will get a few days off per month, that will then be, say on average, another 10 days at $22 per day, which is $220. If we now combine the two amounts the sum for that one cabin per month is $572. That by the way is $6864 a year.

Now, this steward has more than one cabin to service, I don't know how many, shall we say 10? We are now in the region of $68640 per year, plus of course his/her meagre $2.50 per hour the cruise line is paying in wages as you who know these things point out.

So $2.50 X 14 hours per day x 25 days per month x 12 months = another $10500.

That dear friends, both this side and the other side of the Pond, is $79140.

If we also take into account that our fictitious steward enjoys free board and lodging, and most likely medical care, then it's not a bad job at all, is it?

No, I'm not discussing whether to tip or not to tip, (that is NOT the question, ha! ha!) I'm merely trying to discuss what is fair and reasonable for the task being performed. I understand that the majority of the posters here will gladly tip more than the recommended amount (because they say they do), but, I still think $11 per cruiser, per cabin, per day, per steward is a lot of money. Or have I misinterpreted the whole thing? Is what is really meant by the $11 is that you each give the steward $11 (making a total of $22) at the end of your trip?

Plus of course a little extra for "additional services" if so decided.

There, I've tried to make my point as clear as I can.

Perhaps if I'd have said in my original post "how much money does a couple generally give their steward at the end of the cruise," I may have been better understood!

If you still decide to help me after I've lost you the will to live, the next question will be "how much money do you, as couple, give to your table waiter at the end of your cruise?"

Phew! Must pour a large gin and tonic now whilst I await responses.

Fenreed

I dont think you understood my piont so I will reiterate.

$2.50 an hour is the amount that is payed to a waitress in Outback a chain of steak houses in the US were the minimum wage of $5.50 an hrs does not apply because of tips.

A waiter will pay an agent $2000 fee to get the job for a six months contract in the dining room, not self service,

His or her day will start at 5.30 am and end at 12pm if there is no midnight buffet, a bar waiter longer hrs so that is 12.5 hrsx7=87.5x4=350 hrs a month for $50 a month +tips now you can do your calculations ., and remember not everyone tips kind regards

Fenreed

This is where the confusion may be. The suggested amount is divided among the cabin steward, your waiter and your assistant waiter and various other behind the scene staff members.

Cabin Steward: $3.50 - $4.00 per person per day

Waiter: $3.00 - $4.00 per person per day

Assistant waiter: $1.50 to $2.50 per person per day

Maitre d': $5.00 to $10.00 per each special service

This is where the confusion may be. The suggested amount is divided among the cabin steward, your waiter and your assistant waiter and various other behind the scene staff members.

Cabin Steward: $3.50 - $4.00 per person per day

Waiter: $3.00 - $4.00 per person per day

Assistant waiter: $1.50 to $2.50 per person per day

Maitre d': $5.00 to $10.00 per each special service

Now put that way it is less than we pay on P&O:eek:. It is certainly less than the recommended.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

dai

We're off on the new Queen Victoria for 16 nights over Christmas, and require some advice please re gratuities.

The 'recommended' amounts for gratuities seem quite excessive. Considering that 15% will be added to our bill for all the alcohol we plan to drink (which will be quite a bit), what do other experienced cruisers think is a reasonable total amount for a gratuity to our:-

Steward

Table waiter/s

What I mean is, despite 'cruise information' suggesting that US$11 per passenger per day, to be given to the above staff, what do the majority of cruisers ACTUALLY give?

And whilst I'm on the subject, why do people give money to the Maitre'd. What do these guys actually do anyway?

Fenreed

I find it hard to believe that you are actually asking this question.

Your room steward will spend the entire time you are on the ship at your beck and call, he/she will provide everything you ask for, more pillows, blankets, more towels, more ice, etc. etc., provide turn down service every night, etc.

The Maitre'd is responsible for setting up the dining room properly, are you sitting at the size table you requested, with whom you requested, at the time you requested, etc. Suppose you end up next to a table with the guests from hell and would like to be moved? The Maitre'd will be responsible to finding a suitable table to accommodate you and whomever you are sitting with, etc. The Maitre'd has to constantly juggle tables and quests to please everyone - a very hard job - pleasing everyone!

Your waiter and assistant waiter: Every evening you will have a dinner equal to a dinner in a 5 star restaurant, 4-5 courses. In an on land restaurant probably would cost you both, on average at least $125.00, so that would be a $25.00 tip if you tipped dinner alone each day.

Plus these waiters work the breakfast and lunch buffets.

So what does everyone else pay - WELL we pay the minimum PLUS we pay our waiter and assistant waiter and addition amount AND we pay our room attendant and additional amount. When you sail and cruise line like Cunard it IS expected that you have the good manners and training to know about proper etiquette and tipping. If you begrudge tipping you usually sail cruise lines such as Carnival, where the service is terrible anyway.

Your room steward will spend the entire time you are on the ship at your beck and call, he/she will provide everything you ask for, more pillows, blankets, more towels, more ice, etc. etc., provide turn down service every night, etc.

The Maitre'd is responsible for setting up the dining room properly, are you sitting at the size table you requested, with whom you requested, at the time you requested, etc. Suppose you end up next to a table with the guests from hell and would like to be moved? The Maitre'd will be responsible to finding a suitable table to accommodate you and whomever you are sitting with, etc. The Maitre'd has to constantly juggle tables and quests to please everyone - a very hard job - pleasing everyone!

Your waiter and assistant waiter: Every evening you will have a dinner equal to a dinner in a 5 star restaurant, 4-5 courses. In an on land restaurant probably would cost you both, on average at least $125.00, so that would be a $25.00 tip if you tipped dinner alone each day.

Plus these waiters work the breakfast and lunch buffets.

So what does everyone else pay - WELL we pay the minimum PLUS we pay our waiter and assistant waiter and addition amount AND we pay our room attendant and additional amount. When you sail and cruise line like Cunard it IS expected that you have the good manners and training to know about proper etiquette and tipping. If you begrudge tipping you usually sail cruise lines such as Carnival, where the service is terrible anyway.

I agree with all you say apart from the service on carnival, we will never cruise with carnival again, once was enough for a lot of reasons, but service was not one of them, as my wife started her cruise life with Celebrity as a maitre d, she judged the service as very good, it was the product that the served that was terrible. kind regardsPs if you ask your steward what he or she finds most disgusting that they find in bathrooms on change over, you get an even worse dimention to your comments

forensic

You clearly have not read this thread! The OP is a new cruiser from the UK where tipping is not as common as in the US.

I find your response arrogant.

Please have the common courtesy to read a thread before answering in such a manner.

Dai.

Wow! My original post certainly lit the blue touch paper with this one. Yes, I stated we pay about half the tipping rate i.e. If the rate for a table waiter is

$3.50 per day, on a ten day cruise we would give $35 as a couple, not as an individual. I've noted the arguments about the low wages these guys receive, but this is a matter for them to address with their multi million dollar employers. While people are prepared to double ,and in some cases, add even larger tips, their employers are laughing all the way to the bank. Yes by paying staff a proper rate for the job the cost of cruising would increase, but it will never reach the level it was in the 60's & 70's when cruising truly was for the privileged. If auto tipping does become a "mandatory" inclusion then I'm OK with that, providing the total price is shown as just that and not an added extra. If nothing else this has sparked a good response and I look forward to the next battle with you all, Regards Wilba.

forensic

You clearly have not read this thread! The OP is a new cruiser from the UK where tipping is not as common as in the US.

I find your response arrogant.

Please have the common courtesy to read a thread before answering in such a manner.

Dai.

Dai mate I understand your responce, but I think she is trying to say, It is not a question of max or min tips, it should be based on how you would expect to be tipped if you did the job, her heart does seem to be in the right place. kind regards

We have only done one other cruise, a 5n on RCCL EOS. We gave our room steward $25. Our Maitre D we gave $20... our Head Waiter we gave $40 and our assistant waiter we gave $35. We tipped above the recommended because we felt they deserved it. We were "supposed" to tip $9.75 pp/per day.

While what you give is totally up to you, you should know you stiffed your cabin attendant for $10.00, did he or she do a few things wrong?

Your Head Waiter got $12.50 extra, the clear winner in this sweepstakes. Your waiter got an extra $5.00 over the suggested amount. Your assistant waiter came out ahead $15.00. I am assuming the tips paid were on behalf of two people?

When you add it all up, out of your 4 main service providers, the Head Waiter received a wopping 166% over the suggested amount, you stiffed your cabin attendant for 28.5% of the suggested amout, your waiter got an extra 14.2% and your assistant waiter received an extra 75%. In total dollars the suggested amount for 2 people is $97.50, you paid $120.00, for an overall extra 23% - very generous of you. I am curious about your tipping pattern? :)

Yes by paying staff a proper rate for the job the cost of cruising would increase, but it will never reach the level it was in the 60's & 70's when cruising truly was for the privileged. If auto tipping does become a "mandatory" inclusion then I'm OK with that, providing the total price is shown as just that and not an added extra. If nothing else this has sparked a good response and I look forward to the next battle with you all, Regards Wilba.

It would EASILY reach the prices of years gone by. If the cruise lines paid a higher wage and NO tips, they would be subject to all kinds of government regulations in many countries for "salaried" employees. The price of cruising would be beyond reach of many.

Compare the price of a Seabourn, Silversea or other "inclusive" cruise (tips and booze included) cruise against the same type accommodations on a premium cruise line (Oceania, Celebrity, HAL). Usually about 2 times the cost. Compare to the mass market lines for the same accommodations and the price is about 3 times more.

The cost of cruising would not increase ONLY by the dollar amount of tips added to the cruise price. You have changed the entire tipped employee category to "salaried" or "hourly wage" employees. And the cruise lines (and you) will pay dearly for that change.

I have tried to justify the cost of a luxury cruise (no tipping, free booze) three or four times. And we would have to drink an awful lot of booze to offset the additional price. The tips hardly made a dent in the cost difference.

Well, I received my Cunard information pack today! Amazing, a box 12" square by 4" deep. Inside was one A4 envelope 1/2" thick. All the way from IL, USA by DHL, posted 17th and arrived today! In the UK it can take 3 days for a single letter to get from one side of the country to the other! Anyway, I digress....

In the information book, there it was................... "$11 per person per day will be added automatically to your shipboard account on a daily basis"

So we've no option I suppose, this must be what posters refer to as 'auto-tipping' I should think!

When USA posters say they then tip $5, $10 or whatever, I presume they mean this amount per couple per day. And when UK folks say they tip £20 - £30 at the end of the cruise, all this is in addition to the mandatory 'auto-tip' then?

Seams a strange way of operating to me. If the council truck comes to empty your waste bin back home in the USA, do you give them a tip then? (I know it's thread drift but this is an education to me)

Fenreed

• Administrators
Well, I received my Cunard information pack today! Amazing, a box 12" square by 4" deep. Inside was one A4 envelope 1/2" thick. All the way from IL, USA by DHL, posted 17th and arrived today! In the UK it can take 3 days for a single letter to get from one side of the country to the other! Anyway, I digress....

In the information book, there it was................... "$11 per person per day will be added automatically to your shipboard account on a daily basis"

So we've no option I suppose, this must be what posters refer to as 'auto-tipping' I should think!

When USA posters say they then tip $5, $10 or whatever, I presume they mean this amount per couple per day. And when UK folks say they tip £20 - £30 at the end of the cruise, all this is in addition to the mandatory 'auto-tip' then?

Seams a strange way of operating to me. If the council truck comes to empty your waste bin back home in the USA, do you give them a tip then? (I know it's thread drift but this is an education to me)

Fenreed

Very interesting! I hadn't heard that Cunard had adopted the "auto tips" (yes, that's what that is). That is the appropriate tip amount, for the entire cruise, then -- anything extra you leave would be discretionary. I wonder if Cunard (like some other lines) divides that tip pool among more than the "standard tipees" (steward, dining room staff) -- several lines include general housekeeping, kitchen and buffet staff, and a few other areas in pooled tips.

To answer your question at the end there, no I don't tip the garbage truck employees every time they empty the bins -- but we do tip them at Christmas (along with the mailman, paper delivery person, etc.). I wouldn't say most Americans do that, but many do.

Last time I looked, tipping was a "PERSONAL" matter...I resent the "auto" tip policy but it has become a fact of life for whatever reason, and there are many...How much a staff employee earns thru tips or ordinary pay is "NO" business of mine as I'm sure my earnings are none of their business...

Before going on a cruise I figure the tips X 2 for a cap and tip between the stated tip or up to twice that amount for remarkable service..So for a 7 day cruise @ $20 daily per couple equals $140 minimum X 2 equals $280 maximum..

We also like to tip someone who is out of the tip chain for doing something that makes our cruise special, like a pool attendant or musision...And we also carry some new 1 dollar bills for drink service and room service....

In the 30 plus cruises we have taken, not one cruise staff member has taken exception with a minimum tip or acknowledged a larger tip....All have been graciously recieved.....

Again: this is our "personal policy" and we respect "your personal policy".

I understand your reasoning, many of us like to tip individually, but there are several reasons policies are being changed: First and upmost is the fact many passengers do not think tipping is important and stiff the crew. 2-it is so much easier not to have to worry about correct money denomination, evalopes etc and third, many lines are not switching to some form of flexible cble dining, if one chooses to opt for flexiible dining the usual manner of tipping the wait staff becomes impossible.

I dont think you understood my piont so I will reiterate.

$2.50 an hour is the amount that is payed to a waitress in Outback a chain of steak houses in the US were the minimum wage of $5.50 an hrs does not apply because of tips.

A waiter will pay an agent $2000 fee to get the job for a six months contract in the dining room, not self service,

His or her day will start at 5.30 am and end at 12pm if there is no midnight buffet, a bar waiter longer hrs so that is 12.5 hrsx7=87.5x4=350 hrs a month for $50 a month +tips now you can do your calculations ., and remember not everyone tips kind regards

I think Fenreed is not realizing how many people get part of the $11 nor is he considering the crew members do not work 12 months in a row, they usually sign 6-10 month contracts and then have at least 2 months off with no pay, but again when people get their mind set on something we are all wasting our time trying to change them. they only see it one way.

Nita

Archived