Towel Animals on longer Cruises

The last cruise I took was a 13 day long cruise in the Mediterranean. Based on postings here, the first day, I said "HI" to the cabin steward and tried to casually suggest that I LOVE towel animals and would like to have them daily. (I think I said something like "Oh...heard about towel animals, really look forward to having them, they'd be extra special...") I read that if you expressed how much you wanted them and implied that there'd be a tip involved, you could get more of them.

To that, she responded "Towel animals start on day 6!" and walked off And indeed, they promptly started on day 6. And they were quite nice towel animals. She was ALWAYS friendly throughout the entire cruise, except at the suggestion of extra towel animals!

I was in an inside cabin (not a special room) and I was ok with 6 towel animals - would have loved more.

Is there some rule about when Towel Animals start? I took Towel Animal class and it does seem that they have to get the towels out of the dryer at the right moment, etc so that they will dry to a firm animal. Does this mean that towel animals can only be done on days when all cabin stewards are doing them????

Is it rude to suggest that you want more towel animals? Does everyone get the same animal on the same day?

One other thing...I noticed that the Caribbean cruises get things like Stingrays and swans. I didn't get such animals in the Med...ok, maybe they're not matching the theme of the cruise. So...what types of animals do you get on a transatlantic?????

Perhaps because they use many extra towels and this increases the work load of the laundry workers and the amount of water and detergent used, they try to keep the numbers down. :confused:

The towel animals are sweet but I wouldn't mind if they skipped my cabin.

Perhaps because they use many extra towels and this increases the work load of the laundry workers and the amount of water and detergent used, they try to keep the numbers down. :confused:

The towel animals are sweet but I wouldn't mind if they skipped my cabin.

The cabin attendants always used towels from my room's normal allotment to make the animals. I'd have to kill an animal to be able to dry off.

I also love the towel animals. Do they make them up before hand and then bring them to the cabins or do they do them in the cabins? I have never seen them on the carts so just thought they were done on the spot (which would take some time!). I don't remember on what days ours started on our previous cruises. I have seen pictures of the ones with the blanket so it looks like a person. We haven't had one of those yet. I also like how they arrange the pillows and my kids stuffed animals. Very cute.

I heard through the grapevine, that towel animals may be eliminated altogether. It seems that a number of passengers have complained about the squawking, howling, growling and roaring of all those animals running around the ship!:)

I heard that the towel animals may be eliminated altogether. Apparently a number of passengers have complained about the squawking, howling, growling and roaring of all those animals running around the ship late at night!:eek:

I heard that the towel animals may be eliminated altogether. Apparently a number of passengers have complained about the squawking, howling, growling and roaring of all those animals running around the ship late at night!:eek:

Thanks for the chuckle, I needed that this afternoon.

Maybe they don't have enough different animals for a 13 day cruise. :)

They might have to resort to . . . . worm, snake, eel, caterpillar . . . .

I have seen some pictures on the boards with some pretty interesting creations. Some look more like anatomy than animals! Guess it just takes a sick mind to see something like that or a few too many drinks!!!

The cabin attendants always used towels from my room's normal allotment to make the animals. I'd have to kill an animal to be able to dry off.

Mine too. I hated dismantling the critters, but necessity stuck its ugly head in!

On my last cruise, our cabin attendant was evidently the ship's expert - she was the one who taught the Towel Animal class! I don't remember her saying they had to be fresh out of the dryer, though.

My kids kept borrowing towels from our room so they didn't have to kill any of their creatures. They had them lined up along the top of the couch and would add the new ones each night, they were too funny. They are 19 and 21.

That's interesting because I can remember having a few towel animals lined up on the back of the couch and still having plenty of towels for personal use.

Ahh, but you are not dealing with my daughter who we affectionately call the towel queen, my poor son was lucky if he got any!:rolleyes:

That's interesting because I can remember having a few towel animals lined up on the back of the couch and still having plenty of towels for personal use.

Sadly, the procedure I now employ is that upon the discovery of a towel animal:

1. Take obligatory picture
  2. Dismantle
  3. Make sure towel inventory is correct for next shower

I've killed so many elephants and swans due to this procedure. :(

We had a Royal family suite for the 14 Day Alaska member cruise, and as above poster stated the towel animals didn't start until around day 7, but we only got one animal for the two bedrooms, each night the steward would alternate the animal to the other bedroom. We had, a starfish, dolphin, elephant, swan and that's all I remember.

Are the towel animals made fresh daily? Or is there a stash on board the ship and they reuse them week after week? Somewhere else on these boards I read a post from somebody saying the cruise lines reuse the towel animals week after week, so you'd get towels that somebody else had in their room (eww!). After I heard that, I definitely didn't want towel animals, cute as they look! But if they are made fresh, I think I'd want them. :)

Maybe they don't have enough different animals for a 13 day cruise. :)

They might have to resort to . . . . worm, snake, eel, caterpillar . . . .

I got a snake eating the previous day's rabbit's head once. The rest of the rabbit was dismantled. It was on a 7-night cruise so I guess they hadn't run out of other critters yet - just being different.

Just had to respond to the suggestion that towel animals are reused. I don't know if that's actually true or not, but I doubt it.

1. If this were true, frequent cruisers would report a cart full of animals being delivered and collected every night.

2. If it were true, why go through the trouble of "remaking" those animals that were destroyed to use as a towel? Wouldn't it be easier to just put a stuffed animal on your bed every night then pick it up to reuse the next week with the next cruiser?

3. If it were true, why go through the ruse of teaching the passengers how to make them and pretend that they make them all every day and tell us about how you can only make them with freshly dried towels with a certain moisture content so that when they fully dried, they would be "crisp"?

4. I would think that "reused" animals would have makeup, dirt and other stuff (use your imagination) on them, based on the pictures of people hugging and posing with their towel animals. Wouldn't that "give it away"?

5. Where in the world would they store 7 days worth of towel animals and how could they keep them all clean???? If they didn't want to switch to stuffed animals, I would think they'd at least pin or glue the towels to reduce the possibility of them falling apart. Clearly, they aren't pinned or glued because other posters reported using them as a towel.

Please don't burst my bubble!!! Those animals have to be custom made each day...fresh from the hot dryer...

Archived