TA or on your own

LauraStrick

I know this has been asked before, but I cannot find the thread. I have just booked 3 cabins f(entire family) or a cruise next Dec and another cruise for just my DH and myself in March 2009 directly with RCCI. The last time we cruised we used a wonderful TA. I am now trying to decide whether I should let her take these cruises and manage for us, or just do on my own. Have never done one completely on my own, we've always used this TA. But couldn't reach early this am and wanted to get 3 cabins together for the Dec cruise, so felt I should act quickly after I found them. What are your thoughts?:confused:

We have cruised Holland American and Carnival and I have always done our own bookings. Haven't cruised RCCL before so don't know how they work. Carnival is very good to work with. You have a personal planner and you talk with the same person all the time and can call directly to them with any questions and they take care of everything for you. I always do our own flights and hotel bookings. It has always worked out fine.

Have a great cruise.

I know this has been asked before, but I cannot find the thread. I have just booked 3 cabins f(entire family) or a cruise next Dec and another cruise for just my DH and myself in March 2009 directly with RCCI. The last time we cruised we used a wonderful TA. I am now trying to decide whether I should let her take these cruises and manage for us, or just do on my own. Have never done one completely on my own, we've always used this TA. But couldn't reach early this am and wanted to get 3 cabins together for the Dec cruise, so felt I should act quickly after I found them. What are your thoughts?:confused:

I would say use the TA if you like her. I my self will never ever use a TA again. I used one for our first cruise back in Feb of 06. I was new to the whole cruising things, so I thought it was best to use one. Then when we took our second cruise in Sept of 06, I just booked straight with Carinval. Well, then when I was deciding on our third cruise DH wanted me to just book with Carinval but silly me decided to give the TA one more try. Boy, did I make a mistake. I wish I could fire her and just deal with Carnival. I will never use a TA again. But if you have used one that you like and you feel she does a good job, then go for it.

RCI does not allow discounting so unless a TA is holding group space you should not be finding cheaper rates than directly thru the cruiseline.

However, if a TA is offering OBC, then I would let them manage my bookings otherwise why bother? You can transfer the bookings up until you sail (but it isnt as easy as people here would have you believe). I wanted to transfer a booking I made to the 1-866-XXX # for RCI and I had to fill out a form and either mail it or fax it in (dont have a fax) to transfer it to one of the warehouse grocery chains who will give OBC. I cancelled after 5 hours on hold between them. I was aggravated with RCI. I figure if they will allow me to make the booking they should allow me to verbally tell them I want to transfer the dumb booking. They kept telling me it was for my own good, BS.

I'll vote for a Travel Agency. You have a live person that you can talk to face-to-face and a physical address to go to. And if you use the same agency everytime you take a trip, whether its by ship, train or plane they (the agent) gets to know you likes and dislikes.

You can transfer the bookings up until you sail (but it isnt as easy as people here would have you believe). BS.

I thought the ability to transfer a booking ended when full payment was made. Isn't that when the TA earns/ receives a commission?

You can go ahead and book them and then have them move the reservation to the agent of your choice. That is what I did when I saw a great special come up and had to act quick - I booked them direct and then had them transfered to the agent after I spoke to her later that day. But this way I got it booked when I wanted it but she can manage it. :) Debbie

Archived