price of Rio carnaval parade tickets is getting obscene

owl61

price of Rio carnaval parade seats

For those going on the Azamara cruise of Jan 28 leaving from Buenos Aires rt with a 4 day port stay in Rio for carnaval or for anyone who will be in Rio for carnaval in 2008 ...

I got a call from my local travel agent this afternoon. He advises that his price for sector 9 frisa (quasi box) seats for the main samba school parades on Sunday and Monday of carnaval are R$ 1400 or USD 770 each at todays exchange rate. Prices for tourists will be higher as the time passes.

Frisa seats for the second division parade on Saturday (first day in port) are R$140 ($80). That should be on everyone's agenda who goes on this cruise and who doesnt want to spend $900 for a decent seat at the first division parade.

This is the company I used last year. I purchased the first day the tickets were available in September 2006. I found the prices to be fair and the service OUTSTANDING. Tickets were delivered to the concierge at our hotel two days before we arrived in Rio. They also have tickets to all the balls and costumes if you want to participate in the parade and not just watch. There are no section 9 tickets available (the tourist section). Probably bought out by the cruise lines and packaged tour companies from outside Brazil.

http://www.rio-carnival.net/index.php

• 2 weeks later...

We were just in Rio earlier this year for the Carnaval. If you are arriving in Rio on the cruise ship I would go with the cruise ship excursion. It will be more expensive but you will be dropped off in a much more secure environment. Also, the other advantage is most cruise lines run buses from the stadium back to the ship on a regular schedule so that you can easily leave when you want and not have to worry about taking public transporation. It is more money although the price was around what you said and that was through the cruise line and included transfers.

Keith

Archived