Barcelona to Paris via overnight train

We will arrive in Barcelona on April 26, 2008, after a TA from Ft. Lauderdale. We plan to spend the day in Barcelona and then take the overnight train to Paris and stay there for 5 nights before heading back home. Has anyone taken the overnight train before? I understand the private cabins on the train are very small and have bunk beds, a toilet & shower. Dinner is included. The fare is less than flying there and getting a hotel. I'd appreciate your comments. Maggie

I haven't done the Barcelona-Paris route, but did take the overnight train from Frankfurt to Paris a couple of years ago.

Yes, the compartment is quite tiny. It was fine for one person. I don't know if the compartments for two are larger. However, I thought it was an excellent way to travel. As you mention, it was cheaper than flying and paying for a hotel. You can sleep on the train (I found the rocking motion very conducive to sleep) and arrive refreshed and ready to go in Paris.

IIRC, the "shower" is really just a shower head above the toilet. I didn't make use of it but I remember thinking you'd practically have to straddle the toilet!

The Talgo Trenhotels are run by Elipsos. Here is their site http://www.elipsos.com/htm/default.htm?lang=3

we plan to go the other way in May. I got loads of info from this site http://www.seat61.com/Spain.htm

scroll down a bit. London - Barcelona includes the bits about Barcelona to Paris. We plan to go Gran Classe to get a cabin to ourselves with dinner and breakfast thrown in. Main reason we are doing it is flight baggae restrictions, but also because I love travelling by train.

Have fun.

Simon

For anyone who likes trains, this is a great trip! FWIW, I agree with your choice for Gran Classe.

One point .. just in case you have overlooked it...The train does not leave from the main station in Barcleona. Rather it departs from Barcelona Estacion de Franca. Or, at least it did when I took it. Make sure to check.

Paul

Sounds like you have done the trip Paul. If so, got a couple of questions.

Looking at the photos I couldn't see any baggage space, but it mentions space over the door (in the corridor roof space). Is this correct and will you get a biggish case up there?

If you are a bit slow finishing breakfast and the train rolls in at about 8.30am, do they chuck you off or do you have a bit of time to get yourself organised?

If we get to Paris early I believe there is a lounge available before we board. Any idea what time this opens and how early we can get on the train?

To your other point, it is still advertised as running between Gare d'Austerlitz, Paris and Estacion Franca, Barcelona.

Thanks

Simon

• 4 months later...

We are planning the exact same trip--in fact we arrive in Barcelona on the

26th via the Navigator--is that your ship too?

Have you purchased your tix yet? I am trying to figure out how to purchase the tix without paying, what appears to be, a surcharge for US--have you figured it out yet?

• 2 weeks later...
We are planning the exact same trip--in fact we arrive in Barcelona on the

26th via the Navigator--is that your ship too?

Have you purchased your tix yet? I am trying to figure out how to purchase the tix without paying, what appears to be, a surcharge for US--have you figured it out yet?

There are some options for buying the tickets online and picking them up in Paris to get the best rate.

We talked to our travel agent and were able to get the Joan Miro Gran Class tickets at a special rate, $529 versus the $790 as shown on the raileurope.com site. She got them through Raileurope, but that rate isn't shown on their US site.

Archived