bringing a first time cruiser with a fear of cruising...

LuckiePuris

hi,

i am going on a cruise in under 3 months.

this will be my third cruise and im going with two first-timers.

one of my friend's is feeling a little anxious about the cruise.

she hasnt said exactly why, but just because it is a big ship and the deep ocean and she's scared of getting sick.

we will be travelling on pacific dawn (previously regal princess).

how can i help calm her nerves?

Maybe you can help her by getting her to identify what exactly she's afraid of. Is she afraid of deep water? Crowds? Heights? Germs? Seasickness? New experiences? Or if she's like me and hates flying, maybe it's the air transport that's making her hesitate.

In general, it's impossible to talk someone out of their fears, so don't try. Don't use logic or statistics. Don't tell her that her fears will all go away once she's onboard. And of course, never ever ridicule someone's fears; it's not only ineffective but unkind. Her fears may seem irrational to others, but they are very real to her.

If you can get her to identify what the fear is, ask her to describe it in as much detail as possible. Let her know that it's OK to be afraid. Let her know that you won't pressure her about the thing she fears. Let her know that the rest of you will be near her during the whole time, especially when she's feeling afraid. Ask her if there's something special that you can do to help when she's feeling scared (hold her hand, take her immediately to a safer-feeling place, make silly faces to make her laugh, etc).

Mostly, just be a kind, understanding, non-judgmental friend. Let her know that you don't want to change her, and that if she decides to cruise, you'll be there for her 24/7. Knowing that might just make her decide to risk it. Good luck!

If getting sick is what spooks her, take along seasickness meds. If it's a fear of deep water, assure her that cruising is one of the safer modes of transportation. Our friend was very anxious before her first cruise, but got over her fears once she was on the ship. For her, the largeness of it was what calmed her fears. We've sailed on the Regal and she's not really that big - at least not today. She is, however, a grand ship and was beautifully appointed when we sailed her as the Regal. We especially enjoy the movie theater. It was impossible to tell that you were on a ship there, so that might be a place to take her once on board.

The fact that she agreed to go with you shows how much she trusts you. Talk with her calmly, don't belittle her fears and hopefully she'll come to realize that the ship is safe and non threatening.

Charlie

I agree with the above responses...also, once they get on the ship and have a day or so to get acclimated, your friends will probably forget they are moving until they arrive at a new port!

Also, the discovery channel (or discovery science channel) is re-airing its 'BUILD IT BIGGER' show this week.....you may want to see if they can watch/record/TiVo that.....even if you aren't on a RC ship....It's about Freedom, Liberty and Independence of the seas...so it may help them understand that it is safe, and that it will float! Plus it was just a very interesting program...could have easily lasted a couple more hours!

And, that fact that you have cruised before should help-you obviously loved it.....have a great time!

Give her a preventative (like Bonine) and she'll have to discover the rest on her own. You can't really talk someone out of their nervousness. Once she's onboard, she'll realize that her fears were unfounded and have a great time.

• 2 weeks later...

I can understand how she feels. We are going on our first cruise and I am really looking forward to it. There are times, however, I get motion sickness and I do not want this to ruin my cruise. There are boats I have been on that must have good stabilizers or something and there is no problem but then there are those other times.

Can anyone please tell me what has worked for them?

Thanks,

Terry

Give your anxious friend some frames of reference--

-Ask if your friend gets car-sick--I found carrying a tray on the buffet deck in moderately high seas comparable to walking down the center aisle of a bus or train in motion--not hard but requiring a bit of care and attention.

--Point out that the ship is pretty much a 12- to 14-story city block-long by quarter-city-block wide shopping mall/hotel which weighs more than twice as much as most aircraft carriers and about 20 thousand tons more than the largest battleship ever built in history--the Yamato (79.000 tons).

--tell your friend to give their body a couple of days to get used to the motion--sea legs--but have a ready-supply of dramamine, bonine, ginger, etc., ready just in case.

It's almost impossible to tell another person how to feel, their feelings are their own. You can only reassure her that millions of people cruise happily every year and she should try to relax and determine if she likes it after her first cruise. It's not for everyone, but most who cruise fall in love with it. The fact that she has plans to go is a major step for her.

The thought of driving long distances will tie my stomach into knots. So much so that I won't go if I can't fly there. Yet, so many people love RV'ing and road trips...I'd rather stick pins in my eyes. When people post they drive 14, 18, 24 hours or more to get to their cruise destination I cringe. If it takes more than a 4 hour drive, I just won't go.

Some people cannot set foot on an airplane and their lives can be severely hampered by it, travel is not impossible but far more difficult because of it. The majority of us will feel that is unreasonable, but those feelings are theirs and we cannot change them.

So, hopefully she won't cancel because of her fears and she will see, after she is onboard the ship, that her fears are a bit unfounded.

Suggest to her that everyone was concerned about getting sick their first time.

Secondly, tell her that once your are on having a cocktail next to the pool waiting for the ship to depart, she won't even notice......or, option B, she can stay home and go to work :) .

I remember in 2003 when we took our first cruise we were all nervous, there was a group of 6 of us and none of us had cruised.. it was soooo funny

when the ship departed,, we were walking around like drunks ,, we werent drinking yet ;) just the motion made us lose our balance it was hilarious, that was the funniest thing that happened,,we were falling into walls, and tripping,, OMG it was crazy . but since then weve been hooked

just get all the motion sickness med, and tell her dont think about it or else she will be sick.. the more you think of it , the more you will feel it

take care

Melissa

Archived