We must be crazy!

We are booking a cruise between Thanksgiving and Christmas 2008, because our son-in-law is in the army and gets his leave then. In fact we'll get home 5 days before Christmas. The holiday season is hectic enough without adding a cruise to the equation. Are we nuts? Can someone with experience give us some do's and don'ts?

I go the week after Thanksgiving every year. It's less expensive. Like you, in 2008 I'm actually going a bit later and get back a week before Christmas.

The good news is you have more than a year to start making your lists (for the cruise and Christmas). You have plenty of time to make plans, buy gifts, etc. Start now and by the time your cruise rolls around next year, you shouldn't have anything left to do:D

We are booking a cruise between Thanksgiving and Christmas 2008, because our son-in-law is in the army and gets his leave then. In fact we'll get home 5 days before Christmas. The holiday season is hectic enough without adding a cruise to the equation. Are we nuts? Can someone with experience give us some do's and don'ts?

DO..Go on the cruise and enjoy yourselves. DON'T...get stressed out over the holidays. For some reason it seems we all put unreasonable goals in front of ourselves for the holidays - shopping, decorating, etc...When the important thing is to share it with loved ones. If you SIL has leave during that time, then go on the cruise, have a great time, and let the "tinsel" fall where it may!

We did the 11 day Exotic Caribbean last year, leaving on Dec. 4. It was not bad because I knew well ahead that I would have to get things done early and especially be done with shopping. Fortunately I was and was able to enjoy the trip. If I had had a lot facing me when we returned it would definitely have been a different outcome.

I go the week after Thanksgiving every year. It's less expensive. Like you, in 2008 I'm actually going a bit later and get back a week before Christmas.

The good news is you have more than a year to start making your lists (for the cruise and Christmas). You have plenty of time to make plans, buy gifts, etc. Start now and by the time your cruise rolls around next year, you shouldn't have anything left to do:D

Me go this year too. Just barely 2 months removed from the last cruise.

:D

We are sailing too and will be back on the 22nd. We are counting that as most of our Christmas so it makes it fun. Hey I saw that you were on the Navigator of the Seas , thats what we will be sailing on. We've never been on Royal Carribean before, we are looking forward to it.

We are sailing too and will be back on the 22nd. We are counting that as most of our Christmas so it makes it fun. Hey I saw that you were on the Navigator of the Seas , thats what we will be sailing on. We've never been on Royal Carribean before, we are looking forward to it.

You will love the Navigator. We had a great time. Enjoy.

I did the same thing one year. I planned ahead and had my Christmas decorations up - presents bought, wrapped and under the tree by mid November. Had a great stress free Thanksgiving dinner then focused on packing and getting ready for the cruise. No crazy last minute what am I going to buy for so and so - running to the mall to pick up "more stuff" on sale etc. This was probably one of our better Christmases(sp).

You are not crazy, just cruise addicted.

:p;)

I did the same thing one year. I planned ahead and had my Christmas decorations up - presents bought, wrapped and under the tree by mid November. Had a great stress free Thanksgiving dinner then focused on packing and getting ready for the cruise. No crazy last minute what am I going to buy for so and so - running to the mall to pick up "more stuff" on sale etc. This was probably one of our better Christmases(sp).

Thanks for the encouragement. Now, if we can only be that disciplined.:)

If it's getting all the shopping done around the cruise, don't throw the cruise out with the shopping list ;) DO make a list of who you have to buy for. DO have some ideas of what you want to buy. And DO YOUR SHOPPING ON LINE! We sit down on a Friday or Saturday PM every year around Thanksgiving. We make a list and have a few drinks and shop around on line. Probably do about 85%+ of our holiday shopping that way. Most vendors offer free shipping (and sometimes even free gift wrapping or gift wrapping for a fee). Forget spending precious time driving from store to store searching for gifts- and a parking space! We still will pick up a few things in person just to keep it festive. And we do all the wrapping. But who needs lines and stressed out clerks. If you plan it right you can place your orders right before you go, select 7-14 day shipping and things will start arriving right after you get back from your cruise.

Some would say it's a Grinchy bah-humbug approach. I say it keeps me in the Holiday spirit of Goodwill towards Men much more than fighting over the last Tickle Me Elmo in stock at the 5th store. Much better to spend time with loved ones onboard. Even more so since your SIL is enlisted. Time is even more precious.

So cruise away-forget the stress and have fun! Thank you to your SIL for his service and to your family for your sacrifice!

DO..Go on the cruise and enjoy yourselves. DON'T...get stressed out over the holidays. For some reason it seems we all put unreasonable goals in front of ourselves for the holidays - shopping, decorating, etc...When the important thing is to share it with loved ones. If you SIL has leave during that time, then go on the cruise, have a great time, and let the "tinsel" fall where it may!

EXACTLY MY SENTIMENTS....I put up our three, (yes, 3) Christmas trees yesterday...they are yet to be decorated, but hey, they are out of the attic and UP! Get all the decos up and shopping done by Halloween and you are set to CRUISE with your loved one(s) till your hearts content for the holidays! Merry Christmas Everyone!

Trudy

If it's getting all the shopping done around the cruise, don't throw the cruise out with the shopping list ;) DO make a list of who you have to buy for. DO have some ideas of what you want to buy. And DO YOUR SHOPPING ON LINE! We sit down on a Friday or Saturday PM every year around Thanksgiving. We make a list and have a few drinks and shop around on line. Probably do about 85%+ of our holiday shopping that way. Most vendors offer free shipping (and sometimes even free gift wrapping or gift wrapping for a fee). Forget spending precious time driving from store to store searching for gifts- and a parking space! We still will pick up a few things in person just to keep it festive. And we do all the wrapping. But who needs lines and stressed out clerks. If you plan it right you can place your orders right before you go, select 7-14 day shipping and things will start arriving right after you get back from your cruise.

Some would say it's a Grinchy bah-humbug approach. I say it keeps me in the Holiday spirit of Goodwill towards Men much more than fighting over the last Tickle Me Elmo in stock at the 5th store. Much better to spend time with loved ones onboard. Even more so since your SIL is enlisted. Time is even more precious.

So cruise away-forget the stress and have fun! Thank you to your SIL for his service and to your family for your sacrifice!

Thanks! We haven't gone much on-line shopping for Christmas, but it sounds like the way to go! I will pass on the thanks to our SIL.

If doing most of your Christmas shopping online is a bah-humbug thing to do, then call me Scrooge. I think online shopping is great! Another great thing about cruising just before Christmas is that you might just find some perfect, unique gift for someone at one of the ports. But don't go counting on doing your shopping on the cruise (unless you know what you're looking for and where to get it). You don't need that pressure.

I don't think you're crazy at all. I am coming home on 12/23 this year and to tell you the truth, I'm not really sweating it a bit. Obviously with only a day before the holiday arrives, I realize I must be completely done with all shopping, wrapping, decorating and cards, so maybe that's why. I will simply have an early target date to be complete. I do quite a bit of decorating, but I will do that over the Thanksgiving weekend, so I have ample time to enjoy my efforts.

As for gifts, I am changing my normal habit of buying several gifts for people to one gift each, with the exception of my two kids, who are teenagers anyway, but even that will be less items than normal. With the price of the things these days, it's easy to focus on less in quantity and more in quality anyway.

My mom is treating me and my kids, as well as my brother to this cruise as a christmas gift, as she is ill and this may be her last christmas, we would rather cherish the memories we will certainly make. However, none of it would be worth it, if it was accompanied by stress.

So enjoy your time with your family and your holidays will take care of themselves!

and I think it will work out fine. We leave on Thanskgiving day, sail out of Barcelona on Dec 2 and will come home Dec 17. DS is on leave, we are sailing with him and his GF, and then they come back home with us right after the cruise. So my house will fill with dust and cobwebs and heavens knows what else... me, I will deal when I get home. I hope the GF understands that life in the tropics= lots of maintenance; hopefully she will have post- cruise glow and overlook any messes I leave as I rush out the door.

Before I leave, I will have my Christmas decorations up, a few gifts under the tree (the trip is our present really!) and call it good. I will ask my housekeeping lady to come by the day before we come home to freshen up the house- and if she can't, well I will have post- cruise glow and that will be enough.

(if it winds up badly I will post and let you all know my tragedies, they usually make for a good read.)

Archived