Nile River Cruise

Anubi

After extensive research, tripadvisor, cruise critic, etc., we chose Moon Goddess several months ago and leave for Egypt & Dubai on 1/23. I have continued to look at various forums for tips for this ship. All have been positive. Now, 3 days before I leave, I find a negative review. Serves me right for being so obsessive and continuing to read boards. Any additional tips for ship would be appreciated, besides not eating or drinking. Tips like what might be a good cabin (and how to secure it), what tours from ship are not worth it (if any). We are traveling independently so no tour representative nearby to help.

Well, since I was the author of the negative review .....

Many people I talked to while in Egypt became sick regardless of which boat they were on. The good news is that the boat's manager is an M.D. so if you do get sick, help is right there 24-hours a day.

I've talked to people who were on the ship in the past and they, too, were surprised at my comments on the food. Perhaps there was a new cook on-board... who knows?

The cabins (except, I think, for two suites) are all the same. I don't think it makes very much difference which one you are in. When the ship is docked there will likely be other ships tied up beside the Moon Goddess so all you see out the balcony is someone else's cabin about 4 feet away. There are no elevators on the ship (layout from bottom to top is: 1) dining room; 2) entry area with some cabins; 3) cabins; 4) bar with some cabins; 5) open deck.

There is a mini-safe in each cabin. I have no idea how secure it is as I kept my valuables on my person. I can tell you that no one on the cruise had anything missing nor do anyone on cruse immediately preceding mine (per about 12 passengers from that cruise I met at Abu Simbel the day they left and the day I joined the boat).

Service on board was friendly if not all that professional. The wait staff is a little weak in English (but not as weak as I am in Arabic) so occasionally someone would get something other than they ordered. No big deal and always solved with a smile. The front desk staff are more than friendly (particularly Tony who has a wicked sense of humor). Everyone on board really tries very hard to help.

Paul

Most tours were included -- perhaps this varies by the cruise date --- with the same tour guide serving people who booked through different tour companies (one for Spanish speakers and one for English -- but there were not very many passengers on the boat). The only tours not included were Sound & Light shows in the evening. The guides provided by the boat were fine.

Thanks for additional info for cruise.

All tours are included in our cruise price. There are so many. It seems they have you going from morning to night. Just wondered if just relaxing on the ship might be a better alternative to any of the tours. Probably will do it all anyway just because I don't want to miss anything.

I read on tripadvisor that the right side of the boat would be better if you managed to be the boat on the outside. Not exactly sure what it means.

Also it was suggested rear was better because of disco in front.

Trip starting in 48 hours. First stop Dubai. All sounds too unreal.

Thanks for additional info for cruise.

All tours are included in our cruise price. There are so many. It seems they have you going from morning to night. Just wondered if just relaxing on the ship might be a better alternative to any of the tours. Probably will do it all anyway just because I don't want to miss anything.

I read on tripadvisor that the right side of the boat would be better if you managed to be the boat on the outside. Not exactly sure what it means.

Also it was suggested rear was better because of disco in front.

Trip starting in 48 hours. First stop Dubai. All sounds too unreal.

when the ship is moving the back is much worse. The Disco(music) never bothered me and I was two rooms from the center. You know some cruises go up the river and some down so being on the right is a generalization that makes little sense. Most people when it moving go to the top and don't stay in the room.

• 3 months later...
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AbsWrRu1ctGa2

Did I get some bargains? yes did I overpay probably yes by a few dollars...nothing that will effect me. I have been to China and Turkey as well where the bargaining was the same(and in Istanbul someone wanted 10 Euros for a shoe shine- fal mis mis. I bargained the one at the Market in Cairo down to 5 le's and then gave him 10.)- but I must tell you we were there two weeks one week by our selves and the tipping/baksheesh issue I found no problem at all, and I enjoy a good negotiation.

The pictures are fantastic -- thanks for posting them!

I know bargaining is a way of life there, but I always feel so guilty doing it! If I overpay a bit, I'm fine with that.

here's another option for a nile cruise - try Bales Worldwide in the UK. They have three very small boat - large feluccas, really. They only take 12 passengers in 6 doubles and are able to tie up on private moorings and on little islands for the night. There is no doubt that one of the big issues with most people on the Nile are the large boats tying up alongside each other. With the Bales dahabiyyas this is a non-event! Also since there are only 12 pax, the tour group is correspondingly small.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

we're going on same nile trip in about 1 1/2 month. Am concerned regarding appropriate (ie per Egyptian culture) dress for men and women. Also, we were told to bring little "gifts" to give to people who host us...what is appropriate?

• 3 weeks later...

we're booked on GCT's M/S Anuket, leaving Feb 28. We're also doing the Jordan extension, so if anyone else is on that trip, let me know!

As far as clothing, I used to live in the desert in Australia and in Saudi Arabia and my recommendation is no man made fibers! I googled "Cotton gauze" and purchased several outfits from various online catalogs such as silhouettes, roamans, etc. I was lucky enough to find many loose drawstring pants, tunics, etc that I will be able to layer with tanks or short sleeved tops for the cooler areas such as Cairo.

Has anybody ever used the Peace Corps method for dealing with intestinal problems in other countries? We have and it worked for us. It is 2 Pepto Bismo (or the like but the Peace Corps specifically mentions Pepto) 4 times a day; 2 at breakfast, 2 at lunch, 2 at dinner and 2 before bed for your entire trip. Also for viral use the hand sanitizer BUT not just the hands; after placing in hands and rubbing-pat your ears, nose and CLOSED mouth. This comes from a pediatrician. Also for those who are willing (I was and did not get sick) they now have a gel for the nose that I can only find at Eckerds or whatever they are called now. It did however make me sneeze initially just don't put it in your nose very far and you may wish to do it in private as you look...well you understand.

Good luck, enjoy, this is my dream cruise. Therefore haven't gone to Egypt yet, just dreaming so far.

Archived