Questions about winter cruise from NYC to Carribean

WantVacation

If you've taken a cruise

from New York City

to the Carribean before,

I'd like your feedback...

I'm thinking of taking a January cruise from NYC to the Carribean, but I'm concerned about whether the waves/weather gets rough in the Atlantic Ocean during that time of the year. However, I get motion sickness if it's too rocky, so I wanted to find out how steady are the ships through winter atlantic waters.

What has your experience been? THanks!

You're going to get responses that are 50-50 on this. You're out of hurricane season so that isn't a problem. If you're going to do this cruise and you tend to get seasick, get a room in the middle of the ship and as low as possible. Less rocking. I cruise every December, mostly out of NY, and I think on one out of 5 we had rough seas. The ship seemed to handle it okay but that's a relative term I guess. I would say "Go For It'. But what else would I do. This has been discussed a few times here.

We have sailed out of NYC (Dec/Jan) and as Grandpaul as said you will find a variety of answers b/c the weather gives a variety of things to handle even in the winter. You could run into a storm up the east coast or the weather can be calm and fairly warm. On our cruise the seas were calm coming and going from NYC and it was warm enough to be in shorts on the second day ( usually you will be off the coast of the Carolina's by then). If you are prone to motion sickness these were the tips given to us, as Grandpaul said. 1. Get a cabin in the middle of ship on a low deck, this will reduce the effects of motion. 2. pick a larger ship. A larger ship is less effected by waves. 3. If unsure, there is many motion sickness medications that can be taken, but they have to be taken prior to sailing not once you start to feel the motion.

Any motion will usually be felt that first day out and the last day back. Good luck, sailing from NYC is a great experience at any time of the year.

Our cruise out of New York has been the only time I have been seasick. We were going through the tail end of tropical storm Andrea. It was wonderful to sail out of New York and the Statue of Liberty. One thing I did not like was that it was cold.

Last January, late, we had smooth sailing the entire ten days out of NYC except for about 12 hours off the Carolina coast. We were told when we got back into NYC they had been told to expect the worst commute of the year so far that day, but nothing. I found the Pacific to be rougher the year before when we were sailing to/from Fanning Island and the Hawaiian Islands.

Take seasickness precautions and enjoy. Weather is such a fickle thing.

Archived