Trying to Avoid Spring Break Crowd on Majesty

ssolomon56

I'm getting ready to book our Anniversary/Birthday cruise for March and need some help. My birthday is March 8th...and our anniversary is the 10th. So, we generally cruise at that time.

I'm considering either the Majesty leaving out of Charleston on the 8th...or the Spirt leaving out of New Orleans on the 9th. In reading these reviews, I'm concerned that we may encounter a crowd of drunken Spring Break kids. Various reviews have mentioned that they encouage heavy drinking by offering a $250. "all you can drink" package. :eek:

Any suggestions? And...is there any way to find out if this would be a "safe week" for me for either of these cruises?

I'm getting ready to book our Anniversary/Birthday cruise for March and need some help. My birthday is March 8th...and our anniversary is the 10th. So, we generally cruise at that time.

I'm considering either the Majesty leaving out of Charleston on the 8th...or the Spirt leaving out of New Orleans on the 9th. In reading these reviews, I'm concerned that we may encounter a crowd of drunken Spring Break kids. Various reviews have mentioned that they encouage heavy drinking by offering a $250. "all you can drink" package. :eek:

Any suggestions? And...is there any way to find out if this would be a "safe week" for me for either of these cruises?

I cruised CCL last March (first week) and there were a lot of college kids...all were from the south. SO, I'm not quite sure you're going to avoid spring breakers any time in March to be honest.

Personally, we had a FABULOUS cruise and I'd do it again. It was a lot of fun. The kids were great and quite entertaining.

I cruised CCL last March (first week) and there were a lot of college kids...all were from the south. SO, I'm not quite sure you're going to avoid spring breakers any time in March to be honest.

Personally, we had a FABULOUS cruise and I'd do it again. It was a lot of fun. The kids were great and quite entertaining.

Thanks....did you cruise out of New Orleans or Charleston?

Thanks....did you cruise out of New Orleans or Charleston?

Neither. Cruised out of Tampa, but we spoke with a whole lot of kids and most were from southern schools. Also, this was a 5 day cruise, which would attract more college kids in the first place.

In all honesty, the cruise wasn't like the horror stories I'd read about on these boards. The kids were absolute fun.

My previous cruise prior to this one was on a 14 day Panama Canal sailing. The average age on board was 65. Personally, I prefered sailing with the college kids. (I'm 45 by the way...so midway between college and AARP ;) )

DANG! :eek: Just realized I'm much closer to AARP.........man, that sucks.

We cruised out of New York this past March during Spring break. There were over 1,000 students on board and it wasn't a problem at all. In fact, after the first day, it was pretty quiet. I think they were up so late partying (while we were sleeping) that they didn't crawl out of bed until sometime in the afternoon. There didn't appear to be any trouble on the ship, and we would definitely go again during this time without any concerns. Go and enjoy!

We took the NCL Majesty in March out of Charleston. There were spring breakers, yes. But, we only noticed them most on the sundeck. My dh and I had a great cruise getting away from our kids even with other kids aboard. It was cute because we ate dinner and then went on an excursion with one couple that got engaged during the excursion we were on. We were the first people they told since we had dinner with them the night before. It was kinda neat and that they were excited to tell us.

Anyway, the cruise was not much different for me than the other ones I was on except the sun bathing crowd was younger and skinnier than most. LOL.

Between Colleges and Public Schools, you will find Spring breaks anytime from the begining of March to the middle to end of April. With Easter, 2008 being early (March 23 I believe.), you will find March cruises to be heavier with Spring Breakers than April cruises.

You'll have lots of college kids on any 7 day cruise in March! And yes, they can be rowdy- and will certainly take over the sunning decks (OK, not early in the morning- they'll still be asleep). We've been on the Spirit and certainly recommend her. The Majesty is smaller, so if you do have large groups, they will not be able to disperse as well on her as they will on the Spirit. DD was on the Majesty in March 06 and complained about how crowded it was with drunken college students (and she and her three girlfriends were all college students at the time). Whichever ship you choose, pay a little more for a "better" cabin- that is, not one on the lower decks. Most of the cabins on these decks will be booked for groups-4 to a cabin- so the doors will be left open so that the partygoers can stroll from cabin to cabin; this is cute at 5 PM and very annoying at 3 AM.

One way to avoid too many college kids in March is to take a longer cruise. Most school breaks are only one week, so you could opt for a 9 day cruise.

Myself and about 11 fellow college friends from East Carolina University are headed on this cruise. We booked through a college site and they do offer a special that is 800 bucks for cruise and all inclusive alcohol. She said that out of 1100 cruisers, about 950 from last spring break were from college so we are stoked. Our motto is we pregame harder than you party so if you go, you will know who to look for :D We dont get too out of control but spring break and taken a break from school does seem to make everyone wild.

Have a fun and safe cruise! DD (& friends) loved their Majesty Spring Break cruise (in spite of the fact that some of the passengers did get too drunk & rowdy) (and yes, DD & her friends do drink & party!) Just remember as you're tempted to do something really outrageous- your parents and grandparents (and future employers) may see you on YouTube (see previous post). Don't do anything to embarass yourself!

Since you'll be partying- get trip insurance (see www dot insuremytrip dot com); it'll be cheap since you're young. You never know when something will happen (DD's roomie had her appendix rupture on another trip- we're talking big bucks and virtually no US medical plans cover foreign countries). Also, don't rent mopeds, cars, etc (roads on these islands are not as safe as in USA- two friends skid on gravel- missed the boat, had to pay for damaged mopeds, hospital visits, etc). DD recommends NCL's shore excursion in Grand Cayman- the combo excursion- Stingray City, snorkelling, then on to a beach for lunch and relaxing- they had a wonderful time!

At the risk of repeating previous posters, you will have kids/families on any week long or shorter cruise in March or April. First come the southern college students, then the southern public school students, then the northern college students, then the northern public school students. That being said, we've cruised during that time and never had a problem.

Archived