Port of Galveston

busric

Bon Voyage!!!

I would appreciate any (good or bad) information about Port of Galveston. We plan to sail on the Rhapsody from there for 5 nights on Oct. 31. Need info on parking (safe) and any other info available.

Thanks!

Rick :D

WE flew it, so Parking wasnt an issue, and we got to the port later after most of the people who drove got on, around 2pm, and traffic was a breeze. Embarkation was only a 3 minute line!

Not bad at all! I hear people coming in early while people are still getting off make it a pain since you have double the traffic (those coming and those going)

Scott

I have cruised out of Galveston three times and have parked in the secure ships parking lot and have left my car at two different hotel parking lots and have never had any trouble with any of them. The easiest time was leaving my car at the hotel and taking a taxi each way instead of waiting for hotels shuttle, much faster.

Contact Ezcruiseparking.com for parking. Great people and service. :) I believe they will still be running their $35 per week special then (almost 1/2 the price of the "official" lot and the Dolphin lot. It is only 2 blocks straight South of the Rhapsody. They have a shuttle, but it is close enough to drop your bags at the ship, park, and walk back.

Show up about 10:30 or 11:00 to check-in and they will probably start boarding at noon with access to your room at 1:00.

Within walking distance of the port is The Strand. It's a part of town that has been renovated to include very neat shops, restaurants and bars. From The Strand you can take a cheap trolley ride ($1.25-$1.50?) to the Seawall (beach area). Our beaches are not beautiful like Florida, etc...so please don't be disappointed. However, there is shopping and restaurants along the Seawall as well.

Taking the trolley round trip is a great way to see Galveston. They narrate the ride and point out the various historical landmarks.

Enjoy our great city!

Thanks to all who replied! You have been a great help. I have been to Galveston once before in the mid 80s'. Ate at a seafood place called "The Blue Crab" I think it was called. The food was awesome and it doubled as an aviary when the garage doors were opened. The gulls would fly through and swipe food from your plates. We should have a full day at the end of the cruise to do the town tour.

Rick

Archived