To Formal or Not To Formal

Do you want to do away with formal dining nights?  

396 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to do away with formal dining nights?

• Yes! Take them away!!!!
    • Heck no! Please don't make 'em go!
    • I am undecided on the issue at this time.

Formal Night is a part of the sales package that draws some new and repeat cruisers to Royal Caribbean. It is also a revenue generator for the photo gallery, tuxedo rentals, blah blah... It's an extra thing on the cruise that doesn't cost them anything extra, it requires the passengers to spend money!

Given that these are things that increase money in Royal Caribbean's pockets ... why throw away possible revenue?

The only reason they would do away with formal night is if people just stopped cruising specifically because the line had it ... thus decreased revenue.

Opinions here/elsewhere aren't going to amount to squat, they'll do what affects their bottom line.

If you don't like formal evenings, choose a cruiseline that doesn't have them. Or, don't cruise! Take a land-based vacation at an AI and stay in your shorts and flip-flops! Go camping! Stay home and build a pool!

Don't mess with everyone else's fun!

If you don't like formal evenings, choose a cruiseline that doesn't have them. Or, don't cruise! Take a land-based vacation at an AI and stay in your shorts and flip-flops! Go camping! Stay home and build a pool!

Don't mess with everyone else's fun!

I guess there is always a group, fortunately a very small group, that want to "dumb down" the cruise experience. They want to change the formal night, they want to change the set dining times, they wish to have people come to the concierge club that are "friends" of theirs, etc. I'm really glad to see the silent majority speak up! Good show!

It would be a lot cheaper to not have the formal night as the women in my family really like to go all out, but there is something about when we are all dressed up and feeling good. We would not give it up. Even my kids and their spouses like it. It is different, and it is a vacation to remember. Now I just wish the cruise lines would enforce the dress code on formal nights. There are plenty of other options on the ship if you don't want to get dressed up

I love formal nights! It gives me an excuse to wear my prom dress(es) and feel glamourous for one (or more depending on the length of the cruise) night. :D

If I don't want to participate (say I'm on a 4 nighter) then I'll just go to the WJ that one night, but don't take away the experience for everyone else.

I like them...but I also don't care if other people don't participate...I just think it's nice to dress up if you wish...have a picture or two taken with/without your family and have a really nice dinner. Sometimes I dress to the nines and sometimes I just dress like for Sunday dinner...it's no big deal if others don't want to get dressed up. But I must say I really do like looking at all the people that are dressed formally...they look so nice.

Rev

Keep them. You don't have to participate if you don't want to ... there is always the Windjammer . . .

But I love dressing up and watching everyone else dress up. Don't you notice that everyone walks alittle taller and smiles a little more when they are wearing evening cloths? Very nice.

No to formal nights.

I know it sounds crazy, but it is such a pain to pack formal clothes that will still look formal come formal night.

Plus, a lot of ppl go beyond all-out and because I don't, I feel out of place. I don't want to miss the DR though so I do dress up, but definitely not to the scale of other people.

I understand why ppl enjoy it. It's just not my thing.

I'm more concerned about other cruise ship issues though more than this...like...pullleeezzzee......give me a chocolate buffet! ;)

Archived