To Formal or Not To Formal

Do you want to do away with formal dining nights?  

396 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to do away with formal dining nights?

• Yes! Take them away!!!!
    • Heck no! Please don't make 'em go!
    • I am undecided on the issue at this time.

Yes, Yes, Yes! I love formal nights! I dress to the nines since its really the only opportunity I have to do so. My DH looks devastatingly handsome in a formal suit and I do love the sparklies for me:D

What I meant to say was "No" because I don't want them to go away.

Again - just like every previous poll on this subject.

Keep the formal nights wins by a 4 to 1 margin. I'd say that is reason enough to keep the formal nights.

Now IF we could only get RCI to make the dining staff enforce the rules.

Which "rules" are those...oh never mind....that's another thread.

Okay, I'll start the poll. Do you want to do away with the formal dining?

Nope. I just spent a wad on a new formal for the upcoming cruise....I love having a chance to dress up with DH and *dine*.....don't *ever* take it away!!!!:D:D

Fran in Toronto

Why in the world would you take away something that has more than one alternative that cruisers can take advantage of. (Apologies to my English teacher - I know ending a sentence in a preposition is a no-no!:p )

If a diner does not want to "dress up" for dinner, he/she/they can choose the Windjammer, a specialty restaurant (or two on some ships), room service, etc.

If formal dining is taken away, what alternative does the cruiser have who enjoys "dressing up" have then? Wear a tux/gown to the Windjammer or while eating on their balcony? What a hoot that would be! I can envision the flood of posts from "casual" diners who were appalled by cruisers wearing tuxes/gowns in the WJ!

Leave well enough alone and worry about things that are more important, IMHO.

If you choose to dress up, great, and I will admire your finery. However, do not relegate me to the Windjammer because I choose not to dress up.

If you choose not to dress then you are the one relegating yourself to the WJ.

I'm not sure why it is so difficult for some to put on a shirt and tie or a cocktail dress for dinner.:confused: You don't need a tux or ball gown to be dressed appropriately for formal nights.

We voted to keep the formal nights, however, we must admit to being a little ambivalent about the subject.

We were recently on a 15 day cruise that had three formal nights. We attended the first of these events, she in her gown and me in my tux, and we had a wonderful time. But, one formal night was enough for us and the other two formal nights were spend peacefully in the Windjammer.

Formal nights, as someone correctly observed, are not the gala events they once were and that formal in the cruise ship sense is not really formal at all. Wearing a business suit and tie or a sports jacket to a truely formal function would be rather inapproprate.

But, that aside, we think that formal nights present a very special opportunity for people to dress-up in their fancy duds an enjoy a unique and fulfilling evening.

For many people, formal nights are an integral part of the cruise experience. Nobody is forced to attend and there are plenty of other dining options for those who balk at the formal idea, so why do away with it?

De men say no BUTT de ladies say yes:p

I am a Man and I say Yes!!!!!

Its nice to see my DW in a nice dress. She can also wear them on the next cruise as its unlikely anyone has seen them before.:D

I LOVE formal nights!

I don't understand why so many people complain about extra packing for the formal nights.

DH rents a tux from the cruiseline which takes care of 2 night's worth of clothing for him, including the shoes.

I bring a long black taffeta skirt and two dark tops, neither of which wrinkle. The shoes that I wear with these outfits can also be worn with my smart casual clothes.

Life has become so casual these days, it's nice to take the time out to dress up and have a special night in the dinng room.

Please don't take away our formal nights. If you don't enjoy them, there are several other options on most ships!

Cheers,

If you choose to dress up, great, and I will admire your finery. However, do not relegate me to the Windjammer because I choose not to dress up.

Keep the formal nights, enforce the dress code. Eat at Windjammer if you don't want to play. Just like any other fine restaraunt dress code. No shirt no shoes, (no tux) no service. You are aware of the program before you sign on for the cruise m'dear.

I voted to do away with them. Like a previous poster, I've done it enough that I now do the minimal - dress slacks, and glitzy top to get by the fashion police. I am really looking forward to our next cruise on Azamara - no formal nights! But I'll be back in costume at Christmas on RCCL.

Keep them! That is part of the magic and ambience of a cruise. For the people who don't want formal nights and dress like mutts at dinner, find a cruise line that doesn't have them and cruise with them. Casual, neat dress at dinner is not a problem with me, but I like formal at least one night.

Archived