Refurbs? When do ships go in?

sandy toes

I bet this has been asked somewhere in the past. Sorry, here goes again... Is there a place we can go to find when a certain ship will be going into dry dock to be refurbed? I would like to book on one AFTER instead of just before! That has happened in the past and I don't want it again. It seemed like staff just did not care when I sailed the last week prior to refurb. It was not one of my better times on ship...although, most any cruise is better than NO cruise!!!

No website for that. What you have to do is go to each individual cruise line websites and see which ships have a large gap between scheduled cruises---that pretty much indicates that a ship will be off line for dry or wet dock. Most cruise ships go for dry/wet docks every 26 to 34 months.

Ships generally go into drydock when they need large-scale mechanical repairs, hull maintenance, or equipment upgrades. Some work might be done on the interiors but it is quite rare for a ship to be completely remodeled. Maintenance that people would call "refurbishing" (and I really, really don't like that term anyway) takes place on a continual basis while the ship is in service.

go to cruisestateroom.com

go to the public sight, click on the ship, and then click on facts..

it will tell you if theres any scheduled drydock for that ship

then if you go back and click public places for that ship , you can see what is going to be done..

melika091900 Thank you!!!! for the site

spongerob Sorry I did not know any other term for what happens to the ship when they go into dry dock but refurb. I was not meaning the routine up keep that is on going but a change in decor, new sinks, a new cafe or club, that sort of thing.

• 4 weeks later...
. Maintenance that people would call "refurbishing" (and I really, really don't like that term anyway) takes place on a continual basis while the ship is in service.

In the case of Majesty of the Seas, this ship was reburbished in late January of 2007. It was quite transformed from its former self with new bedding, carpets, reconfigured lounges and Windjammer, the addition of a Johnny Rockets, Sorrentos Pizza and Compass Deli. The Atrium was redesigned. The spa was reconfigured and the gym. There were conference rooms added. In many ways the ship seemed brand new, although there was enough of the former ship for one to realize it was still Majesty of the Seas. It would be very hard and uneconomical to turn Majesty into Liberty of the Seas, for example, or even Mariner of the Seas.

But I do consider what was done to Majesty a refurbishment and it would have been impossible to do much of this work while the ship was still conducting cruises as usual.

ANother ship that underwent a even more dramatic refurbishment was Enchanment of the SEas when it was "stretched" and an entirely new section was set right down into the middle of the ship. The ship was taken out of service for its stretching. Again, this could not have been achieved while the ship was in service.

Archived