Berlin As Part Of Itinerary?

Stelladoro

Hi, we trying to decide whether or not to include Berlin (Warnemunde) as part of the itinerary for a cruise to the Baltic next summer. I understand the distance from the port to Berlin is quite far, so a good part of the day would be spent travelling to and from the port. Is there enough time left to sightsee? Would we be better off seeing Berlin on a land tour?

DH and I try to select the itinerary first and then the ship, especially for port intensive regions.

Your advice is appreciated!

Mary

We stopped in Warnemunde in 2003, but chose not to go to Berlin. We were in the minority - most people took the train to Berlin. They left at about 7AM and didn't get back until after 8PM at the earliest. For us, we felt that we would prefer to see Berlin on a land tour; however, everyone who made the trip said they enjoyed it.

But there is a lot to do closer to the port as well - cities such as Rostock, Guestrow and Bad Doberan to name a few. Also, if you are looking for a leisurely day, Warnemunde itself is a nice small town to explore on your own.

I basically agree with SarasMom.

Berlin is an interesting city and it it well worth a multi-day visit. However, it is a long way from the Baltic. Rostock, in particular, is worth a visit and is much closer. Is it Berlin? Heck, no. If you want to see Berlin, Air Berlin is a great low cost airlines (there are several others serving the city) so it is easy to get there from wherever you start (or end) you cruise as pre or post cruise self-directed add-on.

Paul

We went to Berlin, and had lots of fun.

I think the OP's question is "whether to include Warnemunde in the cruise itinerary" (instead of "whether to go to Berlin when the cruise docks in Warnemunde"). In this case, I would ask what the alternatives are.

I am going to presume you're cruising with Princess from Copenhagen. When I did this cruise I decided to stay in Berlin before the cruise for 4 nights and then 3 nights in Copenhagen. The advantage was by the time of the cruise I was already aclimated to the time changes and is was really a big advantage. I flew into Berlin Tegel the first day and for the next 3 days toured Berlin staying at a hotel in Berlin Mitte area. Three days wasn't even enough to see and do everything. There are 2 ways getting from Berlin to Copenhagen, air or train. Air from Berlin to Copenhagen is inexpensive using Air Berlin. The only thing is this airline is a low cost carrier so luggage could be a problem, check to see the cost for each bag, ect. I took the train midday between 11 and 12 in the morning. It is more expensive, I believe I paid approximately $150 for a oneway ticket. There is a quick change of trains in Hamburg which you only had to go across the platform 20 or 30 feet for the train to Copenhagen. Arrived in central Copehagen at 6 or 6:30 in the evening. From there I pulled my luggage and walked a few blocks to my hotel. A few days later at appoximately 2:30 in the afternoon I picked up my luggage I left at the desk of my hotel, walked a few blocks and took city bus number 26 to the Star Princess. Good luck with your planning and I'm sure you'll really enjoy this cruise. Ken...

We're booked on the NCL Jewel for July 28, 2008. This cruise is a very expensive one and the port for Berlin is on the itinerary - I wish that NCL would stop in Oslo instead. However, we selected this cruise because we think that "freestyle" cruising will work better with such a port intensive schedule. We have to use FF miles and London to Dover seems to be our best bet. Any thoughts?

Hi, we trying to decide whether or not to include Berlin (Warnemunde) as part of the itinerary for a cruise to the Baltic next summer. I understand the distance from the port to Berlin is quite far, so a good part of the day would be spent travelling to and from the port. Is there enough time left to sightsee? Would we be better off seeing Berlin on a land tour?

DH and I try to select the itinerary first and then the ship, especially for port intensive regions.

Your advice is appreciated!

Mary

Berlin (Warnemunde) was on our port intensive itinerary last July. We selected the ships tour - Berlin by Train & River. The train ride was quite comfortable, they fed us well, and the scenery was interesting. We thoroughly enjoyed the tour, seeing all the highlights of Berlin by bus and river, having a great german lunch in a Hof Brau. The train ride back was relaxing. Although it was a long day, we would definitely recommend it and it was a highlight for our group of six. Good luck on your travels.

Do you recall what the cost of the train and river trip was? How many people were on this excursion?

It was expensive - a little over $300 per person (ship tour), but well worth it. Don't know exactly how many people were on this as they had many train cars. Each train car had several cubicals that seated six people. There was a restroom in each train car. We were assigned to a bus and guide when we arrived in Berlin and just stayed with that group (maybe 40 people in our group). We did not feel "crowded" or rushed. It was a nice journey.

It was expensive - a little over $300 per person (ship tour), but well worth it. Don't know exactly how many people were on this as they had many train cars. Each train car had several cubicals that seated six people. There was a restroom in each train car. We were assigned to a bus and guide when we arrived in Berlin and just stayed with that group (maybe 40 people in our group). We did not feel "crowded" or rushed. It was a nice journey.

Sailaway5, which cruise ship provides this tour?

Sailaway5, which cruise ship provides this tour?

Mary:

We were on the Holland American Prinsendam. I believe that Princess would also have this excursion (they are ran by the same company --- Carnival). Other cruise lines would probably have something similar. Which ship are you considering? The Baltic is awesome - you will have a great time.

Archived