So many choices so little time!!! ??? on excursions

suzym

I was hoping to elicit some help from those more experianced Alaskan travelers to help us narrow our choices.

My husband would definately like to fish... Ship excursions are in Juneau and Ketchikan. We would also consider Kayaking. Is this for novices? Neither one of us have done this before. Kayaking is avaliable in all 3 ports Ketchikan is Whiskey cove,Clover Passage and Tatoosh Islands. Skagway is Glacier Lake and Juneau is Glacierview Kayaking.

Also in Skagway we are looking at the Eagle preserve wildlife quest by either jetboat or by float trip.

Is the musher camp really worth riding on a sled with wheels???

Anyone been on the Widlerness experiance and crab feed in Ketchikan ?

Thankds in advance for helping us out would like to hear some recommendations pros and cons. We are trying to mix this up a bit so we are not doing the same things over and over and getting the most out of our limited time.

Thanks Sue

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;09;05;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Serenade of the Seas Hubbard Glacier Cruise

I'm not an Alaska expert as this will be my first time there, but...

we are booked with SouthEast Kayaks in Ketchikan and will be doing the 4-hour Orca's Cove tour with them on our 10th anniversary. Here's their website if you're interested...

http://www.kayakketchikan.com/guidedtrips.html

When the search function on this board was working, I read some positive reviews about this excursion. One thing I like about booking with an independent is that the group size is limited to 6 (unless you are a private group). I've read many reviews of kayaking trips offered by the ships, and many times there are groups of 20+.

Hope this info helps...

***Nancy***

Song of Norway 12/79

Tropicale 12/84

Explorer of the Seas 8/3/02

Mariner of the Seas 1/4/04

Serenading to Alaska for our 10th anniversary!

Roll call for Serenade 8/1/04 click here

Time until our next cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;8;1;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0700

Ketchikan is the fishing capital, consider Northern Lights charter, kayaking is for everyone- no experience necessary- I always recommend Southeast Kayaks, also out of Ketchikan, but kayaking options out of Juneau are also good. Alaska requires repeat trips. icon_smile.gifWhen are you going?? There will be more eagles later in the season.

I just went kayaking with ssoceanadventures in Sitka last week and neither my brother or I had ever really kayaked before and we loved it. It was not as difficult as I thought it would be.

Some people on my trip did the Orca's Cove trip in ketchikan and they said that is was the higlight of their trip. Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. BudgetQueen we are leaving Sept. 5th hopefully we will be able to view eagles then. Good to hear that you don't have to be an expert kayaker.

Does anyone know what the weather will be like in early Sept.?? Thanks everyone keep those suggestions coming in.

Sue

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;09;05;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Serenade of the Seas Hubbard Glacier Cruise

Inside passage weather beg. of Sept - range of temps 44-65?? Dusk 7:30- 8pm approx. Take a variety of layers, knit hat gloves, 2 pair of walking shoes, rain gear, lightweight lined jacket.

Archived